Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2015 4:42:27 PM EDT
Wasn't sure if this on the gunsmithing forum was the best place

But this IS shotguns, so here it is.  

What I found on Google about this shotgun:  

This is a slide-action Model 25 12 Gauge made by the Union Firearms Company for John Smyth company of Chicago, Ill. The date of manufactor is March of 1907 as can be seen on bottom of the reciever.This is the 25A model which identifies it as the rare trap model. It has an upgraded Damascus barrel of 30 inches with the optional solid bead. This gun has a unique double trigger. The front trigger cocked and decocked an internal firing pin and the back trigger fired the gun. This gun is marked on the right side (made for John Smyth)and the pump release on the right side of the reciever. Only 17,000 were ever produced and less than 500 with Damascus barrels and trap configurations. 12 gauge.
View Quote

The Union Firearms Company produced essentially two very closely related models, the Model 24 and the Model 50, with several grades of each one. For example, there was a trap version and a Peerless version. The Standard Encyclopedia. . . notes that there were about "17,000 of all models combined. . .
View Quote

Union Fire Arms Company was incorporated in Toledo, OH in 1902 by George B. Colton, and was successor to Colton Manufacturing Company (1894-1902) who made side by side double barrels for Sears, Roebuck and Company.

Union Fire Arms Company continued supplying Sears and others with double barrels under the names Union Arms Company (ca.1910), Illinois Arms Company (Sears) and Bee Bee Arms Company among others. They also manufactured single barrel guns between 1905 and 1910.

The Model 24 Slide Action gun and the Model 25A Trap version were produced from 1902 to 1913, with some 17,000 being made.

This gun had a unique double trigger system. The front Trigger cocked and de-cocked an internal firing pin while the back trigger fired the gun. Both fluid steel and Damascus barrels were available.

One serious drawback was that the slide, on the ejection stroke, extended over the wrist of the stock and could hit the shooters thumb knuckle causing injury. This defect was corrected by a 1907 redesign.

Union Fire Arms Company was purchased by Ithaca Gun Company in 1913.
View Quote

First challenge was undoing the previous 'repairs.  The grip was was wrapped in several yards of what I believe was 50 year old friction tape.  If I recall correctly, I removed three screws, two bolts and........ BIG framing nail.   :shock:  :lol:

Another notch in the grip, a washer and somehow they peened  the end of the nail pretty solidly against the washer.

Pictures of stock repairs in progress.

As the stock was already notched in a couple of places, I used that access to place new and longer screws before covering them.  Also ran screws in from the inletting where they wouldn't be seen.

Where there had already been screws on the surface, I replaced these with longer screws and later put a plug over them.

When it was all glued and screwed, a couple layers of electrical tape, the clamped with bicycle inner tubes.  

The buttplate was broken and missing a large section.
Removed the remaining piece(s) and put wax paper under it.  Epoxied the broken bits back together, then made a dam to hold the dyed epoxy & flocking mix.

Reassembled:  

1) All metal cleaned with electrolysis or soaking in solvent.
2) After seeing how poorly the color match was on the replacement piece was on the grip, I used ebony on the comb.  Thought it would make a nice detail also.
3) Shoulda, coulda, oughta have repaired the bit around the tang.  When I started, I didn't think it would come out this well.  Really bugging me now.
4) Recutting the checkering was a bit odd.  My checkering has gotten good enough that following crooked and oddly spaced lines was a challenge.
5) When I started, the barrel was loose on the action.  See that spanner nut on the barrel?  Once all the rust & gunk was cleaned up, it tightened up nicely to the action and the barrel is now firmly mounted.
6) Bedded the tangs with epoxy.  As you can see most of the cracks started there when the stock was first broken
7) Only a couple of light coats of finish on the buttstock.  Enough to bring out the grain and provide some protection.  
8) Could have done a lot more renovation, but my goal was not to make it look new.  

Don't expect the future owner to shoot it a lot, but it should hold up to a reasonable amount of use.  

Some pictures of the larger metal pieces just before they went into the electrolysis tank.  Trigger assembly was cleaned using solvent.

A reply from another forum:

Posted by "Researcher":

From an undated Union Fire Arms Co. catalogue --

From 1908 Sears, Roebuck & Co. catalogue --

From 1904 --

From 1906 --

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I am liking this. Nice work so far.

I have got to believe with the extreme pistol grip on that stock that many of them broke in a similar way as yours did

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice work!
Making something from nothing takes some skill, good job.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am liking this. Nice work so far.

I have got to believe with the extreme pistol grip on that stock that many of them broke in a similar way as yours did

View Quote

So far?  

It's done!  
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Job well done.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 10:21:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow - Excellent job reviving that gun.  I love threads like this.

Link Posted: 6/23/2015 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Very interesting (and nice work putting it back together).

I will have to say that is the first time I have seen one of those Union Firearms Company guns in real life
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:26:57 AM EDT
[#7]
It's absolutely amazing what you've done with that. I like repairing old guns myself,
when I get the opportunity. I would've either scrapped that one or maybe made a
wall-hanger of it.

You, Sir, are far more ambitious and skilled than I am! Truly impressive.
Thanks for sharing, and I'll be looking forward to more updates in this thread.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:31:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:29:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice work, I like the buttplate repair.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:31:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks great.

I enjoy seeing those older guns
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for sharing, and I'll be looking forward to more updates in this thread.
View Quote

My bad.

I never looked in again!  

No more updates, other then listing it on Gunbroker.  

It was a fun project that should keep it around for another generation or two.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nice work, I like the buttplate repair.
View Quote

Thank you.

I forgot to mention, I place a piece of waxpaper under the plate when doing the repair, so it can still be removed from the stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top