Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2016 10:05:19 PM EDT
So my benelli m2 will sometimes not release the next round onto the lift plate. It has a +25% power spring, mostly shooting 4 buck, 2's and 7.5s, does not do it on one specific shell nor all the time. Just wondering what could be causing it?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 11:15:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So my benelli m2 will sometimes not release the next round onto the lift plate. It has a +25% power spring, mostly shooting 4 buck, 2's and 7.5s, does not do it on one specific shell nor all the time. Just wondering what could be causing it?

Thanks,
View Quote

How many rounds do you have through it?  Is it good and broken in?

Doc
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 2:16:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thousands, it is good and broken in.

Thanks,
Boswell
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Time for a detail strip.

I would examine the carrier latch, pins and spring.

Take the magazine follower out and make sure it isn't dented or binds in the magazine tube.

There are some know-how Benelli guys ] on this board- keep at it until it is running 100% as it should!
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:21:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Is the gun and its parts all factory-  or has it been “tuned”.

Does it have an extended magazine tube?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:16:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

All factory parts, and yes it has a mag extensions.
I don't think its the mag extension as it has done it with full mag, 2 rnds single round.
I have noticed that some times it doesn't lock back when empty. So I am wondering if its short stroking?

Thanks,
Boswell
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Time for a detail strip.

I would examine the carrier latch, pins and spring.

Take the magazine follower out and make sure it isn't dented or binds in the magazine tube.

There are some know-how Benelli guys <translation: forgotten more about Benellis than I will ever know] on this board- keep at it until it is running 100% as it should!
View Quote

He's on the right track for this issue:

Also: Make sure the mag tube spring is 14”-16” longer than the mag tube + extension and the junction of the factory tube and extension  is not allowing the follower or spring to hang up.

Clean out the mag tube all the way down to the receiver. There is a junction on the factory tube about 3” in front of the reliever. Make sure the spring and/or follower is not hanging there.

Does the shell latch have a significant amount of movement around its pivot pin? I have replaced a few pins that had worn to the point that the shell latch could move 1/16” in/out in the slot in the side of the receiver (and that is too much)
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I don't think its the mag extension as it has done it with full mag, 2 rnds single round.
I have noticed that some times it doesn't lock back when empty. So I am wondering if its short stroking?

Thanks,
Boswell
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,
Boswell

Did you replace any of the fire control group parts in order to comply with 922(r) or ?
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 2:34:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought a Benelli M2 from Taran Tactical with this similar issue. The symptoms are similar to yours in that a round would be thrown on the lifter but not chambered or a round would be partially out of the mag tube but not completely on the lifter.  Mag spring changed, buffer tube spring changed, bolt carrier shimmed... same issue.
So yesterday, when I looked at it more closely by inserting shells one by one into the mag tube, I felt quite a bit of resistance before the shells would 'click' into the mag tube.  It looked like the shell stop was protruding too far inwards, towards the mag tube so it could be catching and retarding the shells as they're thrown onto the lifter.  
So we took the shell catch out and bent it slightly towards the receiver. It is now running fine so knock on wood, that was the issue.
Maybe it helps you.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Did you replace any of the fire control group parts in order to comply with 922(r) or ?
View Quote

Gun is a 922(R) exempt
I will check the shell catch and do another full detail strip and inspection.

Thanks,

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 7:17:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I bought a Benelli M2 from Taran Tactical with this similar issue. The symptoms are similar to yours in that a round would be thrown on the lifter but not chambered or a round would be partially out of the mag tube but not completely on the lifter.  Mag spring changed, buffer tube spring changed, bolt carrier shimmed... same issue.
So yesterday, when I looked at it more closely by inserting shells one by one into the mag tube, I felt quite a bit of resistance before the shells would 'click' into the mag tube.  It looked like the shell stop was protruding too far inwards, towards the mag tube so it could be catching and retarding the shells as they're thrown onto the lifter.  
So we took the shell catch out and bent it slightly towards the receiver. It is now running fine so knock on wood, that was the issue.
Maybe it helps you.
View Quote

Bolt carrier shimmed? Got a picture or details of that?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:45:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe it helps you.

Thanks

It was during troubleshooting that the TTI gunsmith was looking at the bolt carrier and thought it was rubbing up against the trigger group. So, he took out a file and started shimming down the bottom of the bolt carrier. It could have been an issue but it wasn't the issue.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:10:33 AM EDT
[#12]
It is your carrier latch.  Replace the spring, latch, and pin.  It is a somewhat common problem.  I called Benelli and they sent me a brand new one for free.  It took forever.  But, it worked.

http://forums.benelliusa.com/archive/index.php/t-20660.html

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Echo a lot of guncat's recommendations.

Clean the magazine tube well. Don't put oil inside of it. You want to run it dry. Oil just collects debris. I'd get a Wolff magazine spring.

How does the breech latch look? I've seen worn ones cause shell release issues.

Any sign or feel of binding when retracting the bolt? I've encountered damaged receivers and deformed bolt carriers that cause binding.

How's the trigger pack look? It might be worth tearing down and cleaning extensively to see if it has any affect. Respringing it would not hurt.

A new main spring would not hurt.

Any signs of wear or damage to the shell stop?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:11:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It is your carrier latch.  Replace the spring, latch, and pin.  It is a somewhat common problem.  I called Benelli and they sent me a brand new one for free.  It took forever.  But, it worked.

http://forums.benelliusa.com/archive/index.php/t-20660.html

View Quote

Thanks for the link! That's an old thread too.
I'll send this around as it looks like even the folks at TTI didn't know this.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:20:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,
Boswell

You took names when the teacher was out of the room, didn't you.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#16]
So question,
I picked up a new carrier latch, spring and pin. I also picked up a Arredondo Bolt release bar, my question is installing it, do I need to tap the carrier latch? The directions say "use #43 drill (.089)", so do all I need to do is drill a hole, no threading needed? Or drill the tap, but what tap do I need?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So question,
I picked up a new carrier latch, spring and pin. I also picked up a Arredondo Bolt release bar, my question is installing it, do I need to tap the carrier latch? The directions say "use #43 drill (.089)", so do all I need to do is drill a hole, no threading needed? Or drill the tap, but what tap do I need?

Thanks,
View Quote

Drill the hole, then tap the hole 4-40 for the Arredondo release bar's screw.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 4:03:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Hey fellas -

A question for other Benelli M2 guys..

I noticed another issue cropping up with my TTI M2. Every 50 rounds or so, I get a shell hung up on the top/right side of the chamber.
I polished that side a bit with the dremel and some sandpaper but it's still happening.
One thing I noticed is that when the shell is thrown up from the lifter, I can see that the shell isn't going directly level into the chamber. It's angled slightly high. If I ride the bolt forward, I can feel the shell hitting the top side of the chamber before going into battery.
Does yours do this too?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top