Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Remington 870 Riot Gun update.

They tell me there is one more shipment to come in. So far we have received close to 150 more Police Mags the expected. We have now shipped a lot of 870 Magnums to cover the Wingmaster orders. We have Police Mags left but still need a lot of Wingmasters to fill orders. I will know more when the next shipment comes in.
View Quote

Jesus, it sounds like he getting strung along, too.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:03:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I received my Wingmaster after waiting since 05/30/15 or so. I estimate its overall condition is just above fair. I am a well satisfied customer given the price/product and would do business with Mark again. Hope this helps... Btw, the barrel dated to 1977.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:31:34 PM EDT
[#3]
My brother received the magnums instead of the wing masters. My question is are these police magnums?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:21:33 PM EDT
[#4]
If they are Police Magnums it would say so on the receiver.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Then what is a 870 magnum. Google turns up little
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Placed an order on 06/25/2015 for 18", wood stock, 2" extension, rifle sights and was told that they have it on hands and it will be delivered soon.
One month later, they don't have 18" anymore and looks like they lost my order. Bummer!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:28:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It sounds like an 870 Wingmaster Magnum.  In other words, an 870 Wingmaster that can take 3" shells.  Does it say Wingmaster anywhere on the side?  Is it blued?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:12:58 PM EDT
[#8]
It doesn't say wingmaster at all and is blued also has sling swivels. Rifle sights 20 something inch barrel. Its weird
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It doesn't say wingmaster at all and is blued also has sling swivels. Rifle sights 20 something inch barrel. Its weird
View Quote

Call Remington, and give them the serial numbers, and they will tell you exactly what you have, and when they were made.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:12:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Remember cops were ordering 870s long before they were ever labeled Police Magnum.   I think they were mostly wingmasters.  However for a certain period of time there was a parked model capable of shooting magnums and it was commonly ordered by police dept, however it too wasn't marked police.

Are 870s that hard to find or do people want a gun with LE history?  I have a wingmaster 870 in 95% plus condition with the flexi tab upgraded detailed at the link and I think I would have a real hard time getting $300 for it at a local show.

http://guntrainingillinois.blogspot.com/2011/07/remington-870-shell-lifter-new-vs-old.html
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:57:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Cheap 870s are harder to find.  
A local dealer occasionally gets in older 870 and 1100s and I've bought a half dozen for $200-$225.  I'll buy all I can find at that price.
Another local shop will get beat up 870 Expresses and throw the rough stocks away and the sell action for $150, barrel for $100.
Old 870s are better build quality than the newer Express models.

I wanted a couple of these Wingmasters for SBS projects.  Pretty disappointing seeing how long its taken so far...
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Cheap 870s are harder to find.  
A local dealer occasionally gets in older 870 and 1100s and I've bought a half dozen for $200-$225.  I'll buy all I can find at that price.
Another local shop will get beat up 870 Expresses and throw the rough stocks away and the sell action for $150, barrel for $100.
Old 870s are better build quality than the newer Express models.

I wanted a couple of these Wingmasters for SBS projects.  Pretty disappointing seeing how long its taken so far...
View Quote

i was going to sbs the wingmaster i ordered and have it rust blued and get some nice wood for it, but the order was lost.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:55:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Misery loves company, I was thinking I was the only one that had issues.  I should have realized it probably wouldn't go well when he sent me an email asking for my credit card information when just like 13 minutes before that I had called and given it to him.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:45:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Misery loves company, I was thinking I was the only one that had issues.  I should have realized it probably wouldn't go well when he sent me an email asking for my credit card information when just like 13 minutes before that I had called and given it to him.

View Quote

He asked for my info including the FFL to ship to more than once. I supplied it as a PDF attachment every time, all of our communication was through email. I have a hard time believing he had no record of our communication including the order info.  He really needs a real storefront.  Him telling me to wait for another shipment to arrive after waiting almost three months already just pisses me off, especially when he put on his website that he shipped Police Magnums in place of Wingmasters in order to fill outstanding Wingmaster orders. If you fuck up you need to do something to make it right and retain the customer and he failed in getting my future business.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does it look like this?

