Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2015 12:57:22 AM EDT
I just purchased an 870 turkey with a 21 inch barrel and the receiver holes are tapped/drilled to far to the left and the flat on top of the receiver is cut all sorts .
Pics:

Follow the vent rib on the barrel and you will see the flat is cut crooked. Yes I did check the barrel and the barrel and rib are cut accurately.

and one with extended lines to see how bad it is offset.

WTF!

I am not sure what to do about this. I swore I would never buy another remington after having issues with a 700 but I really wanted this gun. The barrel length is a nice sweet spot in my opinion.

What should I do? It appears the receiver and barrel are in line but the receiver externally is butchered.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 1:06:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks fine to me.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 1:13:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks fine to me.
View Quote

Seriously?

The flats on the receiver are pointing one direction and the barrel pointing another.

The green lines and the red lines should be running parallel to each other, not crossing.

Plus the receiver is tapped way far to the left. Trying to mount a base and red dot (if I wanted) would be a pain to zero.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 6:40:42 AM EDT
[#3]
OP,

Did you contact Remington?
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 6:47:09 AM EDT
[#4]
In your first photo they are offset to the right.

And in the second they are offset to the left.

Stop being so crooked.

ETA- I now see you were using some kind of mirroring because the ejection port is also on opposite sides.

I recommend you cut the gun in half.

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 7:03:33 AM EDT
[#5]
One picture is of it point in away and another pointing forward.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 7:04:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OP,

Did you contact Remington?
View Quote

Calling today
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 7:14:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Good luck, I will never buy another Remington.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 7:39:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't have high hopes. I won't by Rem again either.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:16:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree, something is wonky about that gun. Definitely call Remington and e-mail them the pics. I believe they will make it right but it may be a bit of a hastle.

The rib-v-receiver flat alignment may or may not be a real issue of function or Turkey distance accuracy as there often seems to be a bit of slop between the barrel to receiver fit on 870s. However, the taps for the mount look like they won't even work unless you use only two screws to hold it on.

Good luck and keep us informed with regards to a resolution.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:59:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks like you got a Monday gun.  

My buddy bought a 14" 460 X-frame Revolver from S&W PC and the clamshell muzzle brake was very crooked on it.  

He is very OCD about his stuff and called them they said it was "torqued to spec."  He had to send it back twice.  After talking to the head gunsmith and sending it directly to his attention.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:10:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Glad you caught it. Imagine trying to sight in an optic.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:17:51 AM EDT
[#12]
my 870 has two beads and one of them is off center. but I figured out how to properly hold and have killed a few with it
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 10:18:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

I had my last customer experience with those cunts.

FR
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#14]
It probably would not effect things that much on a shotgun in all reality, but I agree that is shitty quality control at least.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#15]
They want it back to look at and will decide if it needs to be repaired. 4 week quote. We will we what happens.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

They want it back to look at and will decide if it needs to be repaired. 4 week quote. We will we what happens.
View Quote

Here's how I got satisfaction:

Round about 19 and 92 or so, I bought a 7600 30-06 pump.

Took it to the range to zero it for deer season and when I fired the first round, the action flew open.

WTF? I'd shot plenty of 760s and that never happened.

Contacted Remington and after sending it to them  they tell me there's nothing wrong with it. They tell me "that's for quick follow up shots."

I tell them:

"You're full of shit, and if I don't get a full refund for this POS, I will wear it on a sling to every gun show for the rest of my life with a flag sign that says "Remington shoved this rifle up my ass."

Got a check in a week.

Fuck those guys.

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 2:21:28 PM EDT
[#17]
So Remington won't send me a label. They literally send a ups driver to pick it up and label it. WTF is this. I have shipped guns to DD, SIG, S&W, etc and they email me a label so I can ship it when I am not working. I work during the week...you know like normal people. I am about to just sell this thing and be done with it. I honestly can't take a day off work and hope a UPS driver shows up. Starting to get irritated.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:40:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
In your first photo they are offset to the right.

