Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2015 3:37:52 PM EDT
I have wanted to build a Remington Model 11 SBS for a while. I ran across a good candidate at a local shop last month. After some research I have decided to go ahead with it. Here is what I have in mind.

I wanted to find one with a rough finish to duracoat. This one is already duracoated. The wood is in pretty good shape with minimal repairs that were done right. I installed a Scattergun Technologies sling adapter and a Nordic plus one mag extension. The mag extension threads are 1/8 inch too shallow to work on the Model 11. They bottom out prior to getting tight to the handguard. The sling adapter took up that slack. I plan to cut the barrel off even with the mag extension and have it threaded for chokes. I am going to shorten the rear stock by about an inch as well.

The ATF Form 1 is submitted. I need to send the barrel off to get cut and threaded. With any luck my approval and barrel will be ready about the same time. Here is a before pic.

I talked with a local machine shop about doing the engraving and barrel work. I went by there this morning. He wasn't able to get the barrel work done. Surprisingly he was able to do the engraving while I waited. I wanted to get it engraved in a place other than the typical side of the receiver. On the Model 11 there is a metal tab that runs off of the back of the receiver and over the top of the rear stock. There is a similar tab on the trigger guard that is used to sandwich the rear stock in place. He was able to engrave my trust info into the tab on the top of the receiver. It turned out great and left the side of the receiver clean.

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Very cool look forward to seeing the finished product. When I go shooting the model 11 always comes out of the safe. Probably the most reliable and fun shotgun I have ever owned. Keep an eye on eBay. I see SILE stocks for sale every now and then. The wood is really the only weakness with these old workhorses.

ETA you might look into a two piece carrier conversion. Adding the speed feed two piece browning carrier makes loading much easier. Midwest gun works and midway usa have all the parts needed.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:15:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very cool look forward to seeing the finished product. When I go shooting the model 11 always comes out of the safe. Probably the most reliable and fun shotgun I have ever owned. Keep an eye on eBay. I see SILE stocks for sale every now and then. The wood is really the only weakness with these old workhorses.

ETA you might look into a two piece carrier conversion. Adding the speed feed two piece browning carrier makes loading much easier. Midwest gun works and midway usa have all the parts needed.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip. I will look for the Browning parts to convert it over. I know an older fellow that has retired and tinkers with guns in his free time. He has more parts for the A5 and Model 11 than I have ever seen. I am sure he has the parts to convert it over. I just need to look into what parts I need.

I am going to be looking for a decent deal on a stock. The wood on this gun is in decent shape. I plan to refinish it while the gun is stripped down. I wouldn't mind having some spare wood though.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:56:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Parts you will need are
Locking block latch B1111269
Locking block latch spring B1111277
Two piece carrier 12 gauge B1111064
Carrier spring B1111107

Depending on who you purchase from you can pick them all up for around $160-$175. It can be as simple as a drop in installation as it was on a friends model 11. I had to take a few thousandths off the sides of the carrier to clear the loading port on mine. I have a spare barrel that I would love to cut down shorter but have not yet gotten into the stamp collecting game. Pic of carrier in my model 11.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:57:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I hardly ever post in the forums (other than the classifieds) but found your post so ironic that I'm compelled to get off of my posterior. After surfing the various shotgun pics on this and other sites for several months,  I had also become interested in the idea of cutting one of these down. I was planning on a Model 11, but while looking around, came across a great deal on an A5 in really good shape. Went looking for a damaged barrel to cut up and ended up with two. I'm also looking at a Nordic +1 but possibly a sling adapter mag cap vs the Scattergun Tech approach. I really like the engraving idea, and may borrow that if I can find someone who can put it there. Please do post pics when you are complete. I am getting ready to do my paperwork so am probably a couple of months from completion.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:08:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hardly ever post in the forums (other than the classifieds) but found your post so ironic that I'm compelled to get off of my posterior. After surfing the various shotgun pics on this and other sites for several months,  I had also become interested in the idea of cutting one of these down. I was planning on a Model 11, but while looking around, came across a great deal on an A5 in really good shape. Went looking for a damaged barrel to cut up and ended up with two. I'm also looking at a Nordic +1 but possibly a sling adapter mag cap vs the Scattergun Tech approach. I really like the engraving idea, and may borrow that if I can find someone who can put it there. Please do post pics when you are complete. I am getting ready to do my paperwork so am probably a couple of months from completion.
View Quote

Once it is done I will post some pics. I am waiting for my Form 1, then sending my barrel to Rose Action Sports. He is going to cut the barrel down, thread it for chokes, and install a new front sight base and bead.

I went with the Scattergun sling adapter to fill in a gap between the endcap and the handguard. The threads on the Model 11 are a little longer than the 870 it was designed for. The endcap runs out of threads before it is tight on the handguard. After I got it installed I figured out that the mag extension screws out of the endcap. I actually may have been able to use it without the adapter but I haven't tried it yet. If you'd like I could give it a shot and see if it would work without the sling adapter plate.

The engraving was done with a laser engraver. A local machine shop just got into building their own AR15s. They use the same engraver to mark their uppers and lowers. It is able to reach the depth requirements that the ATF specify. A lot of jewelry shops have engravers similar, but cannot reach the required depths. This place may would do your receiver through the mail since they are an FFL. If you' like I can get you their contact info.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:48:17 PM EDT
[#6]
A cut down model 11 is what sits by my bed!  Love the gun.

I was able to cut my barrel to just over 18 1/2 inches and then cut the butt stock down and get it plenty short without a stamp and still of legal barrel AND overall length.  

Just something to consider.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:18:36 AM EDT
[#7]
nice stuff.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I would be interested in the engraving contact. I know I have some local options but would be interested in a similar solution as yours. Not sure how many shops are set up to engrave on a curved surface. Also, if you don't mind me asking, what will the cut/threading cost?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I will send you a PM with that info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top