Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2015 8:33:53 PM EDT

Due to some vision issues, I'm having to learn how to shoot long guns left handed after 35 years of shooting righty. (well, OK, 30-ish years, I guess I didn't shoot from birth) I'm also developing an interest in trap and skeet, especially trap at first, after going to do that a few times with a buddy who is into it. So I'm looking at shotguns now.        
 A general purpose gun though, not a specialized trap gun at this point.

What's out there in the world of left handed shotguns, specifically semiauto? I've seen that Remington makes (made?) a left handed 1100, and that's what I've been borrowing (a right handed one), so that may be what I'll look for. But are there others y'all would recommend?

I shoot a right handed gun just fine from the left shoulder, don't notice any issues (yet! knock on wood) with empties ejecting across my face....but it's a bit awkward loading right handed and then switching to lefty to shoulder the gun, thus my search....

Link Posted: 11/8/2015 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#1]
My normal 1100 works perfectly fine left handed.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Any of them, though the cross-bolt safety on my Beretta 1201FP was pretty awkward, compared to my others.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I only own one true left handed gun, despite being a pistol and long gun lefty.  I have just learned to deal with it.  When it comes to shotguns I shot a reg right hand 870 for about 15yrs.  Also used a mossberg 930spx for 3gun.  But about 2.5yrs ago I picked up a Benelli M2 Max4 Left handed and man do I love that thing.  So much better working an actual left handed gun and the benelli system is excellent!
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Growing up i shot a Ithaca 37. Bottom eject pump gun, just had to switch to a left hand safety.

Now my son has that shotgun and I use a Beretta 687.

Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:09:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a keltec and ithaca I use for pumps left handed. my breakactions work either hand well too
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:58:05 PM EDT
[#6]
870 and Beretta.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 11:05:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Browning BPS , not a semi auto though.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 11:21:15 PM EDT
[#8]
A right handed 870. I don't see the point of getting a left handed shotgun.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 1:18:35 PM EDT
[#9]
As stated before, Browning BPS, ejects out of bottom, and then a Benelli SBEII left eject.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

this

just practice more
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 3:51:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

this

just practice more
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

just practice more

+1

Standard 870 works just fine.

For clay games, carry your shells on your right side, and use your right hand to grab a shell and slam it into the ejection port. Easy peasy. The crossbolt safety is also a non-issue; I just reach around the bottom of the trigger guard and press the safety with my middle finger. Easy.

Don't get caught up in having to buy a left-handed mirror image shotgun. Understand that you can still work the gun just as well from the left hand; you just have to learn how to do things differently than a righty.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 6:38:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll offer a differing opinion and perspective.  

While I am not left handed, a few of those who have taken lessons from me are.  If they are going to take improving their skills seriously, I encourage them to find a gun that fits, and can be further fitted to them.

Most "right handed" shotguns have cast in the stock for right handed shooting, which is counterproductive to leftys.  Some of the better semi autos (like Beretta and some Benellis) can be had in true left handed configuration, which places the bolt and gas expulsions on the side away from your face.  The cast of the stock is also placed appropriately, helping with gun fit and intuitive shooting at moving objects.

While a right handed gun can work "OK" for a lefty, it will not help you reach your full potential as a shotgunner.

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 6:44:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 8:36:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a left hand Benelli M2 that I wish I would have gotten in right hand and just switched the safety around. I like to see into the ejection port and I'd like a side saddle. Ideally I'd like a right hand receiver with a left hand stock.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 10:22:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 10:29:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Right handed guns, no problem. I actually like the visual on the chamber and the ability to palm rounds into it while maintaining a firing grip.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Super Black Eagle 2
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 3:16:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Funny that you say that. I borrowed a true lefty 11000 from a friend and could not get used to it.

I used shims to get cast on with my  Beretta's but they are right handed guns.

I left the safes on all my right handed guns because my sons use my guns and I don't want any confusion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a left hand Benelli M2 that I wish I would have gotten in right hand and just switched the safety around. I like to see into the ejection port and I'd like a side saddle. Ideally I'd like a right hand receiver with a left hand stock.

Funny that you say that. I borrowed a true lefty 11000 from a friend and could not get used to it.

I left the safes on all my right handed guns because my sons use my guns and I don't want any confusion.