I just picked up this one on GB, Its parkerized with with rifle sights. From what I've read online these came before Remington starting marking the receivers as Police Magnum, internally they are the same.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:16:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah he gave me some bs about mine was going to be the next to ship when I asked to cancel, no apologize or trying to see if he could make it right. I'm not saying he needed to make it right, just went from a scenario I could have went away happy and repeat business  or as happened will not attempt to do business with him again
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 9:22:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like Mark is trying to do right... He thought he was supposed to be getting more of a firearm in shipment than he did.  When he didn't, he said you're next on the list.  You were getting a good price from a good guy, but you didn't get the gun quite as fast as you'd like, so you complain about bad business practices.  Sounds like a personal issue.  I'm sure Mark would apologize personally if you were talking to him instead of talking crap on a board... My only relationship is a purchaser of a Glock 21 and just recently a Police Mag, and I have received great service.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 11:56:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't have a dog in this, but I've been following this because I like police-style shotguns and I like shotgun pron.  So this is just an observation from the peanut gallery:

Summit Gun has been around for quite a while and has earned a reputation of being a solid dealer.  However, as far as I can tell, it's a one man operation.  When I saw that he was getting hundreds of shotguns and was taking pre-orders on the whole lot, I thought

I have to believe that if he ever gets another huge group of guns for a sale that he'll handle it differently somehow (releasing the lot in smaller batches, not taking pre-orders, or both).  It looks like the vast majority got good guns at a really good price.... although the prevalence of 20" barrels seems a little odd to me.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I have seen this time and time again with any police trade in. Officers are normally given first choice of guns to be sold and at cost sold to summit,say $125.00  even if they
do not want it a family member or a buddy does. So Summit wins bid for 1K guns and after officer sales it can be half or less amount shipped,unless they have a contract that
says for x amount of guns. it is always better to have guns in stock before you tell customers what may be coming soon.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#20]

The last shipment is in. There will not be enough Wingmasters and to many Police Mags. Sorry, I am trying to get more to fill all the orders waiting.  
View Quote

Guess it's time to finally move on from this one...
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 10:55:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I wouldn't say I'm bad mouthing him, just disappointed how it all worked out..... I guess him "bs"ing me could be considered bad mouthing but considering that what it was I'm not really sure how?  I even directed him to these thread before putting the order in, and it was bs for him to say next shipment because the email prior where I asked about if it would be charges soon due to my credit card being changed he said I would have had mine if I would have been okay with synthetic stock..... he clearly thought I had order magnums when I had order three WM, I informed him that every picture I've seen on here of a WM was with wood furniture which I requested and he never responded although he said he would later that day, so then when I write again asking to cancel it just so happens mine was shipping next?  Sorry that has bs written all over it.

I had a bad experience my first time meaning I won't try again, you've had good experiences.... awesome I'm happy for you
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 1:18:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sounds like Mark is trying to do right... He thought he was supposed to be getting more of a firearm in shipment than he did.  When he didn't, he said you're next on the list.  You were getting a good price from a good guy, but you didn't get the gun quite as fast as you'd like, so you complain about bad business practices.  Sounds like a personal issue.  I'm sure Mark would apologize personally if you were talking to him instead of talking crap on a board... My only relationship is a purchaser of a Glock 21 and just recently a Police Mag, and I have received great service.  
View Quote

I didn't get the gun I ordered at all. No "sorry I goofed and you're next up if you're still interested" or "how about a Police Magnum for the Wingmaster price" or "I'll cover the shipping if you're still interested."  Hell, I didn't get an apology at all, just "how can I fix it if I don't have guns?"  But you did have some guns.  I have talked to him personally, there are 19 messages between the two of us in my email.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 1:01:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The last shipment is in. There will not be enough Wingmasters and to many Police Mags. Sorry, I am trying to get more to fill all the orders waiting.  

