BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 8:47:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Armor can be defeated many ways, and circumvention is a valid one, but it could be done just as easily with a .380 handgun. That doesn't mean it's better.

View Quote

Could you shoot skeet with a .380 handgun?

Popping multiple opponents in the face in a fraction of a second is something some super awesome trick shooter could do with a handgun, maybe, but not you, and not me.

If you use a shotgun like a carbine, then it is inferior. Just like a carbine makes a terrible shotgun.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 8:51:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Popping multiple opponents in the face in a fraction of a second is something some super awesome trick shooter could do with a handgun, maybe, but not you, and not me.

If you use a shotgun like a carbine, then it is inferior. Just like a carbine makes a terrible shotgun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Armor can be defeated many ways, and circumvention is a valid one, but it could be done just as easily with a .380 handgun. That doesn't mean it's better.

Yes, because home defense is exactly like skeet shooting

This thread REALLY needs to be moved to gd
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 9:42:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Hands down, you have won the stupid post of 2015 award

Holy crap, I've never seen so much derp before
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Off the top of my head, the criteria for selecting a defensive weapon might include:

(Listed in approximate order of importance)

Reliability
Maneuverability
Ergonomics
Follow Up Shot
Ammo Capacity
Terminal Ballistics (1 round)
Simplicity of controls/functions
Recoil
Clearing a stoppage
Reload Time
Over-penetration (Sheetrock)
Able to fire accurately (short range)
Accessorisability (lights, lasers)
Ease/cost/practicality of safe storage
Able to fire accurately (long range)
Body Armor Penetration

Shotty scores very well in Terminal Ballistics and Short Range Accuracy.  It is acceptable to poor in everything else.

Given the choice between a Carbine, Battle Rifle, Semiauto Pistol, Revolver, Shotgun;  carbine is best, shotgun is probably the worst.
SBR carbine is the ideal home defense weapon for most people.

Just my expert opinion.  YMMV.

ETA:  now I'll go back and read the other responses.

Reliability - AR doesn't have much over most modern shotguns. You have magazines. While pump shotguns are typically reliable an AR is more so. I personally have some where around 10k rounds of Wolf no less through multiple AR's and have never had a malfunction. We aren't talking AK's here…
Maneuverability - M4 carbine is long. Shorten the barrel and you've lost significant short and long range ballistics. MYTH… see picture below
Ergos - toss up, I could argue shotgun easily. Could almost agree here depending on which shotgun we are talking about…
Follow up shot - AR. But what is your threat? There is a reason high brass is used even though it kicks and you don't get many. uhm, nobody can say that they can shoot a pump shotgun as fast as they can shoot an AR, even an autoloader shotgun with defense loads is slower then an AR
Capacity - no arguing here.
Terminal ballistics - it's a .22 vs multiple slugs yes, 1 oz slugs will do the job, and yes one will work just as well or more so then anything else. But to say .223/5.56 defense loads won't work shows little understanding of terminal ballistics
Recoil - if you can't deal with a shotgun that's unfortunate, honestly. Some may not want to when they don't have too, simple as that. Better options are available if they don't have to use a shotgun. Shotguns take more training to become proficient, not everyone is a 3gunner and anything greater then 2 3/4" is way too punishing on the shooter to manage in a close on shooting where multiple attackers nay be present. How much spread will you get at 21 feet…
Clearing - I guess AR but see reliability. yes, see reliability, short stroke an 870…
Reload - yea AR. Being able to put hundreds of rounds down range that quick is awesome, but that  doesn't always equal lethality. uhm, I don't think you understand what you just wrote…
Over penetration - is there anything better than shotgun? so you do realize that any effective load out of any gun will penetrate more then 12" and has potential to over penetrate. Buckshot will over penetrate, 9mm, 1oz slugs and even .223/5.56. The 5.56 may deflect and lose energy more so after penetration over the others, see terminal ballistics
Short range accuracy - onviously skill decides but I think all things equal shotgun no brainier. Give me a target and I'll hit it, all of it. foolish statement, again, how much spread are you getting at 21 feet and closer with defense load? I hope you are using flight control as well. You not hit all of it. You will hit in a tight pattern where you aimed it…
Accessories - light and sling, done. ok, I can't argue that one
Safe storage - what? again, no difference in this as well
Accurate long range - better than you think. Rifled 20 gauge semi auto. Good enough. now this is really dependent on the shotgun and load with slugs but only to the point that, yes, with the right load, sights and shotgun you may be able to a man sized target at 100 yards or so but no much else. To say that it even comes remotely close to any rifle is simply foolish
Body armor - anything high power and velocity. Straight physics here, but you can't cover everything. can't say much because I've never paid much attention to ballistics against armor…

