Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/2/2016 12:06:40 AM EDT
Right now I have Mossberg 500 field gun, and an 870 riot gun.  I'm really looking to step up to a semi-auto.  I'd like faster follow ups, as well as some recoil reduction.

I'd like something I can shoot spring clays with, dove and quail, then throw an extended mag tube on and shoot a 3 gun match.

Budget, if I can get my 1911 sold is around $1000.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:07:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Remington Versa Max.

Link Posted: 4/2/2016 2:31:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been seriously considering a versamax.  I've also been looking at Mossberg 930s and Stoeger 3000s or M3ks.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 6:55:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been seriously considering a versamax.  I've also been looking at Mossberg 930s and Stoeger 3000s or M3ks.
View Quote

All good choices (when you forget the 930, just too many issues with that gun). Also check out the Beretta 1301 or Benelli M2 if your budget allows.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Remington V3. Optional folding stock to come. Lighter recoiling than all of the above.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you shot or handled one yet?  On paper they look really good.  I'm always hesitant to be the first one to try something though.  Especially with Remington's current QC I've seen.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#6]
just get the benelli m4... or buy something else and regret what could have been... ;)
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 11:46:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Pick up a good used gas operated Remington 1100.  They were made before Remington shit the bed.  Widely available at reasonable prices.  Reliable.  Huge aftermarket for replacement parts and upgrades, including extended mag tubes (uses same as for 870 pump and shares many other 870 parts).

Within your budget you can easily get a wood stocked hunting version with 26-28" barrel with screw in choke tubes, a second short tactical barrel, install a Speedfeed synthetic stock, extended mag tube and a tactical sidesaddle/rail and make a nice combo all purpose shotgun.  Swapping barrels takes maybe all of two minutes and no tools.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:37:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Have you shot or handled one yet?  On paper they look really good.  I'm always hesitant to be the first one to try something though.  Especially with Remington's current QC I've seen.
View Quote

Friend who works at Academy says they see alot of Vmax's go back to Remington for issues.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:44:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Pick up a good used gas operated Remington 1100.  They were made before Remington shit the bed.  Widely available at reasonable prices.  Reliable.  Huge aftermarket for replacement parts and upgrades, including extended mag tubes (uses same as for 870 pump and shares many other 870 parts).

Within your budget you can easily get a wood stocked hunting version with 26-28" barrel with screw in choke tubes, a second short tacticsl barrel, install a Speedfeed synthetic stock, extended mag tube and a tactical sidesaddle/rail and make a nice combo all purpose shotgun.  Swapping barrels takes maybe all of two minutes and no tools.
View Quote

I've used an 1100 for hunting forever. I have a 21" barrel and 9 shot factory extension for it too. Fun Gun but a bit heavy. Versas are heavy too. About the best deal I've found on a fun semi are the Franchi Affinity and Intensity models. Made on the same line as the Benelli M2 just has the recoil spring in the forend like the Stoeger. Only about $100 more than the Stoeger for an Italian built Inertia gun too. 7 year warranty vs. the 3 year Benelli and 5 year Stoeger...
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#10]

I heard the same thing, I think personally, I just got lucky. So it is a hit and miss. I hear bent barrel not shooting to POA is one common issue.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:17:14 PM EDT
[#11]
M2.  Then chop it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:03:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I think right now I'm leaning towards a versamax, or V3.  The inertia guns I've shot in the past have been pretty recoil heavy.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think right now I'm leaning towards a versamax, or V3.  The inertia guns I've shot in the past have been pretty recoil heavy.
View Quote

Good call. Owned an M1S90 over 20 years and don't miss it a bit and will never go back. Quality yes, but no need to beat the living shit out of myself every time I shoot it. I now own a VM tactical and plan to switch over to the V3 in time since I have no use for 3-1/2" shells.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 10:02:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Vepr 12. Love mine. Has run everything ive put in it. These are not saiga 12,  they work!
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 8:05:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Does anyone know if they've released a walnut stocked, 26" V3?  Also, does anyone know about magazine extensions for it?
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 8:19:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if they've released a walnut stocked, 26" V3?  Also, does anyone know about magazine extensions for it?
View Quote

No and no. Walnut stock version keeps getting pushed back and last I heard was Aug 2016. The V3's (synthetic stocks) are just now beginning to show up. Have never seen ANY aftermarket accessory available for them yet; although I haven't done a search lately.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 3:56:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I see a listing for a 28" walnut version on grab a gun.  Maybe that's why they're "not in stock"?