I spoke too soon.  My 3 shipped on the Monday and were delivered on Wednesday
I broke my foot a couple weeks ago and have been nursing it, so I probably won't be able to pick them up for a week or two.
The dealer did say one looked pretty good and the other 2 looked okay-ish.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#24]
My second 870P, I did not select the number on it :

" />

A few more scratches than the first, the tip of the front sight was bent to the right as if dropped and then promptly broken off by me trying to bend it back, but still in good overall shape.  My transaction was trouble-free, mailed check on 7/27 and arrived to FFL on 8/5.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 9:16:35 PM EDT
[#25]
For those that purchased the Police Magnums that have the bad buttpads with the melted look, Remington will replace them free of charge.  There were manufacturing defects in these back in 2006.  Just have your serial numbers ready when you call.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My second 870P, I did not select the number on it :

http://<a href=http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz336/joe_c_01/IMG_20150807_092429_509.jpg</a>" />

A few more scratches than the first, the tip of the front sight was bent to the right as if dropped and then promptly broken off by me trying to bend it back, but still in good overall shape.  My transaction was trouble-free, mailed check on 7/27 and arrived to FFL on 8/5.
View Quote

What cracks me up, is seeing all of these high three digit rack numbers when I got numbers 2 and 6.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Mine got shipped and the FFL got it yesterday. He said there is screws holding the trigger pack in. He states he has never seen one like this before.
I'll post pics when I pick it up later in the week.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Mine got shipped and the FFL got it yesterday. He said there is screws holding the trigger pack in. He states he has never seen one like this before.
View Quote

Check the pics in this thread and you'll see some others with screws instead of pins.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

This just means it had a side saddle.  Hopefully one was included with yours.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dealer said no accessories included
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 3:27:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Put in an order for one of the 870 Vang Comps today. I already have an 18.5" barrel so I submitted a price quote request to Vang Comp themselves to see what it would cost to have their work done to my supplied barrel, as well as a front sight installed. He said he should be able to get it on tomorrow's truck and have it en route, so we'll see...

Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:24:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Put in an order for one of the 870 Vang Comps today. I already have an 18.5" barrel so I submitted a price quote request to Vang Comp themselves to see what it would cost to have their work done to my supplied barrel, as well as a front sight installed. He said he should be able to get it on tomorrow's truck and have it en route, so we'll see...

View Quote

Please let us know what you find out regarding Vang Comp working on the barrel. I have one of these coming as well.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 11:05:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

http://i58.tinypic.com/2m7t8vn.jpg

View Quote

I got a police mag version from summit a few weeks back before he sold out of that model.  When I called VangComp they said they had a special going on some used 18" barrels they already have.  You may want to ask them if the still have any.  They also said they will need the receiver to align the sights correctly.

Just as a side note it only had the standard saftey not the vangcomp on mine.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#34]
I'll update y'all when I hear back from them and let you know.

The main reason I purchased it is I've wanted another 870 for a home defense gun instead of bastardizing the one my Mom bought me for Christmas when I was 16 since it has sentimental value. With this one already being set up for that and priced less than a factory 870 it kinda made it a no brainer.

EDIT:

Apparently they emailed me back three minutes prior to me making this post

Email from Vang Comp:
VCS with Ports on your barrel is $229.50 (LEO discount from $255.00)

To do the sight, we'll need the receiver too. We put the gun in a fixture to ensure the sights are properly aligned.
The Front Sight set is $67.50 (White Dot Sight, add $54.00 for Tritium) installation is $67.50 includes refinishing of the gun, so the barrel & receiver match.

The VCS, backbore, lengthen forcing cone & porting will reduce felt recoil, tighten the pattern and reduce muzzle climb. We will guarantee 10-12" patterns at 25 yards, normally a non VCS gun will get about 25" patterns. Now, you'll need to try several types of ammo, to see which ammo your gun likes best. Just like handloading for a rifle or pistol,
View Quote

I would assume you'd need to add 10% to the cost of each specified charge if you don't qualify for the LEO/MIL discount (applies to current or former).
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 10:54:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I ordered a wingmaster and a vang comp minus the barrel. The guy called of the rack number so I assume I wasn't money raped and contracted financial A.I.D.S.  

I'll update. When possible.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 2:13:09 AM EDT
[#36]
I had a hell of a time getting an FFL around here to actually send him their information for some reason. I gave the first shop a call last Tuesday (8/11) and said I had just called Summit to order an 870, and asked them to email Mark their FFL info. Wednesday night rolls around and I realized I never asked him about shipping confirmation (if I'd get a call or email, and if it would come with tracking), so I emailed and asked. Mark said he had not received any FFL from my shop.

