Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2015 5:26:15 PM EDT
Has anyone tried any of the 'specialty' ammo out there? I see there's rubber buckshot, breacher loads, flechette loads, and my most interested one, flash bangs. I know there's even more like the Dragon's Breath and Exploding Slugs, But I've never been real impressed with the fantasy stuff.

Any insight would be appreciated.....
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 5:35:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Youtube has alot of videos on this stuff. But im just intrested in slinging buck.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 5:42:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Youtube has alot of videos on this stuff. But im just intrested in slinging buck.
View Quote

I agree 100%, but I was thinking that the flash bang might impress a trespasser?

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Has anyone tried any of the 'specialty' ammo out there? I see there's rubber buckshot, breacher loads, flechette loads, and my most interested one, flash bangs. I know there's even more like the Dragon's Breath and Exploding Slugs, But I've never been real impressed with the fantasy stuff.

View Quote

I've tried rubber and zytel buckshot. Its probably effective for riot control. But don't use the specialty crap for home defense.....
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:55:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I've done a little amateur testing of the flechettes.  Long story made short is that you're in Much more danger from someone shooting .22 Shorts than you are from someone with a full magazine of 12 gauge flechette rounds.

Long and detailed story....
1)  They're packed 20 per shell.  To get that sort of packing half of them are loaded backwards so the fins don't crowd.  You can imagine what immediately happens to half the projectiles as they leave the muzzle.  At 21feet the pattern was an 8' circle.  An Eight Foot Circle, that's a little over 50 sq ft.

2)  They're packed 20 per shell, that means each can be no more than 40% of 00-buck loaded at 8 per shell.  Oh, but they're not lead so they individually weigh Less Than 40% of a 00 buck pellet.

3)  They aren't packed in any sort of cup although they do have some filler.  That means that points and fins are going to be scraping their way down your barrel with each discharge.

4)  Penetration is a joke.  Remember that half went off course as soon as they exited the barrel?  Well those and the others were key-holing at 21-feet.  That means No penetration.  The ones that did manage to get down the range point first stuck into plywood about 1/4 inch deep.  ONE penetrated a level III vest,... all the way up to its fins.  How many times can you get stuck <1 inch deep by an ice pick and still operate?

Stick with 00 buck or perhaps even better No. 1 buck.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:29:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I have used rubber buckshot and slugs in 6 or so work applications. The first time was mix of Buck and solid ball in a jail riot/escape attempt. There were approximately 120 prisoners and 8 of us. With rubber rounds. There were 4 officers with live ammo for anyone who made it over. Guns were a mix of 870's, 500's and Winchester 1300's. At a range of approximately 20 yards outside the facility fence we were ordered if they breached a fire escape to keep anyone from going over the perimeter fence. When they did breach the fire escape they ran toward the fence and the Lt. Ordered them to prone on the ground and surrender. As soon as the first couple hit the fence we opened fire on the climbers. I got 2 solid hits on 2 guys and the fight was over for them. They hit the deck and covered up. We then directed fire to the mob and had everyone surrender within 40 rounds fired. None of the guys with live ammo fired a shot.
It hit hard enough the prisoners thought we were all using live ammo. The buckshot spread to 10 inches or so with some penetrating just under the skin. The slugs hit like baseballs and left tennis ball size welts. I remember picking up some of them. The slugs were like bouncy balls from a vending machine and the buck was like the green rubber pellets from toy guns when I was a kid.
The other times over the years have been various barricaded suspect and individuals acting stupid.
That first time was the shit though. I was a new rookie and thought this kinda stuff would happen all the time. Oh yea cause of the riot? County complying with the federal mandate to eliminate tobacco use in jails. Thanks big gov!
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#6]
My brother got some dragon breath and was showing off and caught the damn field on fire at my moms house. We grabbed shovels and ran down and beat it out. They were impressive as hell though. Highly recommend them if you want to light a dry field on fire. Miss my brother, lost him in '96 Telling good shit on him helps
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:44:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have used rubber buckshot and slugs in 6 or so work applications. The first time was mix of Buck and solid ball in a jail riot/escape attempt. There were approximately 120 prisoners and 8 of us. With rubber rounds. There were 4 officers with live ammo for anyone who made it over. Guns were a mix of 870's, 500's and Winchester 1300's. At a range of approximately 20 yards outside the facility fence we were ordered if they breached a fire escape to keep anyone from going over the perimeter fence. When they did breach the fire escape they ran toward the fence and the Lt. Ordered them to prone on the ground and surrender. As soon as the first couple hit the fence we opened fire on the climbers. I got 2 solid hits on 2 guys and the fight was over for them. They hit the deck and covered up. We then directed fire to the mob and had everyone surrender within 40 rounds fired. None of the guys with live ammo fired a shot.
It hit hard enough the prisoners thought we were all using live ammo. The buckshot spread to 10 inches or so with some penetrating just under the skin. The slugs hit like baseballs and left tennis ball size welts. I remember picking up some of them. The slugs were like bouncy balls from a vending machine and the buck was like the green rubber pellets from toy guns when I was a kid.
The other times over the years have been various barricaded suspect and individuals acting stupid.
That first time was the shit though. I was a new rookie and thought this kinda stuff would happen all the time. Oh yea cause of the riot? County complying with the federal mandate to eliminate tobacco use in jails. Thanks big gov!
View Quote