Also I'm right handed/left eye dominant so it's easier for me to load right handed, and it's easy to see with it in your face!
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

+1

For clay games, carry your shells on your right side, and use your right hand to grab a shell and slam it into the ejection port. Easy peasy. The crossbolt safety is also a non-issue; I just reach around the bottom of the trigger guard and press the safety with my middle finger. Easy.

Don't get caught up in having to buy a left-handed mirror image shotgun. Understand that you can still work the gun just as well from the left hand; you just have to learn how to do things differently than a righty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

just practice more

+1

Or just buy a Mossberg, then you don't have to maneuver around the safety.  Or really re-learn or work around anything.  OP, I know you were looking for a semi but for pumps, the left-handed community keeps Mossberg in big business.

870s are nicer all around, but Mossbergs (500, 590, or 590A1) are completely ambi out of the box.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Left hand Benelli M2
Beretta Silver Pigeon with left hand wood.
Right hand 20 ga Benelli Nova
Right handed Beretta A400

You don't need a left hand action.  You do need a straight stock or cast set up for a left hander if your shotgun stock has cast-on/cast-off. The Italian guns and others have shim kits that take care of that.

ETA: On right hand guns I always have the safety switched over, it's my gun, no reason not to
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Keep in mind you can always get a left handed safety conversion for the 870 and 1100.  It's like a $15 part.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 5:35:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Due to some vision issues, I'm having to learn how to shoot long guns left handed after 35 years of shooting righty. (well, OK, 30-ish years, I guess I didn't shoot from birth) I'm also developing an interest in trap and skeet, especially trap at first, after going to do that a few times with a buddy who is into it. So I'm looking at shotguns now.          A general purpose gun though, not a specialized trap gun at this point.

What's out there in the world of left handed shotguns, specifically semiauto? I've seen that Remington makes (made?) a left handed 1100, and that's what I've been borrowing (a right handed one), so that may be what I'll look for. But are there others y'all would recommend?

I shoot a right handed gun just fine from the left shoulder, don't notice any issues (yet! knock on wood) with empties ejecting across my face....but it's a bit awkward loading right handed and then switching to lefty to shoulder the gun, thus my search....

View Quote

On your comment in red: Just load like LE is taught.  Hold the shotgun high up, using your left hand, in the crook of your left arm,  load shell in the ejection port on the right side of the gun with your right hand, right hand closes action, feed extra round into the tube with your right hand, then mount the shotgun and acquire target.    Works fine and in case you ever have to use a shotgun for self-defense it helps you keep the gun up in your field of vision to the threat or your surroundings (eyes . . muzzle .. . threat in a straight line).
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'll offer a differing opinion and perspective.  

While I am not left handed, a few of those who have taken lessons from me are.  If they are going to take improving their skills seriously, I encourage them to find a gun that fits, and can be further fitted to them.

Most "right handed" shotguns have cast in the stock for right handed shooting, which is counterproductive to leftys.  Some of the better semi autos (like Beretta and some Benellis) can be had in true left handed configuration, which places the bolt and gas expulsions on the side away from your face.  The cast of the stock is also placed appropriately, helping with gun fit and intuitive shooting at moving objects.

While a right handed gun can work "OK" for a lefty, it will not help you reach your full potential as a shotgunner.

View Quote

Good information, but those right hand better semi-autos you refer to have shim kits.  10 minutes with a screw driver, follow the manual, flip the shim kit over, and the cast is set up for a lefty.  There;s certainly nothing wrong with getting a shotgun with a left hand action, but you really don't need a left hand action.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 11:32:41 AM EDT
[#25]

Hey, it took me awhile to get back here but thanks for all the tips. I'm going to keep practicing before I buy anything, but so far I seem to be doing alright with my buddy's righty 1100.

I am looking at the lefty models from Remington and Benelli if I decide to go that way, but honestly I'd have to see/try out one in person to see if the left handed action makes a big difference.        

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#26]
OP, I'm left handed. As left handed as I can be... left eye dominant, throw left handed, write left handed, shoot left handed.

All of my firearms are right handed. Except for my 12 gauge pump shotgun. It's a lefty model Mossberg 500. I bought it because it was a little different and only a couple of dollars more than a right handed shotgun of the same model. I haven't shot it much but I like it. It's kind of cool knowing the empty shells eject to the left instead of to the right.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 3:09:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Browning BPS is fully ambi with tang safety and bottom eject.  The slide lock can be operated with your left index finger.