Thursday morning I reminded the owner of the shop via email and he said "yes sir," which knowing him was probably a smartass remark. Thursday afternoon I called Mark, still no FFL email received. Called gun shop #2, explain the situation, guy says he will wait for Mark's email and reply immediately. Saturday rolls around and no FFL info has been sent to him. Went to shop #2 in person, guy gives me some lame ass excuse about how the owner is the only one that can do it and blah blah blah. Too bad for him, I had $500 in my pocket to buy a Glock they had that I wanted and walked out with my cash because they couldn't be bothered to send one email over a three day period.

Called shop #3, explained situation, no problem and they faxed it right then. Not sure why that was so difficult for the first two but I doubt I'll be back to either.

Haven't gotten any kind of ship notification or charge on my credit card yet but something is apparently pending. There is a $1000 limit on it (I rarely ever use a CC) and balance of $300 with $340 available... I'm hoping its on the way and he just forgot to tell me because Thursday is my only free day off this week. If I don't hear of anything from him by Thursday morning I'll call the shop and see if they know anything as they are closed tomorrow.

Just got the call from the shop, my gun has arrived... I'll post with pics after I get home from going to pick it up.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Has anyone got their vang comp yet? I'm dying to get mine together.
Pics if you have em.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I had a hell of a time getting an FFL around here to actually send him their information for some reason. I gave the first shop a call last Tuesday (8/11) and said I had just called Summit to order an 870, and asked them to email Mark their FFL info. Wednesday night rolls around and I realized I never asked him about shipping confirmation (if I'd get a call or email, and if it would come with tracking), so I emailed and asked. Mark said he had not received any FFL from my shop.

Thursday morning I reminded the owner of the shop via email and he said "yes sir," which knowing him was probably a smartass remark. Thursday afternoon I called Mark, still no FFL email received. Called gun shop #2, explain the situation, guy says he will wait for Mark's email and reply immediately. Saturday rolls around and no FFL info has been sent to him. Went to shop #2 in person, guy gives me some lame ass excuse about how the owner is the only one that can do it and blah blah blah. Too bad for him, I had $500 in my pocket to buy a Glock they had that I wanted and walked out with my cash because they couldn't be bothered to send one email over a three day period.

Called shop #3, explained situation, no problem and they faxed it right then. Not sure why that was so difficult for the first two but I doubt I'll be back to either.

Haven't gotten any kind of ship notification or charge on my credit card yet but something is apparently pending. There is a $1000 limit on it (I rarely ever use a CC) and balance of $300 with $340 available... I'm hoping its on the way and he just forgot to tell me because Thursday is my only free day off this week. If I don't hear of anything from him by Thursday morning I'll call the shop and see if they know anything as they are closed tomorrow.

Just got the call from the shop, my gun has arrived... I'll post with pics after I get home from going to pick it up.
View Quote

So how long from finally getting the ffl worked out till it shipped, in case I missed it?
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Pics if you have em.
View Quote

I got mine .. It had a little rust under the shell carrier but nothing bad.  The action was dirty as hell as if the police dept had never cleaned it and tried to only use the dirtiest shells thy could find.  I never have understood why the police never seem to clean their guns.  They are only betting their life on them. I don't have it together yest as I am waiting for my form 1 for it.

What type of safety is coming on everyone's ?  Mine just had the standard remington safety.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:10:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I got mine .. It had a little rust under the shell carrier but nothing bad.  The action was dirty as hell as if the police dept had never cleaned it and tried to only use the dirtiest shells thy could find.  I never have understood why the police never seem to clean their guns.  They are only betting their life on them. I don't have it together yest as I am waiting for my form 1 for it.

What type of safety is coming on everyone's ?  Mine just had the standard remington safety.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pics if you have em.