Allow me to add…

ETA:
image by Bill DoubleU, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 9:47:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Allow me to add...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Off the top of my head, the criteria for selecting a defensive weapon might include:

(Listed in approximate order of importance)

Reliability
Maneuverability
Ergonomics
Follow Up Shot
Ammo Capacity
Terminal Ballistics (1 round)
Simplicity of controls/functions
Recoil
Clearing a stoppage
Reload Time
Over-penetration (Sheetrock)
Able to fire accurately (short range)
Accessorisability (lights, lasers)
Ease/cost/practicality of safe storage
Able to fire accurately (long range)
Body Armor Penetration

Shotty scores very well in Terminal Ballistics and Short Range Accuracy.  It is acceptable to poor in everything else.

Given the choice between a Carbine, Battle Rifle, Semiauto Pistol, Revolver, Shotgun;  carbine is best, shotgun is probably the worst.
SBR carbine is the ideal home defense weapon for most people.

Just my expert opinion.  YMMV.

ETA:  now I'll go back and read the other responses.

Reliability - AR doesn't have much over most modern shotguns. You have magazines. While pump shotguns are typically reliable an AR is more so. I personally have some where around 10k rounds of Wolf no less through multiple AR's and have never had a malfunction. We aren't talking AK's here…
Maneuverability - M4 carbine is long. Shorten the barrel and you've lost significant short and long range ballistics. MYTH… see picture below
Ergos - toss up, I could argue shotgun easily. Could almost agree here depending on which shotgun we are talking about…
Follow up shot - AR. But what is your threat? There is a reason high brass is used even though it kicks and you don't get many. uhm, nobody can say that they can shoot a pump shotgun as fast as they can shoot an AR, even an autoloader shotgun with defense loads is slower then an AR
Capacity - no arguing here.
Terminal ballistics - it's a .22 vs multiple slugs yes, 1 oz slugs will do the job, and yes one will work just as well or more so then anything else. But to say .223/5.56 defense loads won't work shows little understanding of terminal ballistics
Recoil - if you can't deal with a shotgun that's unfortunate, honestly. Some may not want to when they don't have too, simple as that. Better options are available if they don't have to use a shotgun. Shotguns take more training to become proficient, not everyone is a 3gunner and anything greater then 2 3/4" is way too punishing on the shooter to manage in a close on shooting where multiple attackers nay be present. How much spread will you get at 21 feet…
Clearing - I guess AR but see reliability. yes, see reliability, short stroke an 870…
Reload - yea AR. Being able to put hundreds of rounds down range that quick is awesome, but that  doesn't always equal lethality. uhm, I don't think you understand what you just wrote…
Over penetration - is there anything better than shotgun? so you do realize that any effective load out of any gun will penetrate more then 12" and has potential to over penetrate. Buckshot will over penetrate, 9mm, 1oz slugs and even .223/5.56. The 5.56 may deflect and lose energy more so after penetration over the others, see terminal ballistics
Short range accuracy - onviously skill decides but I think all things equal shotgun no brainier. Give me a target and I'll hit it, all of it. foolish statement, again, how much spread are you getting at 21 feet and closer with defense load? I hope you are using flight control as well. You not hit all of it. You will hit in a tight pattern where you aimed it…
Accessories - light and sling, done. ok, I can't argue that one
Safe storage - what? again, no difference in this as well
Accurate long range - better than you think. Rifled 20 gauge semi auto. Good enough. now this is really dependent on the shotgun and load with slugs but only to the point that, yes, with the right load, sights and shotgun you may be able to a man sized target at 100 yards or so but no much else. To say that it even comes remotely close to any rifle is simply foolish
Body armor - anything high power and velocity. Straight physics here, but you can't cover everything. can't say much because I've never paid much attention to ballistics against armor…

Allow me to add...

Thank-you for doing what i was too lazy to
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me clearly not smart, as you suggest above, but something about the ability to hit multiple fast moving tiny targets in a very short span of time sounds like it might come in handy in a self defense situation.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 5:11:25 PM EDT
[#6]
It would have in this movie...

I saw the end though. Home defender guy had a SBR.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 5:42:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Me clearly not smart, as you suggest above, but something about the ability to hit multiple fast moving tiny targets in a very short span of time sounds like it might come in handy in a self defense situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you shot skeet using a pump action shotgun, buckshot, and a 18.5" or 20" barrel
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Have you shot skeet using a pump action shotgun, buckshot, and a 18.5" or 20" barrel
View Quote

Yes, and a semi-auto with an 18.5" barrel and a red dot sight. It works great. The red dot sight takes getting used to, but once you're used to it, it works better than pointing for some people.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 7:42:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Wait a minute here. Are you saying you've seen too many AR's malfunction due to residue from shooting? You reference DI guns, I can only assume you mean AR's.

