Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2016 12:55:52 PM EDT
Came into a free to me Remington 1100. Mechanically the gun is in excellent condition. I doubt it was shot much at all. Unfortunately the previous owner didn't know much about firearm storage and a decent bit of surface rust developed on the gun. I have cleaned the surface rust off to prevent further damage but now the gun is screaming for a re-blue. Does Remington do this service? Is there a re-finishing shop that can mimic the original blue finish that was on the gun? I do not know much about 1100's but this one appears to have a finish similar to the Wingmasters I have handled.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 12:57:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Send it to Remington.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you tried polishing the finish with a light oil and an ultra fine steel wool?

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you tried polishing the finish with a light oil and an ultra fine steel wool?

View Quote

I used that method to remove the surface rust. It worked well but the finish is definitely ruined.

Its perfectly serviceable as is but I figure its worth spending a couple bucks getting it fixed up.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 1:21:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Send it to Remington.
View Quote

This is the direction I am leaning. Have you ever had them do similar work? Any idea on cost? Thanks
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I had mine powder coated with an older product similar to Cerakote.  

I would go that route.

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bronze wool should be used.  Steel wool will destroy the bluing. The edge of a copper penny can be used to chip away slightly heavier deposits.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Brownells sells DIY cold blue kits if it's a project you'd like to take on yourself.  In my experience you want the finish to be consistently removed over the entire area before beginning, otherwise it will look spotty and inconsistent when you finish since it is a rather thin coating.  There's nothing like the satisfaction of refinishing a gun yourself though.  If the stock needs some work that could be a fun project as well.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 2:33:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Bronze wool should be used.  Steel wool will destroy the bluing. The edge of a copper penny can be used to chip away slightly heavier deposits.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know that I've ever seen bronze wool. Where does one find it? Lowes?

For the steel wool, I've had good luck in the past removing very light specks of surface rust using this method, but you have to be careful and only use the finest (#0000) steel wool.

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

For the steel wool, I've had good luck in the past removing very light specks of surface rust using this method, but you have to be careful and only use the finest (#0000) steel wool.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most Ace hardware stores sell bronze wool.

Cold bluing is extremely difficult to obtain a uniform finish.  I have done it a couple times.  I do not recommend it. You will be very pleased with a dark waterproof coating like Cerakote.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#10]
op I came acrossa good deal an 1100 that needed a good cleaning.

Has a chip in the stock likely the dry climate. Blue is pretty good though.

But what I found was a dried out o-ring that fell apart when I opened it up, if you have not checked yours yet you might be suprised if you take it out to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 3:23:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This is the direction I am leaning. Have you ever had them do similar work? Any idea on cost? Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Send it to Remington.

They reblued an 1187 barrel of mine once. Warranty work so no charge.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 3:31:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
op I came acrossa good deal an 1100 that needed a good cleaning.

Has a chip in the stock likely the dry climate. Blue is pretty good though.

But what I found was a dried out o-ring that fell apart when I opened it up, if you have not checked yours yet you might be suprised if you take it out to shoot.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip. I did notice that the guts are going to need a thorough going good over.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 11:30:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I have several 1100s.  Get several o-rings from Brownells.  Replace the one on the gas piston/cylinder and retain a few extras.  It is probably the only part you will ever need to replace.  Then only after years of use. Otherwise this is a very reliable shotgun.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#14]
look up the big 45 pad best thing for removing rust without hurting the blueing
http://www.frontiermetalcleaner.com
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 4:01:00 PM EDT
[#15]
In the same boat.  Anyone ever just have on ceracoated?
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#16]
My main hunting gun is a 1967 1100, it is beat. I don't bother with the finish, I bought it cheap and cleaned it up enough to use it and I clean and oil it regularly. Someone once told me that an honest firearm patina comes from the alternation of neglect and care by subsequent owners.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top