Yep, I'm starting to see that most of the 'specialty' stuff is all hype! I'm in the same frame of mind that for home defense at an acreage, buckshot is king. Non lethal with rubber sounds like an option. Beyond that, I'm thinking that rest is just fantasy?

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I would like the finned grenade rounds, would end debate about armor vs. 12ga but they're  not availiable to civilians...
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:59:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I have played with fletchetts, panelling nails, sinkers, nuts, screws, tacks, anything that will fit inside a shotgun shell. If you have a reloader and want to fart around like I do, then have fun. Otherwise, bird bombs are cool as are the dragons breath for shits and grins. But, save your spendind money on the gimmicky stuff and stick to slugs and buckshot for serious social applications. Not only do they do the job better, but they are the generally accepted law enforcement loads that wont have a liberal prosecutor or newspaper calling for your head on a pike because you shot some intruder with a load of wire strung machine screw nuts.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:15:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know a guy shot his room mate with 2 rounds of rubber buck coming at him with a kabar, it didn't even make him flinch.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I know a guy shot his room mate with 2 rounds of rubber buck coming at him with a kabar, it didn't even make him flinch.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have no way of knowing how what you get at a gun show is loaded. Could be weak to save money or for liability. The stuff we used came through the normal LE supply chain at the time.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:10:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

yes.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#13]
maybe look at those steel D Dupleks slugs.

theres another new brand H.D slug out, it's on youtube.

shit those kids on youtube shoot all kinds of odd stuff out of shotguns
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:26:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Those dupleks slugs are nasty as hell. I and a buddy bought a few boxes years ago, they are loaded hot and are a solid piece of machined steel.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:37:30 AM EDT
[#15]
If you just want to mess around for cheap the wax slugs and cut shells should be easy to make. If you google demolition ranch or tafladermaus they have some unique loadings.

I'd really like some confetti shells to shot at weddings. I could just imagine a redneck 21gun salute as the bride and groom exist the church or leave or their honeymoon.

If it wernt so damn expensive I'd tryout some of the buck and ball offerings but wouldn't consider the Rhodesian jungle rounds.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:44:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Those dupleks slugs are nasty as hell. I and a buddy bought a few boxes years ago, they are loaded hot and are a solid piece of machined steel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

they looked kindly mean. I think I may have studied a 28 something? the thing plowed through a gel block...........kept going. nasty stuff
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:07:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

they looked kindly mean. I think I may have studied a 28 something? the thing plowed through a gel block...........kept going. nasty stuff
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ones we have were the 12 gauge ones, I saw a video of them shooting hogs through 6 inch diameter trees with them and dropping them.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:07:24 AM EDT
[#18]
about anything from Brenneke is decent stuff.

most anyone on this forum are up to speed makin cut shells,waxers, or home favorite stuff.blaclpowder loads,ect

kinda funny we all know better than post in GD. about our scatter guns! everyone here is good people

you guy's are the best.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:13:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The ones we have were the 12 gauge ones, I saw a video of them shooting hogs through 6 inch diameter trees with them and dropping them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

kinda hard to get hold of. and as yah know it will $$$$$$$$$$$$

I'll give them a shot when I can.