Look I like shotguns too, they have their place regardless of what the haters say. In reality it doesn't matter what a person chooses if they don't train with it. A chump with an AR will still get owned by a pro with a shotgun... Point is, you got to train with it regardless of what "it" is. A shotgun guy is gonna have to train harder IMO then the AR guy and the shotgun guy will always be at a disadvantage in most circumstances.

But to say AR's are choking is fucking stupid... Look up Pat Rogers and his dirty dozen or Vuuwarpen blog and read up on his test. AR's are very reliable and fairly self limiting in buildup inside the receiver.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rifles are better at getting game over 100 yards, Has better capacity, lighter weight, faster follow up shots, better armor penetration, etc

If you think that there is nothing a rifle can do that a shotgun can, you need to think a bit harder

if shotguns are so much better, how come more leos ditching them for rifles?

1) we aren't  discussing hunting
2) a limited platform forces you TO think rather than just shoot. And you should be thinking harder and smarter.
3) a few more videos of police unleashing carbine rounds in crowded intersections at suspected vehicles will likely force departments to review decisions to allow the "patrol carbine" anyhow. Many agencies are already reviewing this in light of criticism of the "militarization"  of department  officers.
4) if you are facing armored opponents then the SHTF and you already have a carbine as backup right?

We are talking about how "versatile" shotguns are, so yeah, bringing up hunting and armored targets is more than fair

"A limited platform forces you to think rather than just shoot" lol, not even close

To your point 3,

Why would i carry a shotgun any way, if i can carry a rifle that; has better capacity, lighter ammo, faster reloads, better performance past 100 yards, and is easier to keep ob target?

Why would i carry  2 long guns?

Yeah you're right of course. I'm  just throwing up strawmen because I've never really liked AR's. Piston guns are ok but I've seen way too many DI guns choke on their own shit.

Wait a minute here. Are you saying you've seen too many AR's malfunction due to residue from shooting? You reference DI guns, I can only assume you mean AR's.

Look I like shotguns too, they have their place regardless of what the haters say. In reality it doesn't matter what a person chooses if they don't train with it. A chump with an AR will still get owned by a pro with a shotgun... Point is, you got to train with it regardless of what "it" is. A shotgun guy is gonna have to train harder IMO then the AR guy and the shotgun guy will always be at a disadvantage in most circumstances.

But to say AR's are choking is fucking stupid... Look up Pat Rogers and his dirty dozen or Vuuwarpen blog and read up on his test. AR's are very reliable and fairly self limiting in buildup inside the receiver.

Dude, I love AR's as much as the next guy but stop. Just stop. Anyone who's taken even a civi three day carbine class knows they break left, right, and center. You guys that get a super hard on the very second someone even hints that AR's aren't super reliable seem like the guys who have short man syndrome trying to insist they don't have short man syndrome.  lol
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 7:45:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A real life scenario where a shotgun fails at close range is a dog pack.  When you are on the ground and you have 2 dozen dogs moving near you, 4+1, even 7+1 does not give you a warm fuzzy about starting a fight you can't finish.  Even if your own dog is now in pieces.  You can't load another 7 rounds in the tube as fast as you can another 30 round mag.  You may not even need a second mag but you will run the shotgun empty in 2-3 seconds.  I would rather have a hi cap handgun and extra mags then a typical HD shotgun.

You can fabricate a shit ton of scenarios that prove your point, no matter what it is.  I have often used an 870 to best shooters using M4's, M2's, 1100's and others on steel, shooting against the clock.  I am more then comfortable with my shotgun skills and that is how I started life as a shooter.  The day I stepped in to that dog pack holding an 870, I also learned shotguns don't do it all.  I unassed myself from that situation and spent the entire winter, with a rifle, killing those dogs.
View Quote

No way. You're out of your mind if you think an AR is better against groups than a shot gun. I mean, this comment is so far out there it almost doesn't Merritt a response. Not to mention there are ways on making a shotgun hold more.

And all one needs is a properly running Saiga 12 with MD-20's and you will fear nothing but snipers.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 7:49:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah that how it works. he's 99 yards away good to go. But if he steps back 2 yards. I better run and hope for the best. I'll remember that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You really can't think of a situation where you might need to shoot over a hundred yards to protect yourself or others ?

By the way the definition of murder is killing a innocent person that has shown no aggression to you. Range that is happens is not a consideration. same as defending yourself.

Face it if it's 100yd Or more engagement  a jury is going to be listening very closely to your explanation  (raised by cross examination questioning of course) as to why you chose to fight rather than un-ass yourself. And the courts have a few iterations of the definition of murder. My father always told me that if I was not a member of a rifle company, and I was not so obligated to stay and fight that anything outside of shotgun range was a good indicator to break contact and move out in the opposite direction. This from a man who had actually been shot at from some range in conflict and by poachers in civilian life both while armed himself.

