Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2015 5:35:50 PM EDT
When it comes to buying a gun, I am very much a minimalist.  I have one handgun, one hunting rifle, and one AR.  It is now time to add a shotgun to the mix.  I want to be able to hunt dove, quail, and turkey with it.  Barrel length?  I am a Remington fan.  If I get an 870, can I get other barrels for it.  I was thinking maybe the 887 camo combo?  22" and 28".  I am open to any suggestion, so let's hear them.  Thanks
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I grew up on Browning auto's and never changed. They have severed me well.

If Turkey's are in question I would definitely get something 3.5" capable (They are BADD)

It is hard to beat an 870 for what ever purpose.

Good luck!

HW

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 6:14:55 PM EDT
[#2]
What's your budget?  Personally I like the Benelli Nova over the 870 in pump guns.   Others like Mossberg.  For dove or quail I'd maybe look at an auto for quicker follow up shots.  The sky is the limit there.  I'm not a big believer in the 3 1/2 inch guns.  Lots of turkeys have been killed but three inchers.  Lots have been killed with 2 3/4 shells.  The 3 1/2 guns always seem to big and clunky to me, especially if you're also looking at dove and quail.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 with both a 28" barrel and 18-20" barrel. There have been reports of a decline in Remington's quality after being acquired by the Freedom Group.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:58:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I will stray from conventional wisdom, get a 20 ga o/u.  I shot 2 turkey loads out of my 3.5" mag and never did that again, I might still have the other 3 rounds some where.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:24:53 PM EDT
[#5]
After researching many guns, I made my choice.  I got a Benelli Nova 12ga. w/26" barrel.  I can add a 2" extended choke if I need a longer barrel.  I can shoot 2 3/4, 3, and 3 1/2" shells.  It is weather resistant, high quality, and very reliable.  I think it will do everything I need at a price point under $550 OTD.  Thanks for your input, I greatly appreciate it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top