Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2016 9:52:31 AM EDT
I intend to drill & tap my Remington 870 receiver soon. Just ordered a Mesa Tactical Receiver Rail.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a decent thread tap. I know of the 6-48 Three-Flute Tap and the #31 3-Flute Carbide Drill Bit from Brownells.

I also saw the very inexpensive thread tap and drill bit from MidwayUSA.

I've seen the cheap ones on Amazon, but I've read some really bad reviews and don't know which seller to trust. Some vendors were evidently selling drill bits that are way too big for the tap.

I'm leaning toward Brownell's, but I didn't really want to spend $80.00 for the rail, drill and tap. Any recommendations would be really appreciated.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:16:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think you need a carbide bit.Receivers aren't that hard.

This supplier has the tap...........http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnpla/03294881?src=pla&cid=PLA-Google-PLA+-+Test&CS_003=7867724&CS_010=03294881........... and drill for less than $8 ...before shipping.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This supplier has the tap...........http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnpla/03294881?src=pla&cid=PLA-Google-PLA+-+Test&CS_003=7867724&CS_010=03294881........... and drill for less than $8 ...before shipping.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I agree the drill bit is likely not as important. I'm mostly concerned with the thread tap. I've read stories where people claim to have easily broke cheap ones off in their receiver. I'm pretty experienced with tapping threads. I've done it in stainless steel, steel, aluminum and plastics, but I don't recall drilling & tapping 4 holes that were this important to me. I don't want to screw it up.

The thread tap I found at MSCDirect for $3.33 says:
to be generally for soft, durable metal. It is commonly used for general purpose applications on abrasive materials, nonferrous materials, plastics and wood.

That sounds a bit on the weak side to me.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#3]
For a one off job I would just buy a recognizable brand for the tap, as far as the bit, look at a table that has bit and tap sizes and go to the local hardware store.  I think the 6-48 Is a #31 without looking.

As far as breaking taps, they should be used properly and not like you are screwing on to a hose bib.  A little care will go a long way.

http://www.rem870.com/2013/10/30/drilling-and-tapping-remington-870-receiver-to-install-rail-or-ghost-ring-sights/
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I just went with the cheapo MidwayUSA drill bit & tap. Will use generous amounts of lube, go slow, back it off often and keep the tap clean. Should work out fine.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

True. The receiver is not hard metal and you can drill all the way through (so you avoid tapping a shallow, blind hole)

Will you drill the receiver with a drill press (or mill) with a vise? If so, use the chuck to steady and support the tap so you do not push it sideways and you'll do fine. In my experience more small taps are broken from lateral pressure to the side than from twisting

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:15:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Having  done 3, lube and don't, I say DON'T go more than 1/4 turn without backing out and using air to blow out hole and tapp. Get a good Tapp
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:01:46 PM EDT
[#7]
My local non-big box hardware stored has all taps behind the counter.  I have bought crazy 5-40 and other weird shotgun bead taps there that worked out great including the number drills.
Marking the holes is the key especially if theres fluting or serration on the top of the receiver that will make your punch or drill go wonky.  Use a drill press too
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:23:54 PM EDT
[#8]
If you don't know how to tap, technique is going to be more important than how much you spend on your tap.

Use proper lube.

Get the tap started and reverse it every turn to snap off the cut material.  If you are going deep, be sure to pull the tap out and clean the flutes a time or two and re-lube.  

The taps I have used on the Remingtons came with a drill fixture from Scattergun Tech.  It is just a jobber quality tap, nothing special.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:12:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you don't know how to tap, technique is going to be more important than how much you spend on your tap.

Use proper lube.

Get the tap started and reverse it every turn to snap off the cut material.  If you are going deep, be sure to pull the tap out and clean the flutes a time or two and re-lube.  

The taps I have used on the Remingtons came with a drill fixture from Scattergun Tech.  It is just a jobber quality tap, nothing special.
View Quote

I drill the hole,remove the bit and chuck up the tap.Turn the chuck/spindle by HAND.
This ensures perfect alignment of the tap to the drilled hole.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top