Yeah that how it works. he's 99 yards away good to go. But if he steps back 2 yards. I better run and hope for the best. I'll remember that.

Oh cmon. How many civi's have gotten into altercations at 100 yards?  Less than 1% I'd bet. So just stop with this.

Man the Internet is a great place to showcase the ultimate almost never happen what if scenario and then have it used in a argument like it occurs every day to people and twice on Sunday.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 7:55:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

There was a case in Texas just a couple of years ago where a lone police officer was pinned down behind cover by a guy with a rifle IIRC.

A man with a .44 magnum revolver flanked the perp and ended the threat from over 100 yds away.

Plenty of situations you can find yourself in where 100+ yard shots might be necessary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You really can't think of a situation where you might need to shoot over a hundred yards to protect yourself or others ?

By the way the definition of murder is killing a innocent person that has shown no aggression to you. Range that is happens is not a consideration. same as defending yourself.

Face it if it's 100yd Or more engagement  a jury is going to be listening very closely to your explanation  (raised by cross examination questioning of course) as to why you chose to fight rather than un-ass yourself. And the courts have a few iterations of the definition of murder. My father always told me that if I was not a member of a rifle company, and I was not so obligated to stay and fight that anything outside of shotgun range was a good indicator to break contact and move out in the opposite direction. This from a man who had actually been shot at from some range in conflict and by poachers in civilian life both while armed himself.

There was a case in Texas just a couple of years ago where a lone police officer was pinned down behind cover by a guy with a rifle IIRC.

A man with a .44 magnum revolver flanked the perp and ended the threat from over 100 yds away.

Plenty of situations you can find yourself in where 100+ yard shots might be necessary.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. So ONE instance, what, every ten years if not more us "plenty" to you?  Hilarious. Absolutely hilarious.  E
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 8:00:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No way. You're out of your mind if you think an AR is better against groups than a shot gun. I mean, this comment is so far out there it almost doesn't Merritt a response. Not to mention there are ways on making a shotgun hold more.

And all one needs is a properly running Saiga 12 with MD-20's and you will fear nothing but snipers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A real life scenario where a shotgun fails at close range is a dog pack.  When you are on the ground and you have 2 dozen dogs moving near you, 4+1, even 7+1 does not give you a warm fuzzy about starting a fight you can't finish.  Even if your own dog is now in pieces.  You can't load another 7 rounds in the tube as fast as you can another 30 round mag.  You may not even need a second mag but you will run the shotgun empty in 2-3 seconds.  I would rather have a hi cap handgun and extra mags then a typical HD shotgun.

You can fabricate a shit ton of scenarios that prove your point, no matter what it is.  I have often used an 870 to best shooters using M4's, M2's, 1100's and others on steel, shooting against the clock.  I am more then comfortable with my shotgun skills and that is how I started life as a shooter.  The day I stepped in to that dog pack holding an 870, I also learned shotguns don't do it all.  I unassed myself from that situation and spent the entire winter, with a rifle, killing those dogs.

lol hey I think you missed that thread. Yeah, it's only a matter of degree though right
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure...
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 3:29:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 3:45:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

lol hey I think you missed that thread. Yeah, it's only a matter of degree though right
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Batshit Scenario strikes again.

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 10:59:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So how many dog packs have you dealt with, alone, open ground, in the real world?

How many miles have you walked with any Saiga, let alone one with a 20 rd drum and let's say just one or two 10rd mags on you.

It's easy to talk shit when you have not done it.  Dog packs don't operate like the ones you see in your mind.  Neither do wolves.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 11:12:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Dude, I love AR's as much as the next guy but stop. Just stop. Anyone who's taken even a civi three day carbine class knows they break left, right, and center. You guys that get a super hard on the very second someone even hints that AR's aren't super reliable seem like the guys who have short man syndrome trying to insist they don't have short man syndrome.  lol
View Quote

Do you have any idea how popular ar's are?

Do you know how huge the variation of quality parts is?

tell me, which rifle has the longest service record?

You really shouldn't speak on topics you have no clue about
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Repeat as necessary x 8 from semiauto tactical 12 gauge.  Problem likely solved with first trigger pull, but multiple intruders may be engaged effectively.

With Flight Control you aim, not merely point.  3"x4" fist size group.  Over 2,000 ft. lbs. of energy per trigger pull.

And all 9 pellets in approx. 10"x10" at 50 yards.

The shotgun used for groups above.  Tactical conversion Remington 1100 with 21" improved cylinder barrel and rifle sights.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top