Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2016 10:27:40 PM EDT
Like the title says:  Should I trade a 1970 Remington 870 Wimgmaster in 20 gauge for a pre serialized police model Mossberg 500?

The Remington was bought used from a friend who was going to cut the stock down and use it later but didn't have the time.  She said it was broken and I ended up fixing it by replacing the magazine spring.  Finish was rough so I re-blued it at NRA summer camp.

I have seen the Mossberg. it was made before serial numbers were required to be put on guns. Finish is a little rough and the trigger mechanism is metal as apposed to a new 500 which is plastic. it has wood furniture and an 18 inch barrel. I have felt the action and it is smooth.

The only reason I like the 870 is because the receiver size is the same as a 12 gauge gun; in '71 Remington made the receiver sizes for the 12 and the 20 different. and I already asked Remington and they said that I can't put a 12 gauge barrel on it even though the receiver sizes are the same.

I want the Mossberg 500 because it has an 18 inch barrel and I have always wanted an 18 inch barrel shotgun but am I cheating myself out of a potentially good sale if I keep the Remington and sell it later?  Also does anyone know if the older Mossbergs receivers were made out of steel or aluminum?

Thanks,

B62stew
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:33:15 PM EDT
[#1]
You could spend $120 and get an 18" barrel for your 20ga 870 and not mess with the unknown mossberg.

Midway/Brownells have similar options with different sight setups.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 12:03:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Keep the wing master. If you want an 18" shotgun get a cheap 870 express, cut down, and cerakote.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 6:39:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You could spend $120 and get an 18" barrel for your 20ga 870 and not mess with the unknown mossberg.

Midway/Brownells have similar options with different sight setups.
View Quote

His 20 ga 870 is made on the (older) large size receiver. Current production 20 ga barrels will not fit.

But still....keep your 870 and just get another 12ga gun.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 8:41:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Mossberg receivers were and are cast aluminum.
Remington 870's are made from forged and milled steel.

As above, keep the better 870 and buy an 18 inch barrel, or watch the pawn shops for a plain barrel and cut it off yourself.  You can usually find used 870 barrels cheap if you shop around.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Stick with the 870 but if you plan to use it for serious self defense work you'll want to retrofit it with a flexitab unit or you could end up with a serious jam issue.

Lookie
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#6]
No!  70's era Wingmasters are a work of art.  I'm never selling mine.  They just don't make them like they used to.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 4:08:38 PM EDT
[#7]
No.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 6:04:03 PM EDT
[#8]
What is up with every one wanting to spend big money on old Mossbergs like they are desireable? Every old Mossberg I handled was a rattly utility gun.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

What is up with every one wanting to spend big money on old Mossbergs like they are desireable? Every old Mossberg I handled was a rattly utility gun.
View Quote
Sorry.

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 9:19:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Well everyone has an opinion like other things they have on them ..  some smell better then others ...  I have several 870's and 500/590's

I think they are both fine guns.   The owner is the one that has to be happy with what they have as they both will do the job.

OP if it was me I would just have both.  These type of guns are cheap and a dime a dozen.  At this point in the game I just get differnt models of each gun just because they are differnt.    You know because who ever dies with the most toys wins ...

No matter what you do you will be on top as long as your happy with it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 3:00:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Well Saturday is here and I am the proud owner of a Mossberg 500.  It fits well. All the controls are in the right place, and it is just the right length for me.  It needs some TLC and CLP and a good cleaning but overall I am happy with it and don't regret my decision at all.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I miss all my 70's firearms.... Colt Python all the way to my Police Folding Stock 870.

I guess all I'm trying to say....ENJOY.....

Still pissed off I let so many fine firearms go by.

Sorry OP, just had to get this out of my system. Interwebs and all
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:06:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I miss all my 70's firearms.... Colt Python all the way to my Police Folding Stock 870.

View Quote

it is fine.  I need to disassemble and clean it. Outside is rough but it functions well. Like a gunsmith said 'cerakote is cheap'.

Edit: This might be a Mossburg made from 1961 to 1967.  It has a single Slide Bar.  I was wondering what type of plastic furniture would fit on it?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:54:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

it is fine.  I need to disassemble and clean it. Outside is rough but it functions well. Like a gunsmith said 'cerakote is cheap'.

Edit: This might be a Mossburg made from 1961 to 1967.  It has a single Slide Bar.  I was wondering what type of plastic furniture would fit on it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you contact Havlin Sales they may be able to help you figure out what would fit they are very knowledgeable on Mossberg shotguns past to present.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:12:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you contact Havlin Sales they may be able to help you figure out what would fit they are very knowledgeable on Mossberg shotguns past to present.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the buttstock will interchange with anything for a 500, and the forend with anything of the same length-I've seen two lengths for 500s, and there might be a third-saw what looked like an old 500 in a movie once that had wood right up to the end of the mag tube. Lousy movie and camera work so I couldn't tell for sure if it was a Mossberg.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top