I haven't seen any aftermarket stuff either.  I want sure if anyone has seen anything popping up with people trying stuff.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 9:06:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

V3 uses the same extensions as the Versa Max.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 9:58:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

V3 magazine is shorter than the Versa, isn't it?
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 10:30:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I own a 930. It runs but it required a good amount of break-in and tweaking. I still don't have 100% confidence in the gun. Close but not close enough to ever bet my life on.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably a little bit.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 1:31:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's good to know.

Is the metal finish different from the synthetic model to the walnut model?
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 8:42:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's good to know.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's good to know.

Presumably, but they're still not listed as available.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's good to know.

They're off Remington's website as well.  I'm just wondering if the walnut model will be blued, or if it will be the same black oxide as the synthetic model.

If the walnut model is going to be blued, I'll wait for it.  If blued versions aren't going to available until they release whatever the model will be that's a step above the sportsman, I won't wait.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:08:16 AM EDT
[#25]
I said "screw it" and ordered a black 26" V3 last night.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:28:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Saw my first V3 last week in the used rack at Cabelas, already. Forend is shorter than the VersaMax and it felt cheap compared side by side between those two synthetic models. Kind of like a toy. Hopefully it's a performer.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:43:09 AM EDT
[#27]
What exactly felt cheap about it?

The forearm being shorter is kind of a given.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I was able to handle a black 28" gun.  It does feel kind of toy-ish.  The gun feels really light compared to what I'm use to, and plastic stocks always feel cheap to me compared to wood offerings.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:53:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I was able to handle a black 28" gun.  It does feel kind of toy-ish.  The gun feels really light compared to what I'm use to, and plastic stocks always feel cheap to me compared to wood offerings.
View Quote

Bingo. But not light in a Benelli M2 Kinda way, more like in a twisty Gumby kinda way...
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:57:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Bingo. But not light in a Benelli M2 Kinda way, more like in a twisty Gumby kinda way...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The one I held didn't feel like that at all.  It felt really solid.  I'll have to see what the one coming is like.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:08:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Picked up my shotgun late last night.  Pics to come later today.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:49:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Got it all cleaned up tonight:

Couple of thoughts I had...

The bolt definitely has some AR inspiration to it.  The mag tube has dimples

I really want to get this thing out to shoot it now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:55:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The mag tube has dimples
View Quote

Is Remington
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Bolt is pretty much a copy of the Benelli.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:21:16 PM EDT
[#35]
11-87 or Versa Max
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Bump from the dead.

I was finally able to get out and shoot some clays this morning.  Shotgun was great!  Only problems I had were two shells hanging up (cheap Estate brand), and it kept blowing oil back in my face.  I'm hoping the blow back problem can be solved with just less oil.  The manual does say to avoid using too much oil, and I put it on pretty healthy.  Hopefully i can start seeing some wear marks to know where to oil.  

Hopefully someone will make a magazine extension soon.  I also need to get the lifter welded up.  It likes to try to take bites out of my thumb.

