Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2015 1:28:30 PM EDT
I was going to purchase a beretta 1301 Tac or 21" comp, but after hearing about their shell/bolt release fiasco and the massive jams it can cause, I've decided Benelli is probably the only way I am going to be able to get a stone cold reliable semi auto shotgun.

I can nab one for 1499.

I plan on adding the compliance parts and making it as it should be, with a 7 round mag tube and a collapsible stock.  Problem is this will put the overall cost north of 2k.

My question is for the owners or those who have used them.  Is this worth it?  I don't have a shotgun, and I'd like to change that.  From what I gather, this is the best thing going.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:40:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I picked up a used one on here not to long ago.  I've shot it in a Tom Givens / Rangemaster class and in a three day class for work.  

It came with a Mesa stock and I replaced that with a factory C-stock.  Don't be fooled, the LOP with the C-stock is still long, and the sights aren't really usable with the stock collapsed.  

It came with night sights, but they are unmarked and I don't know who made them.  In fiddling with them I stripped out the threads on the front sight post and plan on ordering a Meprolight replacement shortly.  

Other than my own stupidity I haven't had any issues whatsoever.  It patterns well with the factory modified choke. It will run any ammo I can feed it reliably.  I've shot reduced recoil, bird loads, game loads, slugs, etc, and haven't had the slightest hiccup.  

If you want pics of anything or have any questions just let me know.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I picked up a used one on here not to long ago.  I've shot it in a Tom Givens / Rangemaster class and in a three day class for work.  

It came with a Mesa stock and I replaced that with a factory C-stock.  Don't be fooled, the LOP with the C-stock is still long, and the sights aren't really usable with the stock collapsed.  

It came with night sights, but they are unmarked and I don't know who made them.  In fiddling with them I stripped out the threads on the front sight post and plan on ordering a Meprolight replacement shortly.  

Other than my own stupidity I haven't had any issues whatsoever.  It patterns well with the factory modified choke. It will run any ammo I can feed it reliably.  I've shot reduced recoil, bird loads, game loads, slugs, etc, and haven't had the slightest hiccup.  

View Quote

Kind of bummed to hear that about the stock, I figured the middle position would be perfect for me.

I may add a red dot at some point, so that may mitigate the stock issue, but still a bummer.

I would however love to see some pictures.....
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:48:54 PM EDT
[#3]
You absolutely need a M4 in your life. I bought one five or so years ago with the intention of buying a mag tube, collapsable stock, etc.. After shooting it a few times, I decided it was fine the way it was. The only think I have added is a Side-armor shell carrier to replace the top rail.

It will eat absolutely anything you want to feed it. Every so often, I take mine to trap courses with the guys. I'm not beating any scores, but I definitely have the most fun.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 9:41:10 PM EDT
[#4]
C-stock MIDDLE position is perfect (12" LOP).  You need an M4!  Life is short, do awesome shit.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:55:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't have a shotgun, and I'd like to change that.  From what I gather, this is the best thing going.  Thoughts?
View Quote

What do you plan to do with it? Do you want tactical or practical?

If you just want a cool tactical looking shotgun to impress your friends with then yes, the M4 is the coolest SG out there. Just know that its not all that great for anything other then tactical/SD type work. If that's all you want then the M4 is a great choice.

But If you want a practical, do it all shotgun that you can use for multiple purposes (clay shooting, hunting, 3 gun and self defense, etc.), then IMO the Benelli M2 with 21" VR barrel is the way to go. Just my $.02
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:17:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a M4.  It is a great piece and a part of my tactical equipment.

Add ons are the large charge handle and bolt release pad from GG&G, a surefire fore end, 7 round titanium tube and collapsible stock.  Basically the same as a H2O model that I would really like to have.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:18:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Defensive purposes is reason number one.  Frankly I wouldnt really have much other reason for a shotgun, hence why I've put it off so long.

Every weapon I own is setup to have a place in the defensive lineup.  Never got into 3 gun or other styles of shooting.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:11:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
C-stock MIDDLE position is perfect (12" LOP).  You need an M4!  Life is short, do awesome shit.

<a href="http://s921.photobucket.com/user/calviroman/media/M4S90/20140726_113855_zps8cbe7246.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad51/calviroman/M4S90/20140726_113855_zps8cbe7246.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s921.photobucket.com/user/calviroman/media/M4S90/IMG_20131219_164305_970_zps9f9c88bf.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad51/calviroman/M4S90/IMG_20131219_164305_970_zps9f9c88bf.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s921.photobucket.com/user/calviroman/media/M4S90/20140726_114057_zps1e611ab1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad51/calviroman/M4S90/20140726_114057_zps1e611ab1.jpg</a>

View Quote

How do you like the AVA light mount? I'm contemplating getting one. Which SF light is that? Any issues with recoil?
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#9]
My M4 has been pending on a Form 3 since March.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:30:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Defensive purposes is reason number one.  Frankly I wouldnt really have much other reason for a shotgun, hence why I've put it off so long.

