Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2016 2:02:48 AM EDT
I just won this on Gunbroker.  The seller said that the trigger guard is metallic.  It looks like an actual old police model to me, but the receiver says "Remington 870 Magnum"  rather than having the "Police Magnum" marking.  What exactly did I get?

Linky to Gunbroker
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 2:22:59 AM EDT
[#1]
The Police models were not marked differently until the 90's I think. Also, a LE agency could buy anything, so the fact of it being a LE trade-in is meaningless. My agency issued cut-down 870 Expresses from Walmart (sigh).

That being said, it does have a LE fore end, so that's a good sign. Does it have a flexitab carrier? They were introduced to LE production first, then all 870 production, and can be an upgrade to any 870. It's uncommon to see a LE gun without it.

If you post a non-blurry closeup of the extractor, I can tell you if it's MIM or not. MIM extractors never shipped on Police guns.

Or call Remington with the serial number; they can tell you what it left the factory as, also the approximate production year.

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the quick reply; I'll post some better updates once I receive it.  I might try to call Remington on Monday.

Does the trigger guard appear to be metal from the pic?  I'm gonna be really disappointed if I get a plastic trigger assembly.  A metallic trigger group from Brownell's is about $95.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#3]
The Police Mag I bought looks similar. Also the last letter in your serial number is the same as mine. M.

If you want to sell your wood furniture let me know.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#4]
The M at the end of the serial number is the coding for a Magnum 3" receiver.  The code is used on every 870 that accepts 3 inch shells.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 12:17:41 PM EDT
[#5]
1990 12ga Magnum.  "X" prefix denotes manufacture year 1990, "M" suffix 12ga magnum
Police furniture, 20" IC choked barrel? If it has a orange follower and has the heavy trigger spring (yellow tone) then it's definitely a police magnum. They didn't start marking them "Police Magnum" till sometime in the late 1990's.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm going to keep my stock set.   I picked this particular gun because I liked the furniture.   I'm going to try really hard to do all my own gunsmithing, as that's an interest of mine anyways.

Quick (maybe dumb) question: what's a non-destructive way to be sure if this trigger guard is plastic or cast aluminum?

ETA:  What's the weight of the plastic and aluminum assemblies?   I could toss it onto my digital food scale or reloading scale.....
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Does the trigger guard appear to be metal from the pic?
View Quote

I can't tell from those GB pics. It looks like a coarse texture on it though, which would mean it's not the old-style (Wingmaster) aluminum trigger plate. That should mean that, when you remove it, you'll either see unfinished metal on top, or it will be all-black because it's plastic.

Here are some pics to help you ID:

Original-style aluminum trigger plate, as used from 1951 onward. It began to be phased out starting with the Express models.

See how smooth it is? The whole part will be black, because it is anodized. These are the best 870 trigger plates, IMO. They were the first to be used on Police guns, because back then they were used on every 870.

Later-style metal trigger plate

I don't even know if these are really aluminum. When you hold one, they feel like potmetal with zinc content. These first appeared on the 870 Express and were phased into other 870 models as time went on.

Here's one on a current-production 870 Police:

It'll be obvious if you have one of these, due to the top being unfinished.

Plastic trigger plate

These were introduced to make the Express model even cheaper to produce.

This will be all-black, and obviously made of plastic.

These were never used on Police models, but are common now on most other 870's. I believe they are superior to the potmetal plates with the unfinished top, due to them being more difficult to damage from impacts.

Here are the 2 extractors compared. MIM extractors were never used on Police guns.

If you have a MIM extractor, you should replace it with the machined extractor, because the MIM ones have a much higher failure rate.

You do not need any special tools for most 870 gunsmithing. You'll need a fore end wrench to properly tighten (and remove a tight) fore end nut. If you need to replace the ejector, Brownells sells a special toolkit for this, but that is not a common task.

Anything non-Police about an 870 can be converted to Police-style with common tools. Changing from a 2.75" chamber to 3" requires a new ejector. Yours is setup for 3" already though.

