Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2016 5:16:39 PM EDT
I browsing thru the local stores, I found another beater.  I have chopped several take down shotguns to riot length.  This one got chopped and I have been meaning to install a grenade pin shell retainer so the gun can hold 5 shells while in pieces and the gun is reassembled, the grenade pin is pulled and the gun then loaded.

This one is an old humpback but nice patina and slicker than snot.

Simple as a hole drilled and a "ball detent pin.  Yes I will clean up that hole a little.  The pin is slightly undersized, I need to find the next size up.  Dummy ammo loaded.

Link Posted: 9/9/2016 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Where did you get the pin, and what size is it/the hole?
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 5:54:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I found it at the local hardware store.  I shortened it slightly.  5/32"
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 11:46:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I spent a little time in the garage and shortened this gun to 18.5", and added a front sight.  The infamous flip-flop recoil pad.  I really like the overall look of this gun, great patina, slick as snot.  Unfortunately I cleaned the stock with alcohol prior to taping it and it stripped some of that finish. I am assuming it was tung oil.

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:36:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Strip the rest of the finish and then oil that wood back up. I use BLO, but Tung oil would work as well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 7:40:15 PM EDT
[#5]
May have had some shellac on there is alcohol affected it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:23:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I ran some buckshot thru the old girl recently.  Shoots pretty well, 10, 15, 20 paces.  LR indicates Fiocci.  This is what I had on hand:

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:35:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice shotgun it has the been there done that look
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:32:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I like that pin idea!

Nice Deluxe you have there.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:42:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice!!!

I remember you talking about the pin idea in one of the older threads, glad you got a chance to try it!  Also... measure pin, measure bit then drill.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:58:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I used one of those hole gauges, bad idea.  I found a cotterless pin on Amazon which I will try.  I bought a bit that better matches that pin, I will use it on my 620.

I wiped the butt stock with more alcohol and then hit it with tung oil.  It still needs a few more coats but looks better.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Another function test.  5 shots Fiocci low recoil slugs at 25 yards off hand.  Hard to dislike.

I found a properly sized pin and drilled my 620 for the old pin.  Still need a vintage front sight for the 620 to complete the look.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 7:52:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Got my first two deer last year with my grandads Stevens 620. I'd like to find another to cut down.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I used one of those hole gauges, bad idea.  I found a cotterless pin on Amazon which I will try.  I bought a bit that better matches that pin, I will use it on my 620.

I wiped the butt stock with more alcohol and then hit it with tung oil.  It still needs a few more coats but looks better.
View Quote
Nice!  New pics look good too.

One thing I did on my M12 was "bone" the wood between coats of tung oil. Basically it's the equivalent of surface hardening wood.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 12:07:18 AM EDT
[#14]
It may be hard to tell my wife what I was doing in the garage...at least with a straight face.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 12:48:11 AM EDT
[#15]
LOL right?!?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:52:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I share your fondness for the Stevens 520.  I ended up with 4 of them.  I've cut one of them down, same as you, but hadn't thought of the pin idea.  I'm going to have to drill mine.  I got a slick case from Skinner's Scabbards that holds both "pieces" is separate slots.  Uses buckles instead of zippers and is really cool.  One of the most fun shotgun projects yet.

Continue on...
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:03:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

One thing I did on my M12 was "bone" the wood between coats of tung oil. Basically it's the equivalent of surface hardening wood.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any particular method you use?  Or is it just rub really really hard.

Rossi 92 would benefit from this.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 5:22:01 AM EDT
[#18]
I like the pin idea. Here's mine:

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 5:58:28 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used a really smooth transparent yellow nylon mallet.
Traditionally real bone is used, or antler didn't have either do just made due. I suppose anything harder than the wood, and smooth enough not to scar it or leave drag marks would work.

Basically just rubbed the side of the mallet working it in, didn't try to kill it, but just a good amount of pressure. One of those things that hard to describe but when you start doing it it just clicks.

Basically hard enough, but NOT so hard it pressure dents the wood. I can't remember if I tried it on scrap wood first or not.  I also did it years earlier on an old Polytech M-14s stock which came out looking awesome as well.

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 6:12:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Avibank makes nice quick pins.  Cleaner than the split ring type.

http://www.avibank.com/products/ball-lok-quick-release-pins/

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 3:12:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I used a really smooth transparent yellow nylon mallet. Traditionally real bone is used, or antler didn't have either do just made due. I suppose anything harder than the wood, and smooth enough not to scar it or leave drag marks would work.
Basically just rubbed the side of the mallet working it in, didn't try to kill it, but just a good amount of pressure. One of those things that hard to describe but when you start doing it it just clicks.
Basically hard enough, but NOT so hard it pressure dents the wood. I can't remember if I tried it on scrap wood first or not.  I also did it years earlier on an old Polytech M-14s stock which came out looking awesome as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used a really smooth transparent yellow nylon mallet. Traditionally real bone is used, or antler didn't have either do just made due. I suppose anything harder than the wood, and smooth enough not to scar it or leave drag marks would work.

Thanks.  Gonna try it out.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 4:37:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Avibank makes nice quick pins.  Cleaner than the split ring type.

http://www.avibank.com/products/ball-lok-quick-release-pins/

View Quote

I kinda dig the "grenade pin" look.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top