Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2016 10:05:03 AM EDT
I purchased the 88 at a walmart for 179 several years ago. It has been my most used multi purpose firearm. Two years ago, while goose hunting in 10 degree weather, a part of the plastic forearm sheared off. Mossberg was great about sending me the replacement part.

What I dont want is it to happen again. What are the chances it was a fluke? Should I open my wallet and get something a step up in quality?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#1]
What broke exactly? It may be as simple as upgrading that part to a better part. The Mossberg 500's biggest weakness is the plastic safety button. There are several good aftermarket pieces available. For your stock speed feed or choate may be the way yo go but plastic doesn't like cold. A used set of wood might became better choice for you.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:27:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Could happen to any gun in any price range. The Mavericks are damn fine shotguns for the money.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:22:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an 88 and just put the magpul stock on it (not sure if I like it). I also bought the MP fore-end and an action slide tube to mount it but the threads got damaged during shipping, looks like the action tube nut sold separately was pressed up against the threads crushing the threaded end.

Anyway, I think the 88 is every bit as good as the 590 and shot mine enough to keep it by my bed.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 3:17:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I own 2 88s. This is not the first time I've heard of the fore end breaking where the action rods connect in cold weather. A good fix is a Mossberg fore end tube, action rods and fore grip. I mean, it happens, but at the price these sell for there must be millions of them in service, so maybe 1 in 100,000 break?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:11:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I own 2 88s. This is not the first time I've heard of the fore end breaking where the action rods connect in cold weather. A good fix is a Mossberg fore end tube, action rods and fore grip. I mean, it happens, but at the price these sell for there must be millions of them in service, so maybe 1 in 100,000 break?
View Quote

that is exactly where it broke
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:57:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can replace the whole slide assemble (action tube/bars, forend and ring nut) with standard Mossberg 500 parts. Nice "upgrade" but a little pricey for an 88. There are other, cheaper replacements available as well but quality/reviews vary. Keep an eye open for "parts bins" at gunshows. I have found a lot of needed parts for cheap that came off of junked guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top