I'm gonna run an 18.5" till I get to the stamp part. It should work though, yes?
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 11:55:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm gonna run an 18.5" till I get to the stamp part. It should work though, yes?
View Quote

Yeah, it'll work. I'm leaving mine as a regular 18.5" barreled shotgun, doubt I'll ever SBS it in the future as the return is not worth the investment for me personally. All I wanted out of this deal was a spare 870 to have as a home defense gun with a weapon-mounted light, I just never got around to actually following through with my plan because didn't feel like paying $250+ for a new 870 Express, plus another $249 for the Surefire DSF-870 weapon-mounted light forend. I figured even if this gun was beat to shit, it would still work just fine for what I want it to do because I don't care about the finish, as long as it functions. The FFL information was faxed to Mark finally on Saturday afternoon, my card was charged on Monday, gun was shipped Monday, arrived this morning (the shop I used is closed on Wednesdays).

At first glance, it's obvious this thing came from a large department (there is a barcode label taped to the right side of the stock, along with the number "6166," and what I would assume is the officer's last name of "Mills"). The finish is beat to shit, but like I said, I don't care. The action was a little sticky at first, but has loosened up a little the more I cycle it. I think with a good scrubbing and some quality lube, it will be smooth as can be. The largest portion of the finish wear is on the bolt, so it's obvious the gun was cycled frequently. There is also a lot of wear on the trigger group and magazine tube. It did come with a metal trigger group, but I'm not sure if that's a typical thing with 870 Magnums (the only other model I have any experience with is the Express). The stock appears to be in pretty good condition, other than the aforementioned labeling, and the buttpad is not melted as some of them were earlier in the thread (pretty sure that was a totally different model).

There are two major letdowns for me with this gun: the Surefire light doesn't work, and it came with a TacStar sidesaddle instead of a Vang Comp one. That said, the SF light will be an easy fix, it either needs a new lamp assembly (mine uses the P60) or an upgraded light head. I swapped the non-working P60 incandescent assembly with the P60L-WH LED assembly out of the G2 LED on my AR15, and with fresh batteries the forend worked great. The on/off switch is immediate, the pressure switch works just fine, the only thing it seems to need is a new lamp. Knowing that these would be older SF forends, I had already done the research and figured I would have to replace the light head to get the amount of lumens I desired out of it. A replacement P60 incandescent assembly is $16.30 on Amazon, but has a 60 lumen rating and 1-hour run time. The Surefire KX4 LED replacement light head has a 120 lumen rating and 2-hour run time, at a cost of $76.50 on several different sites.

The TacStar sidesaddle was packaged separate from the shotgun, so I installed it first (took two different allen keys to accomplish as the two screw heads were different sizes; again, not sure if that's normal or not). I'll be replacing it with an aluminum one from Vang Comp or Mesa. From the way it sounded when I loaded some 2 3/4" 1oz slugs into it while checking the fit, it may hold up or it may not. Makes me glad I never spent $30 of my own money on one prior to this for my other 870.

It did come with an MMC rear ghost ring sight, no top-mounted rail though. The Vang Comp +1 magazine extension was present, with front sling loop. I loaded five rounds into the magazine tube to check the capacity, but I have not cycled live ammo through the gun yet. I believe Tuesday will be my testing day, I have several kinds of birdshot, 00 buckshot, and slugs to use. We'll see how I like the Speed Feed stock, I may swap it out with a standard Hogue overmolded one if I don't like the pistol grip style.

I eventually plan on the following:

- Send gun to Vang Comp for VCS system work on barrel (including porting); installation of XS Big Dot tritium front sight, VCS over-sized safety, VCS sidesaddle, & refinishing
- Upgrade SF weapon light to Surefire KX4 LED light head
- Add rear sling mount & sling

Now, for the photos:

Overall Impressions:

Overall, I'm fairly happy with this gun. Had the light worked and the sidesaddle been a Vang Comp model, I'd be 100% happy. I think this was more an 870 Magnum with some Vang Comp parts, not a "Vang Comp 870."

I'll post again with the update on how it works/shoots on Tuesday. Bead sight front, ghost ring rear, what could go wrong?
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:25:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for posting pics FloridaHunter07. Picking up my Vang Comp shortly, very curious to see how mine compares.

What are you guys doing for barrels? Specifically for front sights mating with the ghost ring rear sight?
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#43]
No problem. I just (five minutes ago) caved and after a little MORE research, ordered a new Surefire G2X Tactical. It throws 200 lumens with a 2.5-hour run time, and only cost me $54 vs. the $76 for just the KX4 head that has less light and run time.