Link Posted: 6/13/2016 9:21:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s200.photobucket.com/user/tobylazur/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160427_180446_zpspef18jgn.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/tobylazur/Mobile%20Uploads/20160427_180446_zpspef18jgn.jpg</a>

View Quote

Find a socket the right size to swage that dimple, grease it up and drive it in the tube.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Find a socket the right size to swage that dimple, grease it up and drive it in the tube.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s200.photobucket.com/user/tobylazur/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160427_180446_zpspef18jgn.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/tobylazur/Mobile%20Uploads/20160427_180446_zpspef18jgn.jpg</a>

What do I do with the spring retainer piece then?
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 9:54:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I assumed you would do a mag extension on it. I may be a bit premature. If its going to be a hunting gun you probably better leave it be. If you do go with an extension those dimples will have to come out.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 12:01:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Well I assumed you would do a mag extension on it. I may be a bit premature. If its going to be a hunting gun you probably better leave it be. If you do go with an extension those dimples will have to come out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My hope is to use it for both.  I'll have to figure something out then when I take the extension off.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 6:48:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Get an old style 870/1100 mag spring retainer, the only problem will be the locking detents. Is your new barell set up for the old style ball locking detents? If your not sure look here on your barrel

If you have the little hole like on the right one, you can install the detent like the left one and use the old style spring retainer and cap when you run without the extension. Post a pic of yours from the same angle so I can learn something please.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Get an old style 870/1100 mag spring retainer, the only problem will be the locking detents. Is your new barell set up for the old style ball locking detents? If your not sure look here on your barrel
http://www.rem870.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/magazine_cap_detent_barrel.jpg

If you have the little hole like on the right one, you can install the detent like the left one and use the old style spring retainer and cap when you run without the extension. Post a pic of yours from the same angle so I can learn something please.
View Quote

I'll post pictures when I get home.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#43]
There's no spot for a detent .

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 9:36:13 PM EDT
[#44]
That sucks, I don't know if a smith could drill the hole for it there or not. What's the long rectangular place that looks like an insert?
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 10:51:58 PM EDT
[#45]
That's part of the gas piston assembly.

I did find out an 870 mag extension fits on the threads of the V3 tube.

I wonder if I should start a V3 specific thread?
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 2:16:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I said "screw it" and ordered a black 26" V3 last night.
View Quote

keep us posted to how it performs for you?
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 6:14:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s200.photobucket.com/user/tobylazur/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160614_193801_zpsbrd4lrks.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/tobylazur/Mobile%20Uploads/20160614_193801_zpsbrd4lrks.jpg</a>

I wonder if I should start a V3 specific thread?
View Quote

Looks like your stuck with it if you press the dimples out and ran an extension. You could still run the old style retainer and cap but without the detent you would have to be mindful of the cap coming loose. I have an 870 express barrel I use on a wing master sometimes that is the same way. I put Teflon pipe tape on the threads and didn't really like it so I installed the detent like I was hoping you could do on yours.
I wonder if Remington does the dimple method as a cost saving measure or to attempt to limit modifications?
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 7:59:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Toldja
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 8:00:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shouldn't be any issue using it without the retainer.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 11:17:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Ok google has helped me find several solutions to this problem.
First if swage the dimples to run the extension you need the old style retainer to run the standard cap. Yours may fit as I've seen that a few of the newer caps have notches for both kinds of retainers.

This is the old style retainer pictured with this wave style washer. I think the washer could be modified with a dimple to engage the old style detent holes if it doesn't work as advertised.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remington-1100-Wave-Spring-Washer-fore-end-forend-stock-12-gauge-ga-magazine-cap-/111591658400

Link to cap with both notcheshttp://s40.photobucket.com/user/shotgunman5/media/IMG_0197.jpg.html

Here are options that have the detent built into a sling adapter, I'm sure there are more out there.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/295086/gg-and-g-front-sling-mount-adapter-remington-870-1100-11-87-12-gauge-aluminum-matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/295086/gg-and-g-front-sling-mount-adapter-remington-870-1100-11-87-12-gauge-aluminum-matte

Or you can get a shorter +1 to run on it for hunting and the barrel clamp will keep it from loosening.
http://sjhardware.com/store/modules.php?name=catalog&file=product_info&cPath=107_120&products_id=771&osCsid=50a577981876a2b323f4d7d8cadc42c9

So far the threads are the same pitch within each gauge for 870/1100/1148 and 1187. so you can mix and match parts to get the configuration you like.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top