Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2016 1:43:46 PM EDT
Anyone here setup a Auto 5 with extended tube and anything else needed to make it a high capacity fighting shotgun??
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I've done a Remington Model 11.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:16:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I did a magnum A5 and a Remington model 11. I have found them to be very reliable HD guns.
" />
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a 1919-dated Model 11 at the gun show every month that I've had my eye on. Specifically I'd want to make a shorter-barreled riot gun clone out of it. Other than looking for a split forend and missing parts, what other things do I need to watch out for?

He wants $350 for it, it has a long full-choke barrel, about 50-65% finish, non-cracked buttstock, and looks to be complete.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:19:44 AM EDT
[#4]
You will need to change it over to the later model Browning speed feed.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#5]
!940's Remington made Auto 5.
FN moved production to the USA during WWII after the Nazi's over ran Belgium.
Speed feed added.
Post count to low to post pics.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:48:26 AM EDT
[#6]
That's Bad ASS!!!!

Is that yours???
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:56:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

$180 in parts for a $300 shotgun? I think not.

A little research says to check that the charging handle isn't touching the receiver at the front of the ejection port. This is a sign that the forend wood is trashed or oil-soaked, as the barrel spaces off it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Speed feed added.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hlvqvqkm3l478o/781.JPG?dl=0

View Quote

Nice!

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There's a 1919-dated Model 11 at the gun show every month that I've had my eye on. Specifically I'd want to make a shorter-barreled riot gun clone out of it. Other than looking for a split forend and missing parts, what other things do I need to watch out for?

He wants $350 for it, it has a long full-choke barrel, about 50-65% finish, non-cracked buttstock, and looks to be complete.
View Quote

Seems a bit high imo.  The one I bought had a minor crack in the fore end, poly choke on the barrel, and no missing parts.  After shipping, dealer fee and that stupid $10 background check it was still around $100 less.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I did a magnum A5 and a Remington model 11. I have found them to be very reliable HD guns.
http://<a href=http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z464/mastrtech/aed13b140e2013092b526ce880116fb3_zps3csmml72.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

Is that top shotgun a model 11?  If so, how much modification was required for that synthetic stock at the bottom tang?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:42:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's Bad ASS!!!!

Is that yours???
View Quote

Yes it's mine, bought it super cheap. I shortened the barrel and re-brazed the poly choke back on and found the speed feed lifter on ebay.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Seems a bit high imo.  The one I bought had a minor crack in the fore end, poly choke on the barrel, and no missing parts.  After shipping, dealer fee and that stupid $10 background check it was still around $100 less.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm inclined to agree, and so is the buying public, I guess. The same dealer has been dragging it to the monthly gun shows for almost a year now. I do like the fact that the forend isn't visibly cracked, but I don't want to disassemble it just to satisfy a curiousity.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#13]

What mag extension is that?

Do you have pics of the lifter?

Quoted:

Yes it's mine, bought it super cheap. I shortened the barrel and re-brazed the poly choke back on and found the speed feed lifter on ebay.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's Bad ASS!!!!

Is that yours???

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#14]
The magazine extension is made by Choate for Remington 870's and 1100's. It needed a small spacer to tighten up all the way. I modified an ar buffer tube sling thingy for that job.

pic of 2 piece lifter, it dropped right in.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
That's Bad ASS!!!!

Is that yours???

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:19:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

A little research says to check that the charging handle isn't touching the receiver at the front of the ejection port. This is a sign that the forend wood is trashed or oil-soaked, as the barrel spaces off it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have fun loading it.

All you really need is the two-piece lifter.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:41:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I bought an old one (pre WW2) a few years back at a local gun store.  Hard used and not very well taken care of.  I got it for $295.  I planned to cut the barrel, add the extended magazine tube and refinish it.  Once I got it home and started working on the brown surface rust with 3n1 oil and 0000 steel wool it wasn't nearly as bad as it looked.

I decided not to cut the barrel after a gunsmith told me that some A5's came from the factory with poly chokes.  There are no starts on the barrel to show whether or not it was a full, modified or improved cylinder choke, so he could be right.

I planned to recut the checkering and refinish the stock so I bought a Ramline synthetic stock and forend for it (and just left it on there).

I got a Nordic extended tube.  It holds about 9 or 10 shells.  I also bought new springs and friction rings for it.

If you decide to tear it down completely (like I did) you'll needs some special thin bladed screw driver tips.  I got mine from Brownells.  John Browning had an amazing mind.  The internals are really neat on that shotgun.  Parts of it reminded me of the M37 Ithaca (which he also designed, but later).  You can get parts from http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/ctgy/browning-auto-5

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:56:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Is that top shotgun a model 11?  If so, how much modification was required for that synthetic stock at the bottom tang?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://<a href=http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z464/mastrtech/aed13b140e2013092b526ce880116fb3_zps3csmml72.jpg</a>" />

No the top is the A5 magnum. Middle one is the model 11. The synthetic stocks are browning replacements I got from a friend. You can make them fit a model 11 but it requires heating and bending the tang with a torch.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:47:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Have fun loading it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have fun loading it.

I'm left-handed, so I have to work anyway.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:18:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have fun loading it.

The two piece lifter eliminates having to push the button on the side of the receiver to load it. It really helps speed things along. The speed feed feature is just kind of a bonus.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:58:52 AM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Speed feed added.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hlvqvqkm3l478o/781.JPG?dl=0

Nice!

http://i65.tinypic.com/155t4lg.jpg

That shotgun is just absolutely the meanest vintage shotgun!  Its like the original daddy of the HK512 and the Polychoke just adds some coolness and likely some practicality as I have found those chokes do work well for changing patterns.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 10:09:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Where's the guy that has the sweet looking Rhodie A5 with the long forend? That gun is bitchin'.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top