Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2016 12:00:19 PM EDT
Its been awhile since I looked into purchasing a pump shotgun, but I just sold my VEPR 12 and need to replace it with something cheaper just to have in the corner of the closet for HD

A few years ago, I remember researching the 870's and reading that the quality basically went to shit, etc.

I can grab a 870 police magnum locally for $405 out the door. It has an 18" ported barrel with rifle sights, and has been cerakoted. Should I jump on this?
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 12:25:32 PM EDT
[#1]
If it is configured the way you want and in great shape then go for it. You probably will not find another like that for that price.

I have been seeing true "Police" marked models go anywhere from $350 to $650 in the last year depending on condition and features. Since the gun you are looking at has some aftermarket "upgrades" it is hard to calculate the value versus an all factory gun. For some it is a bonus for others it kills value.

870 quality didn't really go to "shit". It just seems there have been more out of the box problems in recent years along with the MIM extractor and even thinner finish. Usually nothing that can't be easily corrected if you do have a problem.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#2]
It appears it is all factory except the finish. The sights are the same rifle sights I see on a bunch when I google "870 police magnum"

I got to drive 4 hours to pick it up tomorrow morning if I want it, so im trying to figure out if having a 870 police magnum will be any better than a $190 hawk 982 which I used to have that ran reliable as hell
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It appears it is all factory except the finish. The sights are the same rifle sights I see on a bunch when I google "870 police magnum"

I got to drive 4 hours to pick it up tomorrow morning if I want it, so im trying to figure out if having a 870 police magnum will be any better than a $190 hawk 982 twhich I used to have that ran reliable as hell
View Quote

Well you need to decide do you want a comunist boom stick or an American boom stick.

Part of that decision needs to be are you the type that will always wish you got the 870 over the hawk.  If you are then would the extra 200 keep you from having buyers  remorse?  Remember buyers remorse always cost more in the end.

Also are you the type that sales guns after time has passed ? If you are then the 870 will be worth more to more people .

If it was me I would get the 870 because it's American (because the hell with comunist) and I would not be thinking in the back of my head that I should have spent a little more to get what I really wanted.   Now if you said all you have is $200 and you need to protect your family I would say get the hawk.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Are 870 police Magnums quality though?

I dont have much experience with pump shotguns (Ive always had a Vepr 12), but the experiences I have had were:

Mossberg 590 mariner - action locked up after every other shot from the swelled spent shells not extracting, needed a decent amount of chamber polishing to run right
Hawk 982 - ran flawless
My good friends 870 (not sure what model) - decent amount of issues / jamming

If the police magnum will be a quality shotgun that should run right without having do anything to it, then I would want to give it a try this time around
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 2:32:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are 870 police Magnums quality though?

I dont have much experience with pump shotguns (Ive always had a Vepr 12), but the experiences I have had were:

Mossberg 590 mariner - action locked up after every other shot from the swelled spent shells not extracting, needed a decent amount of chamber polishing to run right
Hawk 982 - ran flawless
My good friends 870 (not sure what model) - decent amount of issues / jamming

If the police magnum will be a quality shotgun that should run right without having do anything to it, then I would want to give it a try this time around
View Quote

Well I can say the finishing  on older 870 guns are better for a few reasons.

1. More time finishing the gun
2. Used more and with use they get smother.

Remington claims that the police mag is assembled on a differnt line and has better finish work done to them.  Some people say this is false and there is no difference.  Personally i believe Remington as why would a company lie to a government agency.  This would only create large lawsuits with the man.

My newest 870 is about 10 years old but I would not have any issues getting a new police mag.  I would however not purchase a new express model.

Also dealers like summit gun have trade in models for a good price a few times a year .
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 3:09:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Does Remington offer factory "porting" on barrels? Serious question.

An 870 Police will hold value and likely be a GREAT gun. You should expect no problems from an 870 POLICE model unless it's been fucked with. The only concern I would have is that it is USED which always makes me wonder "used" or abused. Why was it Ceracoated? For looks and corrosion resistance or because something was wonky on the gun? You just don't know.

