Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2015 8:57:33 PM EDT
Saw a used Winchester Defender 12 gauge (couldn't see 1200 or 1300 on the barrel, maybe lettering was too small?) with wood forearm+buttstock, 18.5 barrel and mag tube extension for $275 at KTP. The wood overall looks very good--not new, but very nice, showing minimal use. The gun offhand doesn't look like it had seen all of that much use either--bluing doesn't look too bad. I didn't look with a borelight down the barrel or anything, but I have a feeling it probably doesn't show much use either.

Is this a decent price for a used Winchester Defender with 8 round tube capacity? I know they don't make Winchester 1300 Defenders anymore, but my understanding is that it is relatively easy still to find parts (such as stocks, barrels, tube extensions, etc.) for them and I've heard they have one of, if not the, smoothest actions for a 12 gauge pump, some say noticeably smoother than a Mossberg 590 and Remington 870. I've never fired a Winchester 1300, but I'm wondering if I might have an easier time firing and cycling with it than a Remington 870 tactical. I've owned Mossbergs, the Remington and a few others and I figure.

About the only thing I can see offhand I don't like about the Defender is that the pump release button/lever is kind of small compared to the ones on a Remington 870 and Mossberg 590.

What do you guys think? $275 a decent deal for a used Winchester Defender with wood furniture and 8 round capacity?

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#1]
defender is kinda about $20.00 cheaper in.these parts here. The Defender brings a tad more than old 5 shot, 1200-1300 Winchester pumps .

these are my prefered pumps. everyone has a favorite. seem to be a mess off 24" smoothbore slug guns of late? all good slick pumps.

my Maverick 88's have the same controls, as does my old JC Higgens mod. 20's ..12 gauges slide release,safety the same on all 3. I have a hard time finding the old Higgins slam fire pumps nowadays

Ted Williams 200 old Sears and Roebuck was a cheap Winchester 1200.same layout. no fishmouth receiever cut as winchester
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I sold one to a board member here a couple of years ago for $325.  It was 99%, if that gives you a frame of reference.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:54:31 PM EDT
[#3]
about 200.00-250 in these parts.

that Defender on top was bought used 3 years back for less than 2 out the door. It was about new, box and all. maybe shot 10 times.

add 30 bucks in todays market.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:04:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I sold one to a board member here a couple of years ago for $325.  It was 99%, if that gives you a frame of reference.

View Quote

pump guns are kinda cheap here. all we had for many years was smoothbore slug guns  for deer here.

you boys have a mess more used bolt action rifles your ways.

kinda hard for shops to give or get much for old pumps around me.  New Maverick 88's are pretty cheap here on sale at Dick's.7+1 20 in. tube 219.00+ tax. back at Christmas.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all of the feedback, I really appreciate it. I'm debating whether or not to sell or trade an 870 for a Defender, or try to just buy the Defender and decide which one to keep (probably wouldn't keep them both). I kind of look at it this way--if I do go that route of selling the 870, and end up not liking the 1300 very much, rather than go back to another 870, I more than likely would just save up for a Mossberg 590 or 590A1 again because I had one before and did like it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:09:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Just saw a like super minty new 8 shot 1300 with wood $309. I had one minty that I traded for, the tag on that was $329 that was like 4 years ago. Keep in mind that they will run mini shells and fit like 13 of em in the gun as well as 18.5" fits more rounds than any other 18.5" pump. FN has the rights to the 1300 and makes a restricted capacity police gun now that's  over $400 new.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just saw a like super minty new 8 shot 1300 with wood $309. I had one minty that I traded for, the tag on that was $329 that was like 4 years ago. Keep in mind that they will run mini shells and fit like 13 of em in the gun as well as 18.5" fits more rounds than any other 18.5" pump. FN has the rights to the 1300 and makes a restricted capacity police gun now that's  over $400 new.
View Quote

I love my 1300's. I guess nowadays 275.00 is a fair price
yes the feed is so-so on them little hulls. that longer Nobel, is better than Aquillas.

The Stoeger P350 for being Turkish made has been good also. It's the early turk made stuff that seem more problem prone, soft metal,ect..

The Stoeger 3000 autoloader I gave my buddy has been tops. That thing eats shit 1oz. loads.

Time will tell with newer made Turkish built stuff.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:15:16 AM EDT
[#8]
If it is a true "Defender" with the factory mag tube then that is a decent deal depending on the condition. Savage is importing a Chinese made clone under the Stevens brand that sells for ~$200. I purchased a brand new, never fired, Winchester 1300 with both a 30" bird barrel and an18" Home Defense barrel for $300 about two years ago but it is the 5 shot mag tube.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top