Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2015 10:18:52 PM EDT
Can I safely drill a small hole into the chamber of a 12ga shotgun? The hole will be about 3/32 forward of the lip of the round when chambered and completely covered by the brass of the round. I need to put a cotter pin or similar through the magazine tube and would prefer the end to anchor on the chamber side. Intent is not to go into the chamber but sometimes shit happens.... ya know?

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 10:37:30 PM EDT
[#1]
what are you trying to accomplish that a magazine plug can't do?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 10:40:37 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah please explain what the goal is here?
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 1:29:34 AM EDT
[#3]
How are you going to fit a cotter pin in the chamber where it's going to be covered by brass? I wouldn't think there's that much wiggle room and even if there is it's probably gonna make it load unreliable as fuck. Generally drilling a hole in any gun chamber is just a bad idea.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 4:09:02 AM EDT
[#4]
The shotgun is a breakdown style pump shotgun. When it is separated the cotter pin will hold 5 rounds in the mag tube.  Slap the gun together pull the pin and it'll be fully loaded and ready to go.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 6:57:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The shotgun is a breakdown style pump shotgun. When it is separated the cotter pin will hold 5 rounds in the mag tube.  Slap the gun together pull the pin and it'll be fully loaded and ready to go.
View Quote

Nothing good can come from a hole in the chamber. The shell's metal base "might" still support...or the metal might expand into the hole and lock that fired round in the chamber. Drill the hole carefully and don't drill into the chamber area would be my plan.

You've got an interesting idea. Which model of gun are you using?
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 7:51:26 AM EDT
[#6]
It's a Stevens 620a sold under the westernfield name. In its broken down state it fits perfectly under the floor in the hatch area of my car.

I'm planning on being careful but knowing what the worst case is never hurts!
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I have looked at the same idea. I decided that the mag tube setup didn't give enough room to drill where I wanted to keep mag fully loaded. I decided -1 round and have the pin horizontal in the tube forward of the receiver an inch or so would be best. I then decided to scrap the whole idea.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 8:09:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm actually thinking of drilling the mating area rather than the tube. 1 it allows for a full load and two I can still spin the tube to get lock up before pulling the pin and loading.

There is a ton of steel in these guns.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 8:35:22 AM EDT
[#9]
FWIW- I agree with others, this just sounds like a bad idea, particularly on a gun that you are setting up to possibly bet your life on.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#10]
If it was me I wouldn't do it. A hole in a high stress, high pressure area is just a starting point for cracks or like someone else said the brass could expand into the hole and make reliability an issue. And let's be honest with a little bit of practice you should be able to throw five rounds in there as quick as you can fiddle with pulling that small ass pin out in a high stress situation and if your just dead set on doing it why not just put it in the magazine tube horizontally where it will hold 3-4 (one less than max) then all you have to do is put the forend and barrel on, pull the pin ( put a lanyard on it), and you'll have 3-4 rounds ready to burn or you can quickly top it off. I'd avoid at all cost drilling a hole in the chamber
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:35:37 PM EDT
[#11]
WOW - just WOW. This idea is right up there with Dremel barrel fluting

Use your imagination - they must be at least a dozen better ways to achieve what you want to without drilling into the chamber. Definitely more brain cycles required.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Since you have to put the shotgun together in order to use it, why not take an extra five seconds and load the tube? I have a Model 12 that breaks down into two halves small enough to fit in a short case, so I get what you're wanting to accomplish. You'd be better off just practicing how to pop it together and load quickly, instead of permanently modifying your Stevens in a possibly unsafe(and stupid) manner.

It's your face, though...
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#13]
LOl talk about alot of work for no gain. Wow.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

How do you figure

1. a lot of work?

and

2. No gain?
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd go with the idea mentioned above and pin in only through the magazine tube if possible or look for other ways. I wouldn't drill into the chamber at all, could lead to cracks or who knows, not worth the risk.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'd go with the idea mentioned above and pin in only through the magazine tube if possible or look for other ways. I wouldn't drill into the chamber at all, could lead to cracks or who knows, not worth the risk.
View Quote

There is actually no plans to drill into the chamber. I was just curious what would be the result in such a low pressure type of weapon.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 7:19:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How do you figure

1. a lot of work?

and

2. No gain?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you figure

1. a lot of work?

and

2. No gain?

If drilling a hole into the chamber of a firearm was a "good idea" everyone would already be doing it.
I really can't believe I'm reading this thread. Doing what you describe is one of the worst ideas I could imagine.

Sell the gun you have, buy the gun you need.
There are plenty of folding stock options for shotguns.

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If drilling a hole into the chamber of a firearm was a "good idea" everyone would already be doing it.
I really can't believe I'm reading this thread. Doing what you describe is one of the worst ideas I could imagine.

View Quote

I suspect you have a very limited imagination then. I can think of many many worse ideas. And a folding stock would not work for my application. I considered that actually.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I suspect you have a very limited imagination then. I can think of many many worse ideas. And a folding stock would not work for my application. I considered that actually.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Imagination has nothing to do with it. Common sense does.