Every weapon I own is setup to have a place in the defensive lineup.  Never got into 3 gun or other styles of shooting.
View Quote

Just be forewarned that this is a heavy shotgun.  Carriercomp and FFT both make titanium full length mag tubes and it's the next thing (after a front sight post) that I'll get for this.  This is replacing my 870 as a patrol shotgun and the 870 will go by the bed.  AVA Tactical makes that light mount and I've never heard a bad thing about it. It's just pricey.  If you're inclined to use an optic, anything will mount to the rail, and you can shorten the stock and still see the sight.  I've been looking at This RMR setup as well.  The Brits also use an Eotech on their L128A1s.  

FFT and Geissele make a hammer, FFT also makes a trigger and disconnector.

Anyways, here's the pics

About what my sight picture looks like with the stock collapsed

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you just want a cool tactical looking shotgun to impress your friends with then yes, the M4 is the coolest SG out there. Just know that its not all that great for anything other then tactical/SD type work. If that's all you want then the M4 is a great choice.

But If you want a practical, do it all shotgun that you can use for multiple purposes (clay shooting, hunting, 3 gun and self defense, etc.), then IMO the Benelli M2 with 21" VR barrel is the way to go. Just my $.02
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't have a shotgun, and I'd like to change that.  From what I gather, this is the best thing going.  Thoughts?

A "do all" shotgun like an M2 is a jack of all trades / master of none situation.  I have lots of guns, but my best shooting memories involve a shotgun.

I have Benellis (M1, 3 M4s, and a Cordoba), 4 Beretta O/Ss, and a sidelock SxS for upland game.  They all fill different roles.  I would never buy another M1/M2 not because it isn't a great quality gun, but because it doesn't excel in one role.  If you want a shotgun that you can bet your life on, get the M4.  There is no other defensive shotgun that comes close.  And if you run out of ammo you can be confident that using it as a club will not damage it.    

ETA - I really like the Ava Tactical light hardware vs. the Surefire forend for the M4.      

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:37:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A "do all" shotgun like an M2 is a jack of all trades / master of none situation.
View Quote

I actually agree. A 21" M2 is a wonderful gun but not a master at any one role or discipline (except maybe 3 gun?) but its damn good at all of them.

I fully get wanting a purpose built gun when the need, desire or just plan want justifies it but some of us aren't heavy shotgunners and really don't need or want multiply SGs for different purposes. I use to have an 870P, Beretta 391 and Ruger Red Label SC model and they all served more specific purposes but I gave the 870 to my son and sold the other 2. For me, I prefer having 1 quality SG that I can use for whatever SG need I may have and the M2 fits that role perfectly.

But in the OP's case, if SD is truly all he wants it for, you can't go wrong with the M4
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:45:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I suggest an M2.

The M2 can do everything the M4 can do that you actually *need* a shotgun to do. For example, it may not cycle the very lightest of the cheap bulk packs if you add weight to it (but it cycles the equally cheap 3 dram packs with complete reliability) and that's with a full length tube, rail, Aimpoint, mesa stock and side saddle.

The M4 can't do many of the things the M2 can do, such as swap out to a field barrel and go hunting. And it weighs a pound more. Take your favorite gun, and imagine shaving a full pound off of it. It doesn't sound like much, but it's a LOT.

Both the M4 and the M2 are 100% reliable with buckshot and slugs. You can trust your life to either.

However, the M2 lacks the tacticoolguy factor of the M4. If I wanted to get a shotgun to show off to friends and be like "This is what our military uses to open locked doors and scare people at checkpoints!" then I would get an M4.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Ugh, having a really tough time making this happen, tons of money for a shotgun.

I looked at M2's, but it looks like I'd end up spending at least 1300 to nab one of those, and barrels are absurdly expensive.

I'd love to have a multi purpose shotgun, but I figure with the removable chokes and a RDS, I'd at the very least be able to have fun with other types of shotgun shooting if I decided to go that route.

Just mulling it over, got approval from the S/O, but mentally its a tough bridge to cross.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I looked at M2's, but it looks like I'd end up spending at least 1300 to nab one of those, and barrels are absurdly expensive.
View Quote

Barrels are crazy stupid expensive but you don't need multiple barrels. The guns themselves aren't that bad. I paid $1100 for mine NIB from a dealer ~2 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 4:19:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How do you like the AVA light mount? I'm contemplating getting one. Which SF light is that? Any issues with recoil?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s921.photobucket.com/user/calviroman/media/M4S90/20140726_113855_zps8cbe7246.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad51/calviroman/M4S90/20140726_113855_zps8cbe7246.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s921.photobucket.com/user/calviroman/media/M4S90/IMG_20131219_164305_970_zps9f9c88bf.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad51/calviroman/M4S90/IMG_20131219_164305_970_zps9f9c88bf.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s921.photobucket.com/user/calviroman/media/M4S90/20140726_114057_zps1e611ab1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad51/calviroman/M4S90/20140726_114057_zps1e611ab1.jpg</a>

I really like it...over the years I've tried most of the possible M4 light mount solutions and at this time AVA is the best option.  In the pic is a SF 6P with a Malkoff M61 LED drop-in and Z59 cap.   No issues under recoil, but I use a snap ring on the tailcap as insurance
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I was not suggesting the M2 as a cheaper alternative to the M4. I was suggesting it as a superior alternative.