Flexitabs have been used on Police guns since 1984.

All 870 models have the Flexitab since about 1985, but Remington uses the slide from the Super Magnum (F401024) in LE guns, and a different 3" slide in all other Flexitab guns (F401023). My research has led me to conclude this is because both slides are manufactured from 2 parts joined together (since the 90's) using pins, and the Super Mag part has a stronger joint (2 pins vs 1). They sell both of these parts at the same price to consumers. As of a couple years ago, Brownells was shipping the non-LE slide (F401023) and a MIM extractor in their Flexitab Upgrade Kit. These kits did not ship from Remington; Brownells was putting them together from individual Remington parts.

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 3:35:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Flavors of 870:

Express:
Rougher, unpolished finish inside and out. More burrs.
Rough black finish.
Hardwood or synthetic stock.
Cheaper, impressed checkering.
Black bolt.
Plastic trigger group.
Politically-correct lockable safety button (possibly discontinued by now).
New style magazine assembly with plastic parts and the "dimples" (won't take magazine extensions).
Rougher bore.
Some MIM, (molded steel parts) in critical areas, like the extractor.

Wingmaster:
Much smoother, polished finish inside and out. No burrs.
Polished blue finish.
Walnut or synthetic stock.
Better quality checkering.
A chrome plated bolt.
Aluminum trigger group.
Lockable safety button (newer models only).
Old-style steel magazine assembly (no dimples, will accept magazine extensions).
Much smoother bore.
No MIM parts are used in any critical area.

Police:
Smooth finish inside and out.
Mil-spec parkerized finish.
Walnut or synthetic stock.
Black bolt.
Aluminum trigger guard
NO lockable safety button.
Old style magazine assembly (no dimples, will accept magazine extensions).
Smooth, polished bore.
No MIM parts used.
Heavy-duty magazine spring.
Heavy-duty trigger sear spring.
A wide choice in sights, stocks, magazine extensions, and other accessories.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#10]
The Remington ISS / Lockable safety button / J-lock was discontinued years ago, fortunately. If your gun has one, Remington will mail you a key for it for free.

https://support.remington.com/General_Information/How_can_I_get_another_ISS_key_to_unlock_my_firearm%3F
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 2:39:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm going to keep my stock set.   I picked this particular gun because I liked the furniture.   I'm going to try really hard to do all my own gunsmithing, as that's an interest of mine anyways.

Quick (maybe dumb) question: what's a non-destructive way to be sure if this trigger guard is plastic or cast aluminum?

ETA:  What's the weight of the plastic and aluminum assemblies?   I could toss it onto my digital food scale or reloading scale.....
View Quote

Even on Express models of the early 1990's the trigger plate was alloy and there were no magazine dimples yet. Unless it's been replaced by a cheapo department (which I doubt) it should be alloy.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Remington was marking Police models as "Police Magnum" in the early 1980's.  
I owned a couple.

The aluminum 870 trigger group is not cast aluminum, it's made of compressed powdered aluminum.
Truth is the plastic assembly has proved to be as tough and long lasting and has a few actual advantages over the powdered aluminum version.
It has no finish to wear off.
If struck, dropped, or bumped the aluminum trigger guard will break.  The polymer will flex and at least partially return to shape.
The polymer is self lubricating.

Remington had changed the receiver marking many times over the years.
However, as far as I can determine, since at least the early 80's genuine Police guns are stamped "Police" on the receiver.
If it's a Wingmaster it's stamped Wingmaster, and if not stamped with any name it's almost certainly an Express.
You see a LOT of 870's advertised as Police models when they're really Express model defense guns.

Real Police models made since the early 80's will have Improved Cylinder barrels unless special ordered by a department.
The Police guns have either the gray parkerized finish or a satin blue with wood stocks.  Note the blue is a satin BLUE not the bead blasted black blue of the Express.
The short barrel home defense type Express guns will have Cylinder bore barrels, the black bead blasted blue finish and the standard 4-shot magazines will have the Express dimples.

