Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2016 10:33:26 PM EDT
I'm have been looking at an auto loader shotgun for sometime. I know I don't want the all American type none mag fed hell last placed I worked talked to the Remington and Mossberg reps about a American made mag fed 12 GA shotgun both went and told me about there shotguns but both avoid my question on why has America gun makes not made one!

So in my search I have found a few shotguns that take mags and some are American made that is a + to me! But I'm wanting to find out from owners of these firearms why they like them! What don't they like about them? I will say I'm looking mostly at the Sagia-12 and DDI 12 right now because Hi-cap mags and drums! I know drumbs are range toys but I'll never look a 20+ round 12 GA drum down!

Hell might not be your SHTF mag for this weapon but does add to other things! Anyway the hi cap mags it seems that Sagia is just about the only one out there that has anything over 10 rounds! Also it is a proven design! Had years on the market and almost as many upgrades as a 10/22!

I have also heard the MKA1919 has been a great and reliable weapon it looks like my AR-15 have not held one or seen one up close so don't know if the operation is the same as the AR-15.

As for the G12 I know little about it or the mags it uses if there is hi cap or how reliable the weapon is! Same mostly goes for the DDI 12 other then I know it can take the stock of Sagia-12 mags that are out there!  To me that is a huge + for this weapon! Not that the mag issue seals the deal! Not at all!

So this is why I post this to find out more about each weapon! Maybe I'll be luck and someone will post who has them all! Most likely I'll find someone who has two or three to give me there Yota type advice! Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:42:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I love my Saiga 12. The DDI has had some mixed reviews but seems good.

I'd grab the VEPR 12 for $699 personally.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 1:25:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a Saiga 12. Ran great after I converted it (K-Var US made FCG For the Saiga 12 is the one to get) 12 round Pro Mag drums are IMHO the best mag for that shotgun. Stick mags were huge and 20rd SGM drums were great but bulky. Best stick mags were the AGP's. I would also go with a Vepr 12 now, Molot makes a great gun.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Love my Saiga12 sbs
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:51:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had both, I chose the MKA
If you like Ak47's you will probably like a Saiga/Vepr

If you prefer AR15's you will love an MKA 1919
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:00:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a s12 sbs, sgl41 and a vepr 12. Get the v12 and factory mags!
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:38:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I mostly shoot AR and STG 58. I like the MKA but I guess the whole lack of hi cap mags is what is taking it down on my list.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:04:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I mostly shoot AR and STG 58. I like the MKA but I guess the whole lack of hi cap mags is what is taking it down on my list.
View Quote

Lack of hi cap mags? ?
way more than ANY other SG on the market, no drum yet, but hopefully soon.

mags available
28(in final testing)
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:00:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Lack of hi cap mags? ?

mags available
28(in final testing)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lack of hi cap mags? ?

mags available
28(in final testing)

Really? I have not seen them for sale best I have seen is 10 Rd where have you found these at? Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:38:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Saiga 12 is King, IMO. I'm not aware of another detachable mag fed shotgun that can run such a wide range of loads without part swapping. They will take a lot of abuse as well. They can make a very impressive SBS as well.

The Vepr 12 is nice due to the magwell and last round bolt hold open, but the lack of an adjustable gas block is a limiting factor. They are kind of heavy. They have some SBS potential.

The MKA1919 seems very fragile in comparison to the AK pattern shotguns. The controls are nice, but it seems like they would have thought about it a little harder and make it accept AR furniture, etc. from the start. I never bought an MKA1919 because the instant I held one I knew I would break it in short order. I'm not aware of anyone making a radically short SBS from one and it running impressively. They are probably a great choice if you are not rough on things and really love AR controls. Aftermarket is pretty strong for them, but on the pricy side.