As far as the sights, like I said personally my plan is to send it to Vang Comp and have them install the XS Big Dot tritium sight, BUT I'm still going to shoot it next week with the ghost ring rear and bead front. If nothing else... the results should be entertaining, lol

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
No problem. I just (five minutes ago) caved and after a little MORE research, ordered a new Surefire G2X Tactical. It throws 200 lumens with a 2.5-hour run time, and only cost me $54 vs. the $76 for just the KX4 head that has less light and run time.

As far as the sights, like I said personally my plan is to send it to Vang Comp and have them install the XS Big Dot tritium sight, BUT I'm still going to shoot it next week with the ghost ring rear and bead front. If nothing else... the results should be entertaining, lol

View Quote

I'm most definitely interested in your AAR.

FWIW your Vang Comp gun is essentially identical to mine. Right down to the "Mills" tag on the stock.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Thanks for posting pics FloridaHunter07. Picking up my Vang Comp shortly, very curious to see how mine compares.

What are you guys doing for barrels? Specifically for front sights mating with the ghost ring rear sight?
View Quote

I purchased 14" vangcomp barrel with front sight from summit for mine.   I just have to wait a few months before I get to install it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:25:43 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote

Will the G2x surefire flashlight led head be a direct replacement for the 870 forend?
I bought one of summits 870 magnums and picked it up today and  my light works but I am looking to upgrade it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#47]
I finally went and picked up my 3 Wingmasters.  I wound up getting 2 with wood stocks and the other had a Speedfeed Synthetic.  
The wood stock guns are engraved with a DPS number
The synthetic stocked gun was either very well cared for or possibly never shot.  The inside looks clean.
The other 2 are going to take some cleaning.

Time to get the paperwork sent off and come up with some plans...

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:39:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I finally went and picked up my 3 Wingmasters.  I wound up getting 2 with wood stocks and the other had a Speedfeed Synthetic.  
The wood stock guns are engraved with a DPS number
The synthetic stocked gun was either very well cared for or possibly never shot.  The inside looks clean.
The other 2 are going to take some cleaning.

Time to get the paperwork sent off and come up with some plans...

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/1065803/fullsize/dscf1365a.jpg

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/1065804/fullsize/dscf1374a.jpg

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/1065805/fullsize/dscf1378a.jpg

View Quote

Just so you know the 2 with rear leaf spring sights are most likely 60's or early 70's vintage ( or at the at least the barrels are). If you will call Remington they will give you the month and year the receiver was made.  Mine was a 64
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:53:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yeah, it'll work. I'm leaving mine as a regular 18.5" barreled shotgun, doubt I'll ever SBS it in the future as the return is not worth the investment for me personally. All I wanted out of this deal was a spare 870 to have as a home defense gun with a weapon-mounted light, I just never got around to actually following through with my plan because didn't feel like paying $250+ for a new 870 Express, plus another $249 for the Surefire DSF-870 weapon-mounted light forend. I figured even if this gun was beat to shit, it would still work just fine for what I want it to do because I don't care about the finish, as long as it functions. The FFL information was faxed to Mark finally on Saturday afternoon, my card was charged on Monday, gun was shipped Monday, arrived this morning (the shop I used is closed on Wednesdays).

At first glance, it's obvious this thing came from a large department (there is a barcode label taped to the right side of the stock, along with the number "6166," and what I would assume is the officer's last name of "Mills"). The finish is beat to shit, but like I said, I don't care. The action was a little sticky at first, but has loosened up a little the more I cycle it. I think with a good scrubbing and some quality lube, it will be smooth as can be. The largest portion of the finish wear is on the bolt, so it's obvious the gun was cycled frequently. There is also a lot of wear on the trigger group and magazine tube. It did come with a metal trigger group, but I'm not sure if that's a typical thing with 870 Magnums (the only other model I have any experience with is the Express). The stock appears to be in pretty good condition, other than the aforementioned labeling, and the buttpad is not melted as some of them were earlier in the thread (pretty sure that was a totally different model).