As is always the case with Remington, much of this is subject to change.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:52:08 PM EDT
[#13]
The original aluminum trigger plates were cast. I have one marked ALCOA.

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I called Remington this afternoon and gave them the serial number.  They said that it's an 870 Police Magnum, made in 1990, with a 20" IC-choke barrel with rifle sights, parkerized, with wood furniture.

So, it looks like I got a legit, non-bubba'ed Police Magnum, used but not molested.  I'm stoked!  Now, if it would just hurry up and get here...................

What would be some good upgrades?  I'm thinking that I should replace the springs (with Wolff XP or Remington Police spec), maybe add a side saddle (either elastic/velcro or a Mesa aluminum), maybe convert to Williams fiber optic sights, bigger safety, maybe a different follower, maybe a Nordic magazine extension.  

I'm thinking that I want to Duracoat it as well, in some kind of parkerized, gray, or OD green look.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 10:58:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Congratulations!

Replacing springs is a good idea. I would not use Police spings (except the magazine spring). They just make the trigger pull heavier, and there's no need for a XP carrier dog spring.

Aftermarket followers are unnecessary, but they won't hurt anything.

Side saddles are cool. I like Speedfeed stocks with +4 shells. Slugs on the right side.

Actual parkerizing is better and cheaper than Duracoat. Parkerizing with Duracoat or Cerakote on top is the best.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 11:10:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I called Remington this afternoon and gave them the serial number.  They said that it's an 870 Police Magnum, made in 1990, with a 20" IC-choke barrel with rifle sights, parkerized, with wood furniture.

So, it looks like I got a legit, non-bubba'ed Police Magnum, used but not molested.  I'm stoked!  Now, if it would just hurry up and get here...................

What would be some good upgrades?  I'm thinking that I should replace the springs (with Wolff XP or Remington Police spec), maybe add a side saddle (either elastic/velcro or a Mesa aluminum), maybe convert to Williams fiber optic sights, bigger safety, maybe a different follower, maybe a Nordic magazine extension.  

I'm thinking that I want to Duracoat it as well, in some kind of parkerized, gray, or OD green look.
View Quote

That's great! Now go back and look at my 1st post...

Steel Truglo sights are better than the Williams firesights. That said there are some great tritium sights for the Remington sight bases too. I find the Truglo to be accurate as hell at range
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 12:17:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, you nailed it!
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 11:41:30 PM EDT
[#18]
It came in today!  I'll try to get some pics posted within the next few days.  I'm pleased with it.  It shows a normal amount of finish wear on bolt and barrel, the receiver shows a bit of finish wear from how it was stored, and there's some hints of light oxidation around the muzzle and on the front sight.  The barrel is IC, and the trigger group is aluminum.

I think I can buff and de-grease the steel parts, then use Dura-Park on them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:05:44 AM EDT
[#19]
I just purchased an 870 Magnum that was an LE trade from my LGS.  It has a black bolt and metal trigger guard, I believe it is a police magnum before the receivers were marked people police.  NICS was down so I have to pick it up this coming weekend, I'll post pics.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:04:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just purchased an 870 Magnum that was an LE trade from my LGS.  It has a black bolt and metal trigger guard, I believe it is a police magnum before the receivers were marked people police.  NICS was down so I have to pick it up this coming weekend, I'll post pics.
View Quote

Pics:

" />
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Sweet! I like Speedfeed stocks. Are you going to put a mag extension on it? It looks great as it is.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
  I can't tell from those GB pics. It looks like a coarse texture on it though, which would mean it's not the old-style (Wingmaster) aluminum trigger plate. That should mean that, when you remove it, you'll either see unfinished metal on top, or it will be all-black because it's plastic.