And in the second they are offset to the left.

Stop being so crooked.

ETA- I now see you were using some kind of mirroring because the ejection port is also on opposite sides.

I recommend you cut the gun in half.
View Quote

Lol, it's pointed AT you in the first pic, and AWAY from you in the second. No mirroring, and offset it the same in regards to centerline either way.
For instance if a gun with an ejection port on the right is pointed at you, it is to YOUR LEFT from your vantage point. The guy pointing it at you, it is to HIS RIGHT
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 4:43:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Took it to the range to zero it for deer season and when I fired the first round, the action flew open.

Contacted Remington and after sending it to them  they tell me there's nothing wrong with it. They tell me "that's for quick follow up shots."

I tell them:

"You're full of shit, and if I don't get a full refund for this POS, I will wear it on a sling to every gun show for the rest of my life with a flag sign that says "Remington shoved this rifle up my ass."

Got a check in a week.

Fuck those guys.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tell them:

Got a check in a week.

Fuck those guys.

That made me laugh so hard that I literally coughed up beer. Good on you.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:53:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Well this should be fun. Shotgun is do back tomorrow and they said they aligned the barrel with the receiver because the barrel was misaligned. I asked about the holes in the receiver and they said thy were straight. thy need to pull their cross-eyed employees off the line I guess.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#21]
OP

I was seriously thinking about getting this model and now I am having second thoughts.

How much did it run you?

One reason I am thinking about it, is like you the barrel is a sweet spot and the receiver is drilled and taped but it looks like those wouldn't be of any use.

Hopefully they got their crap together.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:11:34 PM EDT
[#22]
It seems me back 370. I will look it over tomorrow and then call customer service and speak to manager. I am going to ask for it to be repaired within 7 days or I want my money back because their product suck balls.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:14:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Also, to be honest with you, I wouldn't recommend anyone by any remingron product ever. They sucked back a couple years ago and it only seems to have gotten worse.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#24]
alright well here is the report after looking over the shotgun when I got it back. I am a bit confused on what they did. It looks better than before but not sure how. They did not replace anything they said. The note said the realigned the barrel with the receiver. here are pic similar to the pictures in the original post.

As you can see the flat of the receiver is more in line with the barrel than before. And while the holes in the receiver for mounting a base to are noticeably not centered they seem closer in line with the barrel. Maybe the flat is just machined a ver small amount off to the side but the holes are drilled closer to center.

So my question is how did they align the barrel? I do not see anything out of the ordinary when I pull the barrel and look things over. What do you all think? Good to go?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I am not sure how you align the barrel.  When you remove and install it, does it always go back into the same place?  Perhaps they aligned it by giving you a new barrel that matched the receiver better.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:55:39 PM EDT
[#26]
I pulled the barrel 3 times and it lines up the same each time and it is the same barrwl. I put a mark on the underside of the barrel to see if it was the same when I got back. The barrelbhas the same mark. I have no idea what they did. I did notice the barrel was a bit loose and required a little more turning on the mag cap to snug it up
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:09:25 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, me neither. The last express I had was a disaster.    

Link Posted: 5/31/2015 9:32:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Well I took the 870 to the range today to shoot some slugs to see how it would perform. I planned on calling remington again on Monday to have them fix the receiver holes but I may not. I shot 20 slugs today. nothing fancy just remington and federal slugs. I was pleasantly surprised. I put it in a lead sled to find the true accuracy and I was hitting center of target every single time. I literally mean center X every shot from the sled at 25 yards. Off hand I was holding a 4 - 5 inch group.

I did have two no primer strikes. these were shots 2 and 3. First shot went boom and then 2 and 3 were click with zero primer strikes. No dent at all. I do not remember if I had to unlock the slide to withdraw the shell so I am not sure if it was me not having the gun fully in battery or if the firing pin still had some crud from the factory. I did not disassemble and clean the bolt since I have had it. So it is also likely that some crud was still in there. Every shot after that was successful and dead on.