couple new maverick 88 Gonna be in monday or tuesday, 20 inch 8 shot jobs cheap workin mans stuff
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:33:15 AM EDT
[#20]
I think the other new thing is.......multiplpe impact ammo or whatever. youtube it home defense 12 gauge.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:35:05 AM EDT
[#21]
A buddy bought some of the Dragon's Breath rounds one time; they were pretty impressive on a 4th of July night but you do have to be careful with them.  I've shot a couple of flechette rounds and agree that they are worthless.  I've also shot some of the rubber buck and beanbag rounds but only at targets, not escaping prisoners.  When we were younger one of my friends and I used to load odd things like lead sinkers, nuts, saboted rifle rounds and plastic beads into shotgun shells and shoot them out of his old Ithaca cylinder bore.  Most of them were functional but not particularly impressive but cut shells will cut small pines in half and demolish soft targets like toaster ovens.    I still shoot cut shells every now and then when someone asks about them; use new factory crimped rounds for best results and cut almost all of the way through at the wadding.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:04:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A buddy bought some of the Dragon's Breath rounds one time; they were pretty impressive on a 4th of July night but you do have to be careful with them.  I've shot a couple of flechette rounds and agree that they are worthless.  I've also shot some of the rubber buck and beanbag rounds but only at targets, not escaping prisoners.  When we were younger one of my friends and I used to load odd things like lead sinkers, nuts, saboted rifle rounds and plastic beads into shotgun shells and shoot them out of his old Ithaca cylinder bore.  Most of them were functional but not particularly impressive but cut shells will cut small pines in half and demolish soft targets like toaster ovens.    I still shoot cut shells every now and then when someone asks about them; use new factory crimped rounds for best results and cut almost all of the way through at the wadding.
View Quote

hell some of those kids on youtube shoot folk with that rubber stuff. Tain't for me boy's.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 6:42:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I agree 100%, but I was thinking that the flash bang might impress a trespasser?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If my buckshot doesn't impress him maybe st.peter will
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 8:43:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

couple new maverick 88 Gonna be in monday or tuesday, 20 inch 8 shot jobs cheap workin mans stuff
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We got them cheap less than 3 bucks a box but I think they were new int he country and weren't selling TBH then.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 3:43:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 6:57:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I have a buddy who does tactical training all over the country.  He ends up with some neat stuff.  The 100m and 200m flashbangs are my favorite.  They make a "bloop" sound leaving the barrel but are extremely loud and very bright down range.  I have looked for commercial suppliers and nobody carries them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a buddy who does tactical training all over the country.  He ends up with some neat stuff.  The 100m and 200m flashbangs are my favorite.  They make a "bloop" sound leaving the barrel but are extremely loud and very bright down range.  I have looked for commercial suppliers and nobody carries them.

Yes, that's the sort of load I've been looking for! I can't understand why they aren't available to the public, as you can buy bird bangers that do about the same fired out of a plastic pistol launcher.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They also plow through car doors.... LOTS of car doors.....
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:58:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I'd really like some confetti shells to shot at weddings. I could just imagine a redneck 21gun salute as the bride and groom exist the church or leave or their honeymoon.

View Quote
I once went to the wedding of a Texan couple who had these. They fired them from a chromed double barrel shotgun that was quite heavily decorated before cutting the cake.

Damn the bbq at that reception was good..

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I once went to the wedding of a Texan couple who had these. They fired them from a chromed double barrel shotgun that was quite heavily decorated before cutting the cake.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can get the confetti loads at The Sportsman's Guide. They also have some other 12 gauge exotic stuff too!
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:14:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Theres a Dupo 28 and the Monolit 28 and also a Dupo 32 and monolit 32.I think all are steel and I think the Dupo has expanding petals that fragment.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 6:40:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The rib wouldn't let me do it for our wedding. But it's ok we had a couple salvos of the three ball artillery shells. I wanted fireworks and I got fireworks
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Inspired by the "Tactical Single-Shot Shotgun" thread, I cut down the barrel to 18.5" as well as shortened the stock and stream-lined an old Savage single-shot. Sorry no pics because I am having problems with my Photo-Bucket account.

Anyway, after I completed work on my gun it had a sorta M79 "Thumper" quality to it so I decided to play with some of the "exotic" rounds. Frankly, they were all disappointing (particularly compared to their cost/round) but there were three rounds that performed well-enough that I thought it worth keeping a few on a bandoleer with the gun (along with some traditional Bird, Buck and Slug).

Zombie Blaster rounds -"5 rounds Zombie Blaster™ 12 Gauge 2 3/4" Non-projectile Mega Blank Rounds" from Sportsman's Guide. Despite the gimmicky name, of the blank rounds I fired, these were definitely the LOUDEST!!! My ears were ringing for a couple days after firing two rounds without hearing protection. It was a LOT louder standing to the side of the blast. If you ever needed such a round to scare stray dogs, wildlife, use a distraction or use as an audible alarm these would be pretty good. They will make anybody and anything in the immediate area STOP whatever they are doing for a few seconds at least.

Red Meteor Flares (obvious utility)- I happen to have a good supply of old OLIN 12ga. flares that I used to get for free when I worked at a marina (old stock with expired dates). Even though they are old, they have all fired for me. My cut down barrel now has virtually no constriction so the flare can exit the barrel. YMMV on a barrel with ANY sort of choke!