The DDI-12 looks to have some promise. I am aware of at least one that has had a bolt failure, but DDI has some great customer service should you need it. I'd like to get my hands on one and make it a radically short SBS.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:33:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Idk if you have taken a look at the fostech origin 12, but that could be an option for you. It is kinda pricey but pretty impressive in videos I've seen.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:37:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Saiga-12:  finally got to fire one yesterday.  Check length of pull for you; it was perfect for me, but I'm 5'9" 170, and the type of person who collapses AR stock and shoots with nose to charging handle.  Shot very well, but at least for me, what a chore to rock in the magazines:  same motion, but nowhere near as easy as an AK.  Could have been low-grade mags, or my ineptitude.  Put 100+ rounds through it, no FTF using junk ammo 00 Buck and #8 shot, and the more I shot it, the better I got:  it deserves consideration.  My old shoulder is a bit sore today.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Really? I have not seen them for sale best I have seen is 10 Rd where have you found these at? Thanks for the info!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lack of hi cap mags? ?

mags available
28(in final testing)

We have/make about every part for them - including mags.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Saiga 12 is King, IMO. I'm not aware of another detachable mag fed shotgun that can run such a wide range of loads without part swapping. They will take a lot of abuse as well. They can make a very impressive SBS as well.

The Vepr 12 is nice due to the magwell and last round bolt hold open, but the lack of an adjustable gas block is a limiting factor. They are kind of heavy. They have some SBS potential.

The MKA1919 seems very fragile in comparison to the AK pattern shotguns. The controls are nice, but it seems like they would have thought about it a little harder and make it accept AR furniture, etc. from the start. I never bought an MKA1919 because the instant I held one I knew I would break it in short order. I'm not aware of anyone making a radically short SBS from one and it running impressively. They are probably a great choice if you are not rough on things and really love AR controls. Aftermarket is pretty strong for them, but on the pricy side.

The DDI-12 looks to have some promise. I am aware of at least one that has had a bolt failure, but DDI has some great customer service should you need it. I'd like to get my hands on one and make it a radically short SBS.
View Quote

We've made quite a few MKA SBS (14" works the best) 12" is doable but need pretty high velocity ammo to be reliable.

What are you doing with your SG that you would break one? I have 10-12K through mine used mostly in 3 gun competitions, I haven't seen anything outside of MIL applications that are harder on guns than 3 gun.

The controls are nearly identical to the AR which makes it ideal for anyone who uses an AR as well.
Saiga's/ VEPR's are quickly disappearing from 3 Gun competition, mainly because they are not reliable, 2nd because of nearly impossible parts availability, or super slow shipping of available parts.  We've had many guys who have multiple Saiga's because they can't afford to wait 3-6 months for parts for their race gun.

12" SBS  MKA 1919
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:22:17 AM EDT
[#15]
For various reasons I'm not going to comment in detail on the unreliable race guns and why they are the way they are. I have seen them too and I have seen what these shops are doing. There is huge reliability potential with the Saiga 12 and Vepr 12. I am going to build a Vepr 12 race gun prototype soon, but not like most do it. It will be reliable.

OP mentioned "weapon" quite a few times. From the "weapon" mindset, it needs to take abuse and remain functional.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I guess that is a lot of money for a shotgun. I just finished a couple of clones and spent that for one optic so my brain is a little off lol
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Agree spending $100+ per mag to me is a little much for me! Just buying enough mags so that you have a basic battle pack is $600+ for a shotgun!!

Not saying anything about the craftsmanship or that the mags are not well made but!! $100+ for a magazine that does not allow me to carry 50+ rounds is way to much! Again not ragging on the company that makes these magazines! Hell if your selling these magazines at the price your selling people are buying good on you!
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:53:36 PM EDT
[#19]
evlblkwpnz,

What's your stance on buffers on the S12 platform?

Just curious.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:01:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
evlblkwpnz,

Just curious.
View Quote

Don't use them. They can cause reliability issues, mainly FTF. The AK platform is designed to have the carrier strike the trunnion under regular operation. There is no hole/oversight relative to that area of the design..
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Don't use them. They can cause reliability issues, mainly FTF. The AK platform is designed to have the carrier strike the trunnion under regular operation. There is no hole/oversight relative to that area of the design..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
evlblkwpnz,

Just curious.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:35:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Got to handle a Origin 12 the gun is bulky and heavy.  I prefer my saiga 12.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 1:24:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Don't forget the UTAS XTR-12 is out now. Looks like a better  Akdal with all metal parts but they run around a 1,000 bucks
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Don't forget the UTAS XTR-12 is out now. Looks like a better  Akdal with all metal parts but they run around a 1,000 bucks
View Quote

What mags does this come with or have for this? Any hi cap?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Vepr 12
And grab all the factory 8s and 10s you can afford
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#26]
I chose the Vepr 12
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:34:23 AM EDT
[#27]
VEPR 12 with 25 shell SGM drum is what I chose.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top