I still am not sure how they "Aligned" the barrel but it matches up much better. I still am put off by the receiver drilled holes but I am afraid that if I send it in either they will do nothing again, in which case I am down a gun for a couple weeks, or they will actually fix the receiver (replace it) but I may not achieve the same groups, The bead on this gun is dead on at 25 yards. I am leaning toward just keeping but would like to get feedback. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#29]
If it was rifle I would not accept it even after their tweaking, but it is a shotgun. I understand that appearance may bother you, but if it shoots, it shoots. It's a shotgun, not a precision rifle. I wish they would have given you some detail on what exactly they did, I'm very interested. Is it shimmed on the inside of the receiver where the barrel goes or anything?
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:15:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I will take a picture tomorrow night when I clean it and pull the barrel. As far as i can see they did nothing but it is somehow more in line than before.

I ten to free with you though. It is a shotgun and it is putting slugs where I want them and I assume will put pellets where I want them so I might a well just leave it as since it looks a bit better than before.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:43:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If it was rifle I would not accept it even after their tweaking, but it is a shotgun. I understand that appearance may bother you, but if it shoots, it shoots. It's a shotgun, not a precision rifle.
View Quote

As someone who has lost count of how many 870s I've owned... that is unacceptable of Remington. That 870 should have never left the factory, and I would demand a replacement.

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#32]
IMO that is what you get with a $300 870 express.  It's an entry level shotgun and I expect that for something that price.  I have many of them and they get used a lot and never cleaned.  Now if I bought a Wingmaster I'd be pissed but you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 10:30:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Well Remington doesn't sound like they care much about my concerns about the receiver. I called again and asked if I could send in pictures and was basically told to pound sand. They looked up the information from when it was in last and basically recited that they didn't perceive the receiver holes to be misaligned. I can send it in but it will likely come back with nothing fixed. So now I am going over this thing with a fine tooth comb and have a few questions. I have fired exactly 20 slugs from this gun and had some questions about some chamber peening and gouges/scratches. I also had question about receiver specs.

First, here is a picture of some gouging and scratches from 20 slugs being fired.

All the stuff that is circled is metal actually being displaced and peened/gouged. The red lines indicate scratches. Is this normal wear on this gun for so few rounds?

Second, here is a picture of the receiver. Are the dimensions supposed to be different on each side or is it supposed to mirror one another?

As you can see it is crooked. Not sure if normal or not, and if not, is it the cause for crappy drilling.....

And for those that say I am looking too much into the defects....Yes, yes I am. I do not appreciate spending my hard earned money on a product that is F%$@ed from the get go to send it in for repairs to have it come back a little less F&%$ed but still F&%$ed non the less.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 11:33:05 AM EDT
[#34]
The canted receiver dimensions would annoy me but they likely won't affect the function of the gun.

You need to remember, you bought the Express model and not the Wingmaster.  The Express is a bottom end pump by Remington using the standard 870 design but without the final hand fit & finish the Wingmaster & Police models get.  The price reflects this lack of hand fitting.  The parts should be expected to be rougher and should be expected to peen and wear together as the gun is fit through use vs at the factory.  

If you really don't like these compromises, I'd suggest selling it and spending a bit more on a Wingmaster.  Bear in mind, if any of the issues you've noted cause an actual function problem I'd expect that to be fixed by Remington.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 8:09:12 PM EDT
[#35]
The slight peening of the metal is normal for the 870 design, even the Chinese made copies do that.
The scratching of the locking lug area of the barrel is simply corrected by LIGHTLY rounding and smoothing of the top edge of the bolt locking lug block.
Just use a fine stone to lightly round and polish the sharp edge of the bolt's lug and possibly lightly de-burr the locking lug notch in the barrel extension.
Again, do this LIGHTLY.
This is something that just shooting the gun will correct, but in all 870's you will see scratching and rub marks there.

The peening of the edges around the chamber is just where the bolt is contacting the barrel.  This is normal.