BTW- We have two Hawk 982. They both run flawless.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 3:38:02 PM EDT
[#7]
extractor, lifter spring, and mag tube are all you need to upgrade to make a stock 870 functionally the same as police model aside from finish and stock.  Rifle sights are cool but not very practical for an HD shotgun.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Does Remington offer factory "porting" on barrels? Serious question.

An 870 Police will hold value and likely be a GREAT gun. You should expect no problems from an 870 POLICE model unless it's been fucked with. The only concern I would have is that it is USED which always makes me wonder "used" or abused. Why was it Ceracoated? For looks and corrosion resistance or because something was wonky on the gun? You just don't know.

BTW- We have two Hawk 982. They both run flawless.
View Quote

I don't think port is a factory option ...  there is a good chance the gun is a police trade it that was worked over by Wilson or Vang Comp????  . That could also explain the coating.

As to being used and maybe worn out .   It's damn hard to wear out a 870.  Most likely some of the springs would need to be swapped but that is with any gun with age on it and cheap.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 3:48:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys. I think im going to pass on it. I thought the porting was factory, i was unaware it was done aftermarket. The place selling it is a popular gunsmith place in Miami that does all ZEV glocks, etc but still. Also, the receiver has "35517" engraved in it vertically at the end where the receiver meets the stock. No other pictures I have seen of 870 police magnum, or any 870 receivers, have numbers engraved there. Remington customer service stated this is not something they put on the receiver but "May" have been done by a law enforcement agency.

It looked pretty cool though

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
extractor, lifter spring, and mag tube are all you need to upgrade to make a stock 870 functionally the same as police model aside from finish and stock.  Rifle sights are cool but not very practical for an HD shotgun.
View Quote

Yes those parts are differnt from a express model.  The police model usally has a metal trigger guard although some new ones may now have a plastic guard.  The problem with only thinking about parts is you forget to consider the fit and finish.  This makes a big difference in reliability .

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yes those parts are differnt from a express model.  The police model usally has a metal trigger guard although some new ones may now have a plastic guard.  The problem with only thinking about parts is you forget to consider the fit and finish.  This makes a big difference in reliability .

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My express magnum came with metal trigger group. Polishing dremel bit and compound will take about 20 min to smooth everything out.  One advantage to the 870P is that you don't have to remove the mag tube dimples which is time consuming.  By the time i completely polished out and removes the burrs, plastic followers including WC would no longer work.  Nordic Comp aluminum one works just fine though.  

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Summitgunbroker.com     Mark Kitterman is very GTG.

I just bought a older pristine BLUED police 870 mag wirth a nickel or chrome bolt.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:20:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Missed the pic, good call on passing.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:34:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks guys. I think im going to pass on it. I thought the porting was factory, i was unaware it was done aftermarket. The place selling it is a popular gunsmith place in Miami that does all ZEV glocks, etc but still. Also, the receiver has "35517" engraved in it vertically at the end where the receiver meets the stock. No other pictures I have seen of 870 police magnum, or any 870 receivers, have numbers engraved there. Remington customer service stated this is not something they put on the receiver but "May" have been done by a law enforcement agency.

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/585644000/585644408/pix991567621.jpg
View Quote

Looks like someone took a Leo trade in and tried to make a turkey gun.   The "35517" is there most likely as a inventory number for the department it came from.

Also the porting does not look like a vang comp port job
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:10:22 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't own ported shotguns.... and they are banned in the boat and blind.
shoot one before you own one.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:20:42 AM EDT
[#16]
What about a Wingmaster produced in the mid 70s with perfect bluing and good wood ? Guy says its been sitting in his safe since 1 range outing when he first bought it.   It has an 18" ribbed barrel with rifle sights, but I cannot find a single picture of a wingmaster with an 18" ribbed barrel with rifle sights. Anyone know if this configuration was made or is this a longer barrel that the owner chopped?

Here it is, for $300 is this something I should jump on?  I know there is some Flexitab thing I will apparently need to install if I ever find it

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:13:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

What about a Wingmaster produced in the mid 70s with perfect bluing and good wood ? Guy says its been sitting in his safe since 1 range outing when he first bought it.   It has an 18" ribbed barrel with rifle sights, but I cannot find a single picture of a wingmaster with an 18" ribbed barrel with rifle sights. Anyone know if this configuration was made or is this a longer barrel that the owner chopped?