Right ejection is really a non-issue.  If anything, it's faster to port load with your off-hand.  Crossbolt safeties are the devil, but I never use them.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#28]
I do everything left-handed but write and play the guitar. I've never had a problem shooting any of my right-handed shotguns until recently. I'm bumping the safety with my left index finger on my Ithaca 37 if I cycle it quickly, due to the length it sticks out of the trigger guard. I'm for the first time actually considering installing a lefty safety in the darn thing.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:23:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I do everything left-handed but write and play the guitar. I've never had a problem shooting any of my right-handed shotguns until recently. I'm bumping the safety with my left index finger on my Ithaca 37 if I cycle it quickly, due to the length it sticks out of the trigger guard. I'm for the first time actually considering installing a lefty safety in the darn thing.
View Quote

Well, I'm not really familair with Ithacas, but why not just swap it? On most guns it's easy or a gunsmith charges like $20.  It's your gun.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:53:59 AM EDT
[#30]
I've read conflicting things on whether the safety is reversible or not. Some say 'yes, sort of' and others say that a $20 lefty safety is better.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:55:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Pretty much any of them.  1100, 870, 500, Ithaca 37, various double barrels and single shots.  Never had a problem, other than working right hand button safeties.  I tend to prefer tang safeties for this reason.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:25:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Right handed guns, no problem. I actually like the visual on the chamber and the ability to palm rounds into it while maintaining a firing grip.
View Quote

+1

Shoot everything left handed, but don't (won't) own any special "left handed" firearms. No reason to, we lefties can run everything just as well as any right hander. For shotguns, have found I do like the Mossberg 500/590 with their tang safities and bolt release behind the trigger guard like a Model 12.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#33]
I have bad vision in my right eye and had to learn to shoot left handed in recruit training and shoot long guns left handed. I shoot my Mossberg 500 tactical with no issues.

Link Posted: 12/6/2015 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Well, I went out and shot a couple more rounds of skeet today, again using my buddy's right handed 1100. I'm beginning to think that you guys that say don't worry about getting a left handed gun have a point. I just load right handed (like I've been used to for years) then switch the gun to my left shoulder to fire. I thought I would notice the empties flying across my face but I never even see them. (as long as I don't get hit in the face by one....knock on wood!)

Lesson learned, I guess.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Well, I went out and shot a couple more rounds of skeet today, again using my buddy's right handed 1100. I'm beginning to think that you guys that say don't worry about getting a left handed gun have a point. I just load right handed (like I've been used to for years) then switch the gun to my left shoulder to fire. I thought I would notice the empties flying across my face but I never even see them. (as long as I don't get hit in the face by one....knock on wood!)

Lesson learned, I guess.
View Quote

Yeah - if you notice the empties it means you're not concentrating enough on hitting something.   Right/left hand matters a lot more on guns that have a cast.   I would imagine the stock on a 1100 is neutral.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 1:47:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Benelli Montefeltro wood stocked for me when I finally got a semi auto. I've had a BPS for years and it's been just fine for me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 9:08:40 AM EDT
[#37]
My friend has a left handed SBE and a 1100.

for pumps the BPS is damned near perfect for southpaws.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 9:54:45 AM EDT
[#38]
I am a Southpaw but after 30+ years of shooting "right-handed" shotguns as a lefty, it is what I know. A FFL friend got a "left-hand 870" in his shop and called me because he was sure I would be interested. I handled the gun in his shop but it just felt weird to me YMMV
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I've read conflicting things on whether the safety is reversible or not. Some say 'yes, sort of' and others say that a $20 lefty safety is better.
View Quote
Ithaca 37 requires a left-hand conversion safety button. It is not an expensive part, but as I've read there are a few small parts/springs that need careful looking-after during the swap. I'm going to let my smith do the swap for my 37.

My shotgunning experience is 100% hunting oriented; I've never shot formal shotgun sports. My main pursuit is waterfowl, and I hunt out of a layout blind often, so to me being able to dis-engage the safety quickly and without contorting my hand is an important feature. I am a stickler for keeping the safety engaged until pointing at my quarry, and I still cringe as I hear other hunters with me disengage their safety before pushing out of their blind.

I used a Mossy 500 for years, and the top tang safety is the cat's meow (why this isn't a standard in the industry is beyond me). My current go-to shotgun is a left-hand Benelli M1 Super and I'm not going back to a righty gun.

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most guns that have adjustable drop and cast can be switched from left to right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top