Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2015 12:39:46 PM EDT
The standard Saiga 12 Sporter is all black plastic. Many of us have see this at the LGS or Fun Show. Since I have little skill/capabilities to convert it from sport to AK configuration, I thought I would at least make my sport look better. Found this stock set online on sale.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:14:37 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't need much in the way of skill. Can you operate a drill?

1. Unscrew stock
2. Secure hammer spring arms
3. Drill out bottom-rear two recessed rivets
4. Remove internals
5. Drill out 3 trigger guard rivets

Install a bolt-on trigger guard from Carolina Shooters Supply link

Press in 3/16" black nylon hole plugs for the bottom-rear rivet holes.

You can then install the standard US-made AK fcg parts as you're putting the old internals in (minus the saiga fcg of course). Slap on a US made stock, pistol grip, and handguard and you're done!

It was literally the easiest gun plumbing I've ever done. The hardest part was reinstalling the bolt-hold-open spring, but there's tutorials online which make it easy.

Check out the 2 videos from Carolina Shooters Supply,  it's really simple.
link

ETA: I can't in good conscience recommend buying some gussied up monte carlo for your Saiga.  It's an AK, it needs AK furniture. It WANTS AK furniture.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:23:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I like it!
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I was apprehensive to do mine at first. It is very easy to do and makes a world of difference. I went with the archangel stock.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe I will pick up another saiga 12 and give it a try. Guess I'll start looking at collecting the right parts.

For now I like to be different from everyone else with their conversion...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top