Here it is, for $300 is this something I should jump on?  I know there is some Flexitab thing I will apparently need to install if I ever find it

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s92/chargeron24s/5355078_zpsdeqgkjon.jpg
View Quote

That bolt does not look like its been shot "one outing"

That said, thats a decent deal
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:31:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Barrel is chopped. You can buy barrels though. We just had a bunch of 870's come through our local police supply as trades. Some old Wingmasters some Wingmaster Magnums and some newer Police Mags, none over $280 some as low as $170. Some in pretty good shape. Almost picked up a blued/walnut Pmag pristine interior and metal but furniture needed refinish for $240 but I have shotguns already. My buddy passed on a blued with 20" rifle sights last month for $219 and is kickin himself now.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:46:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Just an FYI.

The other day a guy posted how his 870 express was left in his car wrapped in a towel a few weeks and rusted really badly.

My 870 Police was behind my truck seats partially in a big towel as well so I went and pulled it out thinking it might be the same.

It was still perfect.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/585644000/585644408/pix991567621.jpg
View Quote

"35517" was likely a PD inventory number. At that price is wasn't a deal too good to walk away from. There are plenty of 870 Police models out there. You will find the one you really want. If this ain't it, don't get it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:23:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just an FYI.

The other day a guy posted how his 870 express was left in his car wrapped in a towel a few weeks and rusted really badly.

My 870 Police was behind my truck seats partially in a big towel as well so I went and pulled it out thinking it might be the same.

It was still perfect.
View Quote

I bought an 870 Express back in '89 and that thing would rust if you just thought about touching it. I bought a police trade in 870 Police Magnum back in 2006 with a parkerized finish and it is a heckuva lot better finish than the bead blasted finish on the Express. I have no idea how old my Police Magnum is either but it has yet to rust anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

That isn't a factory barrel set-up. Any idea if it shoots where it aims?

Is the forend synthetic? If so, it is not original to that gun. Probably added when somebody bought the pistol grip.

Maybe it is just the picture but the recoil pad looks wonky. Is it original? To me it looks like somebody added an extra length recoil pad to a bantam (youth) stock or a cut down stock.

From the pic it looks like a mix of parts and mods.

$300 seems too much for that gun.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Is it a MAGNUM receiver? Forget what the barrel says, does the serial number end with "M"?

MAGNUM receivers will command a higher price. There is nothing wrong with an older 2-3/4" only receiver but they just are not a valuable. A 3" chambered barrel will fit and function on the 2-3/4" receiver but will only function with 2-3/4" shells.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks guys...........I passed on all of them

I have been tempted to buy the Original i posted (with the camo cerakote) as I obtained the serial number and verified with Remington it is a real Police Magnum made in 2001. The only thing really stopping me, is the home porting job. Most porting pictures I see have smaller holes and just near the end of the barrel. The porting on this rifle seems to have larger holes and they go all the way to the magazine tube cap, which is right where my hand would be on the forend
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:32:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thanks guys...........I passed on all of them

I have been tempted to buy the Original i posted (with the camo cerakote) as I obtained the serial number and verified with Remington it is a real Police Magnum made in 2001. The only thing really stopping me, is the home porting job. Most porting pictures I see have smaller holes and just near the end of the barrel. The porting on this rifle seems to have larger holes and they go all the way to the magazine tube cap, which is right where my hand would be on the forend
View Quote

Barrels are easy enough to find and replace but it would add another $80 to $180 to the cost of the gun at which point any "deal" is gone. The 870 (even Police models) aren't exactly a rare bird. Keep your eyes open for the gun YOU WANT and then figure out how much you are willing to pay for it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

If I'd found that gun I'd be posting about my deal, not asking if I should buy it-BIG fan of old Wingmasters. I've got 2, both V prefix. One late 70s and nice shape, one early 80s and like new. Buy it and enjoy it. If worried about value look up date codes, get a replacement correct barrel and keep the one that might be chopped for HD use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top