Door Breaching Round- I include this with some hesitation. It would literally be a last resort to gaining entry or finding egress from a structure. A few years ago a friend purchased some Navy surplus rounds and experimented with them. He then loaded some rounds using #12 "rat shot" and found them to be more predictable and controllable but very effective on the vulnerable points of a door. Again, I AM NOT ADVISING ANYBODY TO USE THESE ROUNDS FOR ANY REASON! Even when used "properly" there is great risk of injury.

Most everything else I shot was simply a novelty or a gimmick and I would not buy them again.

Also, using "less lethal" loads in firearms is almost always a bad idea. If you truly have justification for shooting a firearm at somebody then it should be with the goal of stopping a real threat, not "warning" somebody or "scaring" somebody.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Inspired by the "Tactical Single-Shot Shotgun" thread, I cut down the barrel to 18.5" as well as shortened the stock and stream-lined an old Savage single-shot. Sorry no pics because I am having problems with my Photo-Bucket account.

Anyway, after I completed work on my gun it had a sorta M79 "Thumper" quality to it so I decided to play with some of the "exotic" rounds. Frankly, they were all disappointing (particularly compared to their cost/round) but there were three rounds that performed well-enough that I thought it worth keeping a few on a bandoleer with the gun (along with some traditional Bird, Buck and Slug).

Zombie Blaster rounds -"5 rounds Zombie Blaster™ 12 Gauge 2 3/4" Non-projectile Mega Blank Rounds" from Sportsman's Guide. Despite the gimmicky name, of the blank rounds I fired, these were definitely the LOUDEST!!! My ears were ringing for a couple days after firing two rounds without hearing protection. It was a lot louder standing to the side of the blast. If you ever needed such a round to scare stray dogs, wildlife, use a distraction or use as an audible alarm these would be pretty good. They will make anybody and anything in the immediate area STOP whatever they are doing for a few seconds at least.

Red Meteor Flares obvious utility- I happen to have a good supply of old OLIN 12ga. flares that I used to get for free when I worked at a marina (old stock with expired dates). Even though they are old, they have all fired for me. My cut down barrel now has virtually no constriction so the flare can exit the barrel. YMMV on a barrel with ANY sort of choke!

Door Breaching Round- I include this with some hesitation. It would literally be a last resort to gaining entry or finding egress from a structure. A few years ago a friend purchased some Navy surplus rounds and experimented with them. He then loaded some rounds using #12 "rat shot" and found them to be more predictable and controllable but very effective on the vulnerable points of a door. Again, I AM NOT ADVISING ANYBODY TO USE THESE ROUNDS FOR ANY REASON! Even when used "properly" there is great risk of injury.

Most everything else I shot was simply a novelty or a gimmick and I would not buy them again.

Also, using "less lethal" loads in firearms is almost always a bad idea. If you truly have justification for shooting a firearm at somebody then it should be with the goal of stopping a real threat, not "warning" somebody or "scaring" somebody.
View Quote

Zombie blast is fun, we put some in our buddies shotgun (when he wasn't looking) when we were duck hunting & it was one of the funniest things i've ever done. I've tried the Flechette rounds and they would probably work pretty well for varmints or snakes. Also, I've tried the Dragon's Breath & its a good way to start a fire but other than that they are just kind of a waste.

The flash bang rounds sound promising though.

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 8:09:25 AM EDT
[#34]
My friend tried three rounds of the current production "Dragon's Breath" and I was unimpressed. The only practical (although probably ILLEGAL in all but the most dire of circumstances) purpose I could imagine for them was as an incendiary to ignite an emergency backfire to create a fuel break or to torch a dangerous but attractive nuisance (again, almost certainly illegal to take these actions on your own). However, while the three rounds my friend fired spit out a lot of sparks and would have likely set any combustibles on fire (a friend shot these on a private farm over a wet, tilled field) I wouldn't make any guarantee that they would do so. It certainly was NOT a "flame thrower" as defined in military parlance. Frankly, if you think you might need something like this, keeping a couple common road flares in your pack might be a better choice.

My friend tried three rounds of the current production "bird bomb" rounds but they were disappointing as well. NOTHING like the ones you could freely purchase in the '70s and 80's for "agricultural use". Waste of money now.

If you are looking for an effective 00 Buck round, Hornady's Critical Defense 8 pellet load is impressive. It shoots eight #00 pellets at 1600fps. Most 00 Buck loads offer 9 pellets at 1100-1300fps. That extra velocity is a huge advantage in my opinion. Its effect on various targets convinced me of that. Hornady also sells the same load marketed under the "Zombie Defense" brand. Sometimes it is a little cheaper but it is the same thing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top