Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2015 7:26:46 PM EDT
I have a 870 express tactical and I was thinking about upgrading it to the police metal trigger group and add the police extractor.
but is it worth the extra $100 for the metal trigger group or be better of just buying the extractor and the spring for $30 and get the same performance?
I don't think that I would break the plastic trigger group with it being a truck gun or home defense gun. are there and benefits on having the metal or plastic?
if there is no difference I can use the extra $100 for ammo or other parts for the 870. I would appreciate and help and information.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 8:44:17 PM EDT
[#1]
i want to get in before the "your going to die if you use plastic parts" crowd, I would do the extractor first and run the rest till something breaks.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#2]
First of all, you can call it "plastic" if you want.

You can call the material your Glock is made of "plastic" too.

So long as you also call the METAL 870 trigger guard "ground-up beer cans."

What are you asking the trigger group of this shotgun to do that the ground-up-beer-cans trigger group would do better?

Are you having shotgun fights in 300-degree-plus environments?

With regard to the extractor, are you having extraction problems now?

Its always a good idea to stock spare parts.
Extractor and firing pin come to mind.
I wouldn't install any of those parts though until the existing parts started acting funky. - which probably won't be in your lifetime unless you have a shoulder of stone.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have a 870 express tactical and I was thinking about upgrading it to the police metal trigger group and add the police extractor.
but is it worth the extra $100 for the metal trigger group or be better of just buying the extractor and the spring for $30 and get the same performance?
I don't think that I would break the plastic trigger group with it being a truck gun or home defense gun. are there and benefits on having the metal or plastic?
if there is no difference I can use the extra $100 for ammo or other parts for the 870. I would appreciate and help and information.
View Quote

The metal trigger guard is shitty compressed powdered aluminum.
The plastic trigger guard is much more durable and will flex when hit. The AL guard will break.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:09:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Is the metal trigger pack that comes with the Police model really an "upgrade?"

I don't think so. Nothing "wrong" with the plastic trigger pack. If you must, change a MIM extractor out and the lifter spring for the 1100 part in the Police variant. Most of all, just get out and shoot.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#5]
If it ain't broke, don't fix it! I have a beat to hell 1960s 870 police gun and a newer one with the plastic. I can't tell that either really makes a difference one way or the other except the older one is smoother from use. I never doubt the serviceability of the plastic one. Spend the extra money on ammo.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:48:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the metal trigger pack that comes with the Police model really an "upgrade?"

I don't think so. Nothing "wrong" with the plastic trigger pack. If you must, change a MIM extractor out and the lifter spring for the 1100 part in the Police variant. Most of all, just get out and shoot.
View Quote

I agree.  Plastic is fine.  Some will argue it is better.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:56:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out this video from Ruger.  They drop test polymer vs aluminum trigger guards.  I know it's not Remington or 870 specific, but does show that polymer is a viable option in terms of strength.

http://www.ruger.com/resources/videos.html?vidID=007005
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:27:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I own 870s with both the sintered AL trigger guard and the plastic guard. I have had ZERO problems with either type even on guns that get used hard or in harsh environments. If I really had to make a choice, I would probably go with the durable plastic (polymer, whatever you want to call it). The finish doesn't flake off like it does it does on the Aluminum and on COLD days, you can flip the safety and keep your bare trigger finger on the outside of the trigger guard waiting for a shot without having it freeze to the metal. A subtle but appreciated advantage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top