Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2015 9:26:45 PM EDT
I've been intrigued by the Shockwave Technologies  shotgun and then ran across a pistol grip only Remington shotgun.  

I have several ideas of what I want to do but I need input to make this work out well, so I greatly appreciate your assistance.

I want to take off the factory magazine extension and put on a Wilson Combat +1 Magazine extension.  

Does anyone know if it really will add +1 on this shotgun?

I also need to replace the front forearm and I'm looking for something that doesn't overlap on the receiver, as I'm thinking about adding a Mesa Tactical 8 Shot Side Saddle.

Can you tell me of a forearm that won't overlap with the receiver and accommodate an 8 Shot Mesa Tactical side saddle?

Will any of the following forearms work in this situation?

SPEEDFEED - LAW ENFORCEMENT (LE) FOREND

Hogue Rubber OverMolded Forend Remington 870 12 Gauge Synthetic Black

PHOENIX TECHNOLOGY, LTD - UNIVERSAL SHOTGUN FOREND

870 Police 12 Gauge Synthetic Forend (F106560)

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:30:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't answer everything but the wilson +1 will add one round.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I would stay away from pistol grip shotguns until the law gets updated so they aren't DD's.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:54:35 PM EDT
[#3]
TeeRex - Thank you very much for the info.  I had one of these on a H&R Pardner Pump and it worked well.

jaqufrost - I appreciate the concern.  I've kept abreast of the other legal threads but I want this to purely be a technical issue.  Hopefully, I can share what I've done with the forum.  I view this as a fun project to build over several weeks.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:21:35 PM EDT
[#4]

I had more or less the configuration you are describing. IAC Hawk 981R with hogue forend & raptor grip, 5+1 from the factory
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:07:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would stay away from pistol grip shotguns until the law gets updated so they aren't DD's.
View Quote

If he stays with barrel over 18" I would say add a stock thus making it into a shotgun by definition, then go back to the pistol grip.  The once a shotgun, always a shotgun would make it exempt from DD.  

EMPHASIS on over 18" barrel.  I do not suggest this with shorter than 18" barrel PGO's unless you have the approved form 1.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:28:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If he stays with barrel over 18" I would say add a stock thus making it into a shotgun by definition, then go back to the pistol grip. The once a shotgun, always a shotgun would make it exempt from DD.

EMPHASIS on over 18" barrel. I do not suggest this with shorter than 18" barrel PGO's unless you have the approved form 1.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If he stays with barrel over 18" I would say add a stock thus making it into a shotgun by definition, then go back to the pistol grip. The once a shotgun, always a shotgun would make it exempt from DD.

EMPHASIS on over 18" barrel. I do not suggest this with shorter than 18" barrel PGO's unless you have the approved form 1.
I think you are correct, though with an 18" barrel it makes more practical sense IMO to have a folding stock.  Personally I would just make an SBS.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Make sure you are above 26" over all length as well as 18" on barrel.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 9:10:09 PM EDT
[#8]
It's taken me a while to finally get around to cutting the barrel.  I cut the barrel, filed the barrel, and cold blued the end.  

Tomorrow I look forward to adding a front bead sight and night sights.

I used a hose clamp to help guide my use of a hacksaw, although my cut did flare out at the top of the cut.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I've shot an 870 almost exactly like what you're building. The raptor grip makes it very controllable. It recoils more down and back. The muzzle doesn't flip as much as you'd expect. The 870 police forend will not interfere with side saddle and the Wilson plus 1 does add a round with 2 3/4" shells. I dont know about 3" shells.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Also if it matters Wilson offers that mag extension with the sling loop built on the bottom instead of either side
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:48:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the input, I'm only going to be shooting Federal 13300 Low Recoil 00 Buck through the gun.  Manageable but I need to practice.

I cut the barrel to a total length of about 27 1/2" so as to cover the +1 mag extension.  I'm not sure if I'm going to add a sling so this gives me a few more options.

I was also able to add the #6 bead front sight today.  Of course, it did take a saving trip to Ace Hardware where I was given the correct drill and tap (#6 Bead requires #36 Drill Bit and a 6-32 tap).  It was really easy to do.  Simple power drill, used some 3 in 1 oil while doing the tap.  I read some recommendations about going slow which worked well.  I only move the tap about 1/4 to 1/2 a turn (clockwise) then backed it out the same amount adding oil ever full turn or so.  I did use a de-greaser afterwards before threading in the bead with red loctite (thread locker).  Came out really well.

I'll wait until next weekend to use JB Weld to add the tritium front sight.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice job!

I wouldn't worry too much about the rumors they're going to reclassify Cruiser shotguns.  There are DECADES of production between Mossberg and Remington that have passed hands privately so many times there is no way they can reclassify them without a free amnesty like with the Neostead designs.  

OR they can just sell it to the MSM that people are creating sawed-off shotguns in a "loophole" .  

The ATF fucked up their definitions of firearms and these "firearms" are legal.  Just like Franklin Armory's XO-26, the "oooh noooesss"/junior G-men crowd can't believe that there are holes in the NFA laws we can utilize. I saw a guy at a LGS refuse to handle one because he was afraid of leaving prints on an illegal gun!

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:20:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks good! When I shot one like yours we used the zombie max buckshot. Not what I'd consider low recoil at all but it wasn't terrible. I did notice my hand sliding back on the pump after a few rapid shots. I think it would increase the chances of short stroking the action. Some sort of retention is a good idea. A vertical grip would work but those are frowned upon for pumps due to bending action bars.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:56:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the input.  I've finished the project.  Here are the final specs.

The whole length is 27" with 14" of barrel.  I cut the barrel using a hose clamp as a guide and ended up with a little bit of an angle leaving more up top, but I'm not going to worry.

The parts list is below"

Mesa Tactical 8 shot Side Saddle (See photos of the unique retention system.  There is a rubber gasket between the mounting plate and the shell carrier that provides the tension.)
Wilson Combat +1 Mag Extension with Quick Detach Stud - Barrel cut long enough to go beyond the end of the stud
Wilson Combat jumbo Head Safety
Aluminum Red Magazine Follower (Midway I believe)
Ultimate Arms Gear Tactical Stealth Black 4 Shot Shell Ammo Reload Carrier Holder Straps Onto Handguard Pump Action Slide Handle Forearm - Had a retired neighbor sew the velcro to the strap for extra durability
XS Tritium Front sight - had to drill and tap a #6 bead and then JB Weld the Tritium Sight onto the barrel over the new bead
Shockwave Birdheads grip and Remington Police Forend (Free from a great member of the AKFiles)

I haven't tallied up the prices, but I enjoyed the project.  Base gun was purchased from CDNN with ATI pistol grip parts.  I still need to sell the +3 Mag Extension, ATI forends and breacher choke

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top