Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2016 9:35:29 PM EDT
I want to add a rail to my receiver.  How difficult is this to do yourself?  My main concern is really finding a good gunsmith to do it for me because I don't want it screwed up.  What should it cost typically to get a gunsmith to do this?
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 9:39:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I think a guy in my area gets $55 per hole

ETA:  I drilled and tap my cheap stevens pump just to try, I have a drill press and relatively good vise and took my time.  It was nerve racking but there are good resources all over the web to help
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 9:45:57 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.rem870.com/2013/10/30/drilling-and-tapping-remington-870-receiver-to-install-rail-or-ghost-ring-sights/
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:28:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I recently did this very thing. I studied everything I could find on YouTube, Google and on here. Long story short ... it was VERY EASY. No problems at all.

Mesa Tactical Rem 870 Receiver Rail, 5 1/2" Link $29.99
Hanson Carbon Steel Bottom Tap 6-48 Thread Link $2.29
Baker Drill Bit Jobber Length Titanium Nitride (TiN) Coated #31 Link $3.49
Harbor Freight Transfer Punch Set $11.99+

I simply measured center, drew a line using a pencil, positioned the rail, center punched one hole at a time, used a cheapo drill press to drill 1 hole at a time, a cheapo drill press vice to hold the receiver, lube while drill & threading and just took it easy with the thread tap. It took me maybe 1 hr or less to do the entire job and I was pressed for time at the time I did it. It is very easy to drill & tap threads. I believe it is most safe, when tapping threads, to twist the tap maybe 1/2 turn right then 1/2 turn left just to keep the tap clean and to not gall the threads. It really is a simple process, but I TOTALLY understand the stress about ruining the receiver!

Once all threads were tapped, I installed the rail using Rocksettt threadlocker to make damn sure the threads lock into the receiver.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:38:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I was in the same boat as you not long ago. I found that I could buy a cheapo drill press, drill press vice, thread tap and drill bit for the same (if not less) than hiring someone to do it for me. I'm telling you ... it's really easy.

I read all the reviews of thread taps and found some negative reviews about snapping the taps. Those are BS reviews. I guarantee you that those people had no idea what they were doing. They were trying to crack the tap all the way without backing it off.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 8:48:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was in the same boat as you not long ago. I found that I could buy a cheapo drill press, drill press vice, thread tap and drill bit for the same (if not less) than hiring someone to do it for me. I'm telling you ... it's really easy.

I read all the reviews of thread taps and found some negative reviews about snapping the taps. Those are BS reviews. I guarantee you that those people had no idea what they were doing. They were trying to crack the tap all the way without backing it off.
View Quote

Thanks for the response.  I figured I could do it.  What drill press and vice did you get?  Also, what rail did you get?  My problem is I don't have a work table to mount the vice too.  I might have to buy a table to do this.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#6]
There's a link for all the parts I used in my first post. I used the MESA Tactical rail. It's excellent.

I used a cheapo drill press I bought at Menards. I used a Harbor Freight 4" Drill Press Vice to hold the receiver while drilling. I didn't even attach the vice to the press. I just let it sit there. Most of the tread tapping was by hand. I used the drill press to start the thread tap by hand to ensure that it was as straight as I could get it. You don't need a bench vice. I happened to have one so I used mine, but you could use a drill press vice and it doesn't have to be attached to a bench or anything.

You can do this on the floor if you want to. You could use a counter top or table if you want. Just lay a towel over top so you don't make a mess or scratch up the counter/table top.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 10:07:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Another option would be to pick up a Williams scope mount drill fixture from Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/sight-scope-installation-tools/receiver-drilling-jigs/scope-mount-drill-fixture-prod16326.aspx

The fixture's design self centers, and because it comes with hardened drill and tap bushings to keep you square to the workpiece you should even be able to drill the receiver with a hand drill.  It also features adjustable hole spacing so you can do a variety of guns without measuring a thing.

I have not used one myself, but the concept and user reviews seem great.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 9:08:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There's a link for all the parts I used in my first post. I used the MESA Tactical rail. It's excellent.

I used a cheapo drill press I bought at Menards. I used a Harbor Freight 4" Drill Press Vice to hold the receiver while drilling. I didn't even attach the vice to the press. I just let it sit there. Most of the tread tapping was by hand. I used the drill press to start the thread tap by hand to ensure that it was as straight as I could get it. You don't need a bench vice. I happened to have one so I used mine, but you could use a drill press vice and it doesn't have to be attached to a bench or anything.

You can do this on the floor if you want to. You could use a counter top or table if you want. Just lay a towel over top so you don't make a mess or scratch up the counter/table top.
View Quote

I think I am going to do this myself.  This may be a dumb question, but did you tap the holes completely through the receiver?  Also should the holes be treated with something to prevent corrosion?
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 7:35:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Buy a Mossberg. They are already tapped !
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think I am going to do this myself.  This may be a dumb question, but did you tap the holes completely through the receiver? Also should the holes be treated with something to prevent corrosion?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I am going to do this myself.  This may be a dumb question, but did you tap the holes completely through the receiver? Also should the holes be treated with something to prevent corrosion?

Yes, drill and tap all the way through the receiver (the metal is too thin for sufficient thread depth in a blind hole)

Don't worry about that. Some blue loctite on the base (or filler) screws will seal and protect the metal
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 10:54:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I think I am going to do this myself.  This may be a dumb question, but did you tap the holes completely through the receiver?  Also should the holes be treated with something to prevent corrosion?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry for the delayed response. Yes you drill straight through and tap your threads completely through. I did not treat the inside of the receiver for corrosion. I did not see the need to treat it in any way. I hit the threads with plenty of Loctite and figured that's good enough.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sorry for the delayed response. Yes you drill straight through and tap your threads completely through. I did not treat the inside of the receiver for corrosion. I did not see the need to treat it in any way. I hit the threads with plenty of Loctite and figured that's good enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the bottom of the Mesa Tactical rail contoured to fit the 870 receiver?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:38:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the responses.  Everything went fine.  Of course I obsessed over every step.  The only thing is the short screw for the rail is too short.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes the bottom is contoured and fits perfectly to the top of the receiver.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 4:30:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the responses.  Everything went fine.  Of course I obsessed over every step.  The only thing is the short screw for the rail is too short.
<a href="http://s975.photobucket.com/user/Bird3332002/media/IMG_20160723_190811new.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae236/Bird3332002/IMG_20160723_190811new.jpg</a>
View Quote

That's strange. Typically the receiver is thinner up front which is why the screw is short. Odd that it was too short. You could email MESA Tactical. I'm sure they would send you a screw for free in the mail.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 5:28:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Super easy job if you are experienced in tapping holes.  I have tapped several for Scattergun Tech sights.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 9:41:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's strange. Typically the receiver is thinner up front which is why the screw is short. Odd that it was too short. You could email MESA Tactical. I'm sure they would send you a screw for free in the mail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s975.photobucket.com/user/Bird3332002/media/IMG_20160723_190811new.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae236/Bird3332002/IMG_20160723_190811new.jpg</a>

Yep.  They sent me 4 long screws and I just filed one down to fit.  It needed to be right at 1/4" long.  Thanks again to you you were really helpful.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top