Original-style aluminum trigger plate, as used from 1951 onward. It began to be phased out starting with the Express models.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ATzRdPksqu0/Tjvhb0heXJI/AAAAAAAAC1g/fpaaasWaRDQ/s1600/wingmasterreceiver.JPG

See how smooth it is? The whole part will be black, because it is anodized. These are the best 870 trigger plates, IMO. They were the first to be used on Police guns, because back then they were used on every 870.

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/338/338701.jpg

I don't even know if these are really aluminum. When you hold one, they feel like potmetal with zinc content. These first appeared on the 870 Express and were phased into other 870 models as time went on.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/P/B003THGA5A.01-AUN6LAA1GOVA2._SS1000_SCRMZZZZZZZ_V342717904_.jpg

https://gastatic.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Remington-870-17-400x267.jpg

Plastic trigger plate
http://www.vomschmidthaus.com/img/870_tanks_wr/tanks_wr_02.jpg

http://www.vomschmidthaus.com/img/870_tanks_wr/tanks_wr_08.jpg

These were never used on Police models, but are common now on most other 870's. I believe they are superior to the potmetal plates with the unfinished top, due to them being more difficult to damage from impacts.

Here are the 2 extractors compared. MIM extractors were never used on Police guns.
http://www.rem870.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/remington870_extractor_non_mim.jpg

If you have a MIM extractor, you should replace it with the machined extractor, because the MIM ones have a much higher failure rate.

You do not need any special tools for most 870 gunsmithing. You'll need a fore end wrench to properly tighten (and remove a tight) fore end nut. If you need to replace the ejector, Brownells sells a special toolkit for this, but that is not a common task.

Anything non-Police about an 870 can be converted to Police-style with common tools. Changing from a 2.75" chamber to 3" requires a new ejector. Yours is setup for 3" already though.

All 870 models have the Flexitab since about 1985, but Remington uses the slide from the Super Magnum (F401024) in LE guns, and a different 3" slide in all other Flexitab guns (F401023). My research has led me to conclude this is because both slides are manufactured from 2 parts joined together (since the 90's) using pins, and the Super Mag part has a stronger joint (2 pins vs 1). They sell both of these parts at the same price to consumers. As of a couple years ago, Brownells was shipping the non-LE slide (F401023) and a MIM extractor in their Flexitab Upgrade Kit. These kits did not ship from Remington; Brownells was putting them together from individual Remington parts.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Pentagon556/guns/870/IMG_1164.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does the trigger guard appear to be metal from the pic?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ATzRdPksqu0/Tjvhb0heXJI/AAAAAAAAC1g/fpaaasWaRDQ/s1600/wingmasterreceiver.JPG

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/338/338701.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/P/B003THGA5A.01-AUN6LAA1GOVA2._SS1000_SCRMZZZZZZZ_V342717904_.jpg

https://gastatic.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Remington-870-17-400x267.jpg

Plastic trigger plate
http://www.vomschmidthaus.com/img/870_tanks_wr/tanks_wr_02.jpg

http://www.vomschmidthaus.com/img/870_tanks_wr/tanks_wr_08.jpg

http://www.rem870.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/remington870_extractor_non_mim.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Pentagon556/guns/870/IMG_1164.jpg

I keep wishing Geissele would make an 870 trigger group.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 3:53:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Sweet! I like Speedfeed stocks. Are you going to put a mag extension on it? It looks great as it is.
View Quote

Thanks!!  Yes, I am looking in the EE for a Remington parkerized extension tube.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:05:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I have an  early 90s era Express Magnum and a Police Magnum.  I replaced all the Express parts with PM guts, will just because it was cheap and easy.  My PM did have the compresses aluminum trigger housing, I swapped it for the polymer/plastic Express trigger group after I replaced all the springs and stuff.  I actually prefer the plastic housing, less apt to gouging it or breaking it.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:32:51 AM EDT
[#25]
I have an early express I bought in the very early 90s, aside from the matte blue finish, quality of machining and materials is probably equal or better than a new Police model.  They didn't do MIM back then as far as I know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top