Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2016 9:18:54 PM EDT
I'm trying to figure out if an M4 is worth the switch. I've had an 18.5 M2 T for about 8 years and it works great. It's got a Urbino stock on it.

However, I've always wanted an M4. I'm willing to swallow the M4 pill, but am wondering what exactly I would gain and lose.

Reliably is the primary reason to switch, correct? Isn't the M4s action pretty much unstoppable?

I'm at a point where I want to put more money into the M2, or should I just get an M4 instead.

Also, a possible downside, is if I desire 922r compliance after a capacity increase, the M4 requires one more part over the M2, correct?

I can still get the shorter Urbino stock for the M4, which is good.

Anybody owned both? Care to speak on the differences?
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 10:47:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm trying to figure out if an M4 is worth the switch. I've had an 18.5 M2 T for about 8 years and it works great. It's got a Urbino stock on it.

However, I've always wanted an M4. I'm willing to swallow the M4 pill, but am wondering what exactly I would gain and lose.

Reliably is the primary reason to switch, correct? Isn't the M4s action pretty much unstoppable?

I'm at a point where I want to put more money into the M2, or should I just get an M4 instead.

Also, a possible downside, is if I desire 922r compliance after a capacity increase, the M4 requires one more part over the M2, correct?

View Quote

I had 2 M4s. Sold them both, now have 2 m2s.

Not to take ANYTHING away from the m4. Id say reliability is the same between the 2 and the 4. The only time reliability would fome into question, is if you bolt a bunch of shit on them. In which case, the gas gun (m4) would come out ahead.
Naked, it would be a toss up. But a m2 is unstoppable in factory form.
4 MAY be more adaptable to ligbter loads, but I have yet to find anything that my m2s wont eat.

M4 is a combat gun, and thats it. . M2 is a sporting gun, and IMO, is more versitile. A 21in m2 is jack of all trades. Makes a great hunting gun, a solid tactical gun, a great HD shotgun, and is arguably  the best 3 gun shotgun EVER.

It comes down to what you want to do with it. If you want a pure combat shotgun, get the m4.
M2 for EVERYTHING else.

Or, just buy a 4,and keep the 2. But id never ditch a m2 because I was worried about "reliability"
Thats just flat out inaccurate.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 1:33:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply. I've heard people bash the M2 in that past (gun store fodder) about how it's so sensitive a shell holder can cause issues. I've never experienced an issue.  Do you run any shell carriers on your M2s?  The things I would possibly want to add is a shell carrier and a pic rail for an RMR or T2 in addition to some QD sockets for a better sling.

Interesting you've owned 2 M4s and now have 2 M2s.

So what I actually NEED is 1 combat 18.5" and 1 do-it-all 'Field' type M2 in the 26" range with the normal comfort tech stock. I suppose the best thing would just be to buy a 26" Field Benelli the way I want it and be done.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 2:22:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Get the M3. Very reliable.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 6:04:58 AM EDT
[#4]
You'll gain some weight. The M4 is significantly heavier due to differing construction techniques. The M4 will generally tolerate more abusive care than the M2. On one of my M4's, I put several thousand rounds through it without cleaning it. Eventually I just got bored and broke the streak. Shoot a little more oil in it and it'll practically run forever. I found the M2 to be more of a bitch in cold weather situations. The ARGO just makes that bitch work.

I'm not one for slapping a bunch of shit on my shotgun. Worst thing you can do is add a pound of weight with a side saddle arrangement. It's not that the weapon is heavy, the problem is it slows down how fast you can swing the barrel from target to target. Given that, if I was doing competition shooting, I'd get an M2. It's a lot lighter and chances are it'll be babied more when it comes to cleaning and care.

If you want an autoloader with a weapon light, M4 is the answer. Ava Tactical is the light mount you seek. There is a lot of high end aftermarket parts out there for the M4. Titanium magazine tubes and lightweight top rails.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 8:45:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply. I've heard people bash the M2 in that past (gun store fodder) about how it's so sensitive a shell holder can cause issues. I've never experienced an issue.  Do you run any shell carriers on your M2s?  The things I would possibly want to add is a shell carrier and a pic rail for an RMR or T2 in addition to some QD sockets for a better sling.

Interesting you've owned 2 M4s and now have 2 M2s.

So what I actually NEED is 1 combat 18.5" and 1 do-it-all 'Field' type M2 in the 26" range with the normal comfort tech stock. I suppose the best thing would just be to buy a 26" Field Benelli the way I want it and be done.
View Quote

If you are going to mount all that, id go with the m4.
Both running naked, id go m2.

Link Posted: 3/28/2016 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 4:01:55 PM EDT
[#7]
With everything you're hanging on the gun, I'd go with the M4.  It's designed to do that sort of thing.  Neither the M2 nor the M4 can do everything, though they can come close.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I have both.  Each had advantages, so get both.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the M4 is MUCH softer on recoil.  Makes it much more pleasant to shoot a lot of rounds.

M2's big advantage is light weight and nimbleness.

Link Posted: 3/29/2016 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Strange. I have an M4 and I always though the recoil was rough compared to an 1187.

I never shot an M2.

M4 is always been with the C-Stock.

I will have to try another M4 out to see why that might be...
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 12:34:18 AM EDT
[#10]
until recent times, all Benellis were recoil operated and were known to be reliable in adverse hunting conditions.   M4 came along with gas operation but still seems to maintain Benelli's reputation for reliability.   Definitely has less recoil.

I swear some of the recoil operated Benelli's have more recoil than my 870.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 7:25:26 AM EDT
[#11]
The felt recoil of any gun vs another gun is directly proportionate to each gun's weight, stock geometry, recoil pad softness, cartridge velocity and payload, etc...
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:36:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Just installed some crap on my M2. Couple QD sling mounts and a limbsaver pad for my Urbino stock.

Anybody have the limbsaver on their Urbino? Did it make a diff in felt recoil? I'm still 2 weeks out of any sort of snotty range trip.

The stock Urbino pad pretty much just fell off. The stock glue failed, so I figured out I'd try the Limbsaver version.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#13]
M2!!!

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:57:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
do what I did, get the M1, M2 and M4

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top