Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2016 9:28:39 AM EDT
I picked this up a week ago and just got it out for a shoot.  It runs well on cheap ammo but runs great on Federal 00 buck.    

These are handy shotguns and can be picked up cheap.  They are smooth and reliable and a great option for someone looking for a pumpgun. One thing the slide release is a bit too small and you have to really have to get a feel for the gun to use it.  

S&W 3000 Video

Snapshot 2 (4-16-2016 9-01 PM) by Don'tkillbill, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Back in '82 I worked for a local police supply store. They were a S&W police supplier. I shipped probably a truckload of those all over the U.S. Never had any issues with them and they could be had in several variations.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 2:04:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah they were a cool gun and they had folding stocks and speed loading stocks like the ones found on Mossburgs today.  Mossburg likely got that patent from Smith because they bought the gun out from Smith in 85 and made Mossburg 3000's.  Thanks for the note its nice having someone that saw these sound in on the gun
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 5:26:45 PM EDT
[#3]
That's good stuff right there!
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:56:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's good stuff right there!
View Quote

Thanks man!
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:05:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Choate used to make a mag extension for them. Not sure if they still do but they've been known to help a brother out.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:55:32 AM EDT
[#6]
You're in luck.
Choate is making them again.
Spoke to them on the phone today and they have 2,3,4 & 5 shot extensions for the S&W 3000.
For an 18" barrel you'll probably want the 2 shot

Choate S&W 3000 2 shot extension
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You're in luck.
Choate is making them again.
Spoke to them on the phone today and they have 2,3,4 & 5 shot extensions for the S&W 3000.
For an 18" barrel you'll probably want the 2 shot

Choate S&W 3000 2 shot extension
View Quote

What was that line from the Simpson's, "TAKE MY MONEY".  Thank you very much for the tip.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:22:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Decent deal on some police trade-ins
https://www.armslist.com/posts/5328187/nj-shotguns-for-sale--s-w-m3000-12g-police-trades

Edit: I've never dealt with this company. Maybe someone here has. I just found them on Google.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:03:22 PM EDT
[#9]
The rifle sights are making me jealous.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:02:43 AM EDT
[#10]
They're very good shotguns, made by Howa for S&W in Japan. I have shot a few owned by friends. One friend bought two as there were a few at the shop he found them for around $125. I think they were very competitive in pricing verses the 870 when departments picked them up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:37:01 AM EDT
[#11]
How different are these from the Mossberg 500?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:31:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How different are these from the Mossberg 500?
View Quote

More like an 870 clone. Nothing like a Mossberg.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I just found out Choate started making their mag extension kits for the S&W 1000 and 3000 shotguns. I ordered a +2 and since the website doesn't let you order to Canada. Long story short I sent an email and the president Fred replied and said sure the cost of shipping is higher to Canada but  I can send one up,  call our number and we'll get you what you need. I called and got a nice lady . We only have blued ones then Fred Choate  hears the conversation, " I can make one in matt  won't take long as extra day ". I took the blued one because the shotgun is blued.

WOW that's service the president works the email and was will to turn one out in the finish of my choice.  Part 2 sooner than later.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:49:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just found out Choate started making their mag extension kits for the S&W 1000 and 3000 shotguns. I ordered a +2 and since the website doesn't let you order to Canada. Long story short I sent an email and the president Fred replied and said sure the cost of shipping is higher to Canada but  I can send one up,  call our number and we'll get you what you need. I called and got a nice lady . We only have blued ones then Fred Choate  hears the conversation, " I can make one in matt  won't take long as extra day ". I took the blued one because the shotgun is blued.

WOW that's service the president works the email and was will to turn one out in the finish of my choice.  Part 2 sooner than later.
View Quote

Told ya they've been known to help a brother out. Great old school company.

Reminds me I need a coupla things off their website...
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:53:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It runs well on cheap ammo but runs great on Federal 00 buck.    
View Quote

can you explain any differences in how it runs between these two types of ammo?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:11:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
https://www.armslist.com/posts/5328187/nj-shotguns-for-sale--s-w-m3000-12g-police-trades

Edit: I've never dealt with this company. Maybe someone here has. I just found them on Google.
View Quote

I bought three police riot gun trade-ins from that seller, a 60s vintage 870 Wingmaster with rifle sights, a Winchester 1200 Riot and a S&W 3000.  He is legit and the guns were in great shape.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I bought three police riot gun trade-ins from that seller, a 60s vintage 870 Wingmaster with rifle sights, a Winchester 1200 Riot and a S&W 3000.  He is legit and the guns were in great shape.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those will be awesome.  Nothing like short shotguns.  Does the Winchester have the long mag?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:28:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It runs well on cheap ammo but runs great on Federal 00 buck.    

With crappy shotgun shells the gun needs more force to cycle the pump.  Just jerky with bad ammo.   Runs smooth with good shells.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:36:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Those will be awesome.  Nothing like short shotguns.  Does the Winchester have the long mag?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  It's a late 60's vintage 1200, I don't believe they even offered the long mag tube back then.  These are the three, the 3000 on top, the 870 in the middle and the 1200 on bottom.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:28:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Here's my 3000, "The Old Dog".  Bought it about a year ago.  Police trade in.  Got rid of the horrible folding stock and put a speedfeed stock on it and a tube extension.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top