As for the receiver shape, again, you bought the bottom of the Remington line when you bought an Express.
It was introduced in order to at least be in the ball park to compete against the much cheaper to make cast aluminum Mossberg and foreign made guns from China and Turkey.
In order to make a steel receiver gun with minimal stamped parts at a price that can compete some things like this will be seen.

The holes are not correct to my eye and personally, I'd call Remington and ask to speak to a supervisor and talk to him about this.
Unless Remington has totally collapsed I'm sure they will have you send it back, and they should send you a shipping label.

Remember, the phone people are nothing more then lowly paid phone people who usually don't know much.
Give Remington another call and a chance to make this right.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 10:08:43 PM EDT
[#36]
I agree about the quality you get with the express. It just gets exaggerated in my eyes when everything compounds. I did give Remington another chance by calling again. I did talk to a supervisor and got the run around. I was told he can't do much because he doesn't service them. The only way it would be corrected is if the gunsmith who looks at it sees the "problem" as a problem. He even refused to let me email him pictures. He said since the notes in the system were saying it was fine, that it is likely nothing will change if I send it again. I understand it is an express but it is honestly the crappiest express I ever seen. I can accept some of the wear marks but it bothers me that the receiver is messed up. But since there is nothing I can do about it I am just going to keep and shoot it I guess.

Quoted:
The slight peening of the metal is normal for the 870 design, even the Chinese made copies do that.
The scratching of the locking lug area of the barrel is simply corrected by LIGHTLY rounding and smoothing of the top edge of the bolt locking lug block.
Just use a fine stone to lightly round and polish the sharp edge of the bolt's lug and possibly lightly de-burr the locking lug notch in the barrel extension.
Again, do this LIGHTLY.
This is something that just shooting the gun will correct, but in all 870's you will see scratching and rub marks there.

The peening of the edges around the chamber is just where the bolt is contacting the barrel.  This is normal.

As for the receiver shape, again, you bought the bottom of the Remington line when you bought an Express.
It was introduced in order to at least be in the ball park to compete against the much cheaper to make cast aluminum Mossberg and foreign made guns from China and Turkey.
In order to make a steel receiver gun with minimal stamped parts at a price that can compete some things like this will be seen.

The holes are not correct to my eye and personally, I'd call Remington and ask to speak to a supervisor and talk to him about this.
Unless Remington has totally collapsed I'm sure they will have you send it back, and they should send you a shipping label.

Remember, the phone people are nothing more then lowly paid phone people who usually don't know much.
Give Remington another call and a chance to make this right.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 11:48:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I agree about the quality you get with the express. It just gets exaggerated in my eyes when everything compounds. I did give Remington another chance by calling again. I did talk to a supervisor and got the run around. I was told he can't do much because he doesn't service them. The only way it would be corrected is if the gunsmith who looks at it sees the "problem" as a problem. He even refused to let me email him pictures. He said since the notes in the system were saying it was fine, that it is likely nothing will change if I send it again. I understand it is an express but it is honestly the crappiest express I ever seen. I can accept some of the wear marks but it bothers me that the receiver is messed up. But since there is nothing I can do about it I am just going to keep and shoot it I guess.
View Quote

Keep calling and keep on Remington. Express or not, the receiver is totally fucked where they drilled & tapped. It is not acceptable for an 870.

Plus call centers have different sups in general. If supervisor #1 doesn't listen, then keep going to #2, #3 etc.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Just a quick update for those who say to call and speak to another supervisor. I tried one more time and received the same quality service as before. Asked for a supervisor and was told the notes say the receiver is drilled correctly and that I am probably not seeing it right. Like I said it seems to shoot fine. It is one ugly example of an 870 but seems to work so I will keep it since no one at Remington will listen. Plus I don't like basically being called a liar when it is obvious to anyone who has eyes. I would rather not have to talk with anyone there again. I am sure Remington still puts out a decent gun but I won't buy another Remington. It is not
because the receiver is machined a bit off but instead is because of the service I received from 2 different supervisors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top