There are two major letdowns for me with this gun: the Surefire light doesn't work, and it came with a TacStar sidesaddle instead of a Vang Comp one. That said, the SF light will be an easy fix, it either needs a new lamp assembly (mine uses the P60) or an upgraded light head. I swapped the non-working P60 incandescent assembly with the P60L-WH LED assembly out of the G2 LED on my AR15, and with fresh batteries the forend worked great. The on/off switch is immediate, the pressure switch works just fine, the only thing it seems to need is a new lamp. Knowing that these would be older SF forends, I had already done the research and figured I would have to replace the light head to get the amount of lumens I desired out of it. A replacement P60 incandescent assembly is $16.30 on Amazon, but has a 60 lumen rating and 1-hour run time. The Surefire KX4 LED replacement light head has a 120 lumen rating and 2-hour run time, at a cost of $76.50 on several different sites.

The TacStar sidesaddle was packaged separate from the shotgun, so I installed it first (took two different allen keys to accomplish as the two screw heads were different sizes; again, not sure if that's normal or not). I'll be replacing it with an aluminum one from Vang Comp or Mesa. From the way it sounded when I loaded some 2 3/4" 1oz slugs into it while checking the fit, it may hold up or it may not. Makes me glad I never spent $30 of my own money on one prior to this for my other 870.

It did come with an MMC rear ghost ring sight, no top-mounted rail though. The Vang Comp +1 magazine extension was present, with front sling loop. I loaded five rounds into the magazine tube to check the capacity, but I have not cycled live ammo through the gun yet. I believe Tuesday will be my testing day, I have several kinds of birdshot, 00 buckshot, and slugs to use. We'll see how I like the Speed Feed stock, I may swap it out with a standard Hogue overmolded one if I don't like the pistol grip style.

- Send gun to Vang Comp for VCS system work on barrel (including porting); installation of XS Big Dot tritium front sight, VCS over-sized safety, VCS sidesaddle, & refinishing

Now, for the photos:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/613/20126555714_2cd707b089_c.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/632/20749194075_f76bea9da5_c.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5675/20561543428_e9ba46a627_c.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/734/20128568773_388723e0ae_c.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5751/20128565003_60386342a7_c.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/635/20562772959_01cf66e509_c.jpg

Overall Impressions:

Overall, I'm fairly happy with this gun. Had the light worked and the sidesaddle been a Vang Comp model, I'd be 100% happy. I think this was more an 870 Magnum with some Vang Comp parts, not a "Vang Comp 870."

I'll post again with the update on how it works/shoots on Tuesday. Bead sight front, ghost ring rear, what could go wrong?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now, for the photos:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/613/20126555714_2cd707b089_c.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/632/20749194075_f76bea9da5_c.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5675/20561543428_e9ba46a627_c.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/734/20128568773_388723e0ae_c.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5751/20128565003_60386342a7_c.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/635/20562772959_01cf66e509_c.jpg

Overall Impressions:

I think they were done my Vangcomp .  Just a few years back before they made several of their own parts.   MMC was one of the sights they they used before they made their own.   Also Summit originally got them with 14" vangcomp barrels.  The department that had them never had a form 1 or 4 on them so he had to remove the barrels and sale them seperatley.

Just as a FYI my model came with a Mesa tactical carrier and wilderness tactical 3 point sling and had the "S" sticker like yours on it but no other stickers
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:40:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Will the G2x surefire flashlight led head be a direct replacement for the 870 forend?
I bought one of summits 870 magnums and picked it up today and  my light works but I am looking to upgrade it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It should be a direct replacement for the head of the weapon light. The battery compartment comes off of the forend itself, and the light head unscrews from the battery compartment. I put my G2 LED's lamp in the weapon light head/bezel and it worked fine. Both the G2 and G2X-T are 1.25" bezels so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

The KX4 head by itself is $76.50, the G2X-T (entire flashlight) is $54 and change on Amazon. G2X-T should be brighter and have a slightly longer run time. I'll post back with results when I get it, hopefully by Tuesday. Amazon is usually pretty quick with their free shipping.

I have three gun "projects" now - Sig 1911-22 that I'm trying to outfit with five mags sporting +4 followers and +1 basepads, rail, TLR1 and suppressor; an SBR project, and this.

My wallet was last heard yelling "fuck my life" while running open the driveway
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top