It can do everything you need a shotgun to do as well as the M4 or better (barrels, etc.), and it weighs a pound less.

The only reason to buy an M4 is tacticoolness, or if you already own a metric butt ton of really light target loads and absolutely must shoot them all with 100% reliability.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 11:46:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't mean to hijack but no one has mentioned recoil.  I have an M1 tactical, no bells or whistles on it but it kicks hard.  I was shooting 3" buck last time I was at the range as well as 2 3/4" Remington slugs, but wow.  Must have been an off day.  Don't remember my coach gun or 870 being that bad.

How do the pistol grip M1, M2 & M4 compare as far as recoil?
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 1:12:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Don't mean to hijack but no one has mentioned recoil.  I have an M1 tactical, no bells or whistles on it but it kicks hard.  I was shooting 3" buck last time I was at the range as well as 2 3/4" Remington slugs, but wow.  Must have been an off day.  Don't remember my coach gun or 870 being that bad.

View Quote

I can't tell you how "hard" the M2 kicks because I'm a man.

In all seriousness, I tried shooting the M2 without the gel pad it came with when I got the mesa stock. I was like, "Whoah...since when did this thing kick so hard. So I ordered their limbsaver pad and the problem went away. I didn't mind the recoil, but it was suddenly hard to make quick follow up shots.

The M4 is better, recoil wise, so that's another plus for it I hadn't considered. But those Comfortech gel pads, wow. The limbsaver is pretty kickass too.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

In all seriousness, I tried shooting the M2 without the gel pad it came with when I got the mesa stock. I was like, "Whoah...since when did this thing kick so hard. So I ordered their limbsaver pad and the problem went away. I didn't mind the recoil, but it was suddenly hard to make quick follow up shots.

The M4 is better, recoil wise, so that's another plus for it I hadn't considered. But those Comfortech gel pads, wow. The limbsaver is pretty kickass too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, I thought that too but it got the better of me.

What kind of recoil pad fits on the m1 tactical pistol grip stock?
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 12:26:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure, but call Benelli, maybe their new comfortech gel pad will fit that stock. If so, you're in luck! If not, get a mesa tactical with a limbsaver pad. Those are about as good.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 3:48:41 AM EDT
[#22]
The Ava Tactical Light mount is by far the best solution for mounting a light to the M4. You also get a bonus of getting a limited rotation QD front sling mount too. The units certainly are pricy, but when you compare them to the other systems out there, they're in the same price point. The major benefit is it doesn't add a ton of shit onto an already heavy shotgun. Consider it to be the minimalist approach to mounting a light.

Full disclosure, I assisted Ava Tactical with the development of the mount. I'm not a CAD user, so my contributions were merely operations and real world use. We built the mount with the best materials (7075 aluminum) and the best hardware (torx fasteners.) I don't get any money from the company. Just a happy end user.

I mate a Surefire Outdoorsman body and tailcap to a 500 lumen Surefire Scout light head for my builds.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 6:31:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Kind of bummed to hear that about the stock, I figured the middle position would be perfect for me.

I may add a red dot at some point, so that may mitigate the stock issue, but still a bummer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Middle position is perfect for an optic or sight acquisition with a rock solid cheek weld for me. Is perfect for a AimPoint Micro or RMR
I mounted a ScalarWorks rail and an RMR on mine

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Best shotgun I've ever owned!  It'll eat anything I feed it.  My only big issue, like all shotguns, they get very heavy.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My only big issue, like all shotguns, they get very heavy.
View Quote

That's what the M2 is for.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I have, the 21".  Benelli thinks their barrels are made out of gold, though, for what the aftermarket one cost (came with a 26", needed wanted the 21" for a good turkey gun).

You can a lightly used M2 for $800-ish, get the 21" bbl for $400, and have a nearly do-it-all scattergun.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:05:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I have the Benelli M4 in the M1014 configuration, and it is a sweet gun that is totally worth it.

Is it over engineered? Yea, probably. But it's just perfectly awesome.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:43:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Well,
those looking for the benelli m4 entry, Botach has a couplee in stock. They're display models, 99%, at $1795.
Coudln't resist and had to get one. Hell I don't shoot any of my shotguns so I know this is going to sit there.
But its' so tactical.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 12:30:40 AM EDT
[#29]
I love my circa 1990 M3.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top