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're getting pissy with folks who you asked advice from? Drill what you like. I'm not wasting any more brainpower on this. Good luck with your venture OP
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 9:26:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

How do you figure

1. a lot of work?

and

2. No gain?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you figure

1. a lot of work?

and

2. No gain?

Work as in the people here wasting brain power telling you NOT to drill a hole in the chamber of a firearm!

no gain as in a trunk gun hidden under some crap that you want to pull a pin on after you join the Voltron gun together and then go save the day!
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 11:26:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Easy guys. And OP, with a question like that maybe bitchy isn't the way to go. The mod you are asking

about has been done for many years, but the hole wasn't drilled any where near the chamber. It was

put where my index finger is pointing.

The pin only has to be long enough to hold the shells in, I like to stay below the primer.

I have to go now, as it is Sloppy Joe night and I already have my PJ's on.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#23]
It's not the question that bugs me(though I still wouldn't do the mod to any of my guns), it's the "I want to try this, but if I accidentally drill into the chamber because I'm not very skilled- oh well" attitude of the original post that bothers me.

Leave your 620 alone and learn to assemble and load it quickly. That way there is no way you will damage your shotgun or yourself.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm working on something similar for my 620 project, although it won't modify the gun at all. Basically it's a spring steel cover that slides onto the receiver indexing grooves on the barrel trunnion and it holds the rounds in the tube plus one in the chamber in place. I have a picture on my comp somewhere, if I find it I'll post it.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 2:48:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Yep, that's the spot.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s18.photobucket.com/user/georgiab2/media/20151122_120529_zpsvcmvptf0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/georgiab2/20151122_120529_zpsvcmvptf0.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s18.photobucket.com/user/georgiab2/media/20151122_120646_zpsgjeldx2h.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/georgiab2/20151122_120646_zpsgjeldx2h.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s18.photobucket.com/user/georgiab2/media/20151122_120707_zpshfcb5nkq.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/georgiab2/20151122_120707_zpshfcb5nkq.jpg</a>
View Quote

I knew I'd seen that done somewhere!
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:53:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s18.photobucket.com/user/georgiab2/media/20151122_120529_zpsvcmvptf0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/georgiab2/20151122_120529_zpsvcmvptf0.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s18.photobucket.com/user/georgiab2/media/20151122_120646_zpsgjeldx2h.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/georgiab2/20151122_120646_zpsgjeldx2h.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s18.photobucket.com/user/georgiab2/media/20151122_120707_zpshfcb5nkq.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/georgiab2/20151122_120707_zpshfcb5nkq.jpg</a>
View Quote

Damn, that actually looks like it works really well. May have to go that route if my cover plate idea doesn't work.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 10:46:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm happy to say it works perfectly.

Quoted:

Damn, that actually looks like it works really well. May have to go that route if my cover plate idea doesn't work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Maybe just me, but...

...the gun is a takedown and the OP is talking about have it taken down.

It takes just a couple seconds to snap it back together. Takes a couple seconds to stoke it up.

Being that you're spending time fussing with it to put it back together, is having the tube unloaded really going to make or break the deal?
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Maybe just me, but...

It takes just a couple seconds to snap it back together. Takes a couple seconds to stoke it up.

Being that you're spending time fussing with it to put it back together, is having the tube unloaded really going to make or break the deal?
View Quote

I just cut the time from hands on to action by 50 to 70% with this simple mod. I personally think it was well worth the effort.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:37:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Maybe just me, but...

View Quote

I'm guessing you've never loaded up a 520/620 shotgun before.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 3:27:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm guessing you've never loaded up a 520/620 shotgun before.
View Quote

Hehe yes it's easy to figure out who hasn't and who has.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 4:39:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I just cut the time from hands on to action by 50 to 70% with this simple mod. I personally think it was well worth the effort.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe just me, but...

Did you use that "One Weird Trick"?

And what is different about loading the 620? Do you have to let the shell lifter flip back down completely like a Winchester Model 12? That one got me the first time I loaded mine.

I have to admit, that's a pretty slick mod you did. Good on you for not drilling into the chamber like you said you were afraid of doing.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:17:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

And what is different about loading the 620? Do you have to let the shell lifter flip back down completely like a Winchester Model 12? That one got me the first time I loaded mine.

I have to admit, that's a pretty slick mod you did. Good on you for not drilling into the chamber like you said you were afraid of doing.
View Quote

It's hard to explain but the 620 series weapons are not the fastest loading. The loading gate actually holds the round rather than a retainer at the mouth of the tube. So to add a round you have to press pretty hard to get the loading gate to drive the existing shell forward into the tube to allow the new one in.

what was "One Weird Trick"?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:47:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's hard to explain but the 620 series weapons are not the fastest loading. The loading gate actually holds the round rather than a retainer at the mouth of the tube. So to add a round you have to press pretty hard to get the loading gate to drive the existing shell forward into the tube to allow the new one in.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That generic ad you see, you know, "Housewife makes $10,000 a week using this one weird trick". Everything from penis enlargement to home refinancing.

This shows how the Model 12 holds its shells. It threw me until I watched the video, but it's completely normal. Beware, the guy's narration is narcolepsy-inducing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top