Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 17
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:14:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I still have 5 or 6 sets of parts left. I just decided not to sell them because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with them. I had about 20 left a few months ago but slowly have been saying yes to people who were nice that wanted conversions.

I have considered buying factory AOW Mossberg 590s and just parting them out but I don't feel like there would be any profit in it (or demand).

Are people still even wanting to build these guns? I was building 20-30 a month last yr but I thought the demand had tapered off.

View Quote

I'd love to build one!  But a factory AOW may be cheaper and easier at this point.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:55:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I wasn't building the Non NFA but I was going to form 1 a 590 and swap the front end.  Now I will probably be cutting the 18" barrel down to match the regular mag tube.  It sucks that Mossberg did this.  I even asked if they would sell me the kit with an approved form1 and they said no.
View Quote

I am an 07 and can legally manufacture AOWs and SBSs and they won't sell them to me either.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:59:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'd love to build one!  But a factory AOW may be cheaper and easier at this point.
View Quote

And that is why I am on the fence about bothering. The factory AOWs cost me nearly 500 dollars, so it becomes a question of how much can I get out of the parts. Most likely I will sell the front ends easily if I sell them cheap and then have a pile of parts left over that have no real demand and be in the whole.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 12:44:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I made one the legal way.  I hoped they would change their mind.  Mine is about 1" longer than if I could have bought it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I made one the legal way.  I hoped they would change their mind.  Mine is about 1" longer than if I could have bought it.
View Quote

The legal way is the only way we make things
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:21:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ordered.

I'm going off this list:

13488          Tube Nut 500A/835                                      
   11239P         M590/835 Mag Cap Parkerized                
   12410P         Magtube M514 Parkerized                          
   12392P         Magazine Spring Retainer 590/835 Parkerized    
   12194          Spring, Magazine 835                                    
   12359           Forearm, M514                                          
   16033P         Bbl Asm 514Bead Hvy/w Parkerized            
   12362P         Action Slide Asm 500/514 Parkerized              

Brownells has everything except the magtube and the mag spring retainer. Does anyone know of a source for those?

ETA: I have a stamp in hand and am converting an 18.5" 500 to SBS. Is the mag spring retainer the same and can it be reused? Also can the 500's magtube be cut down and re-used?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank god Brazzers showed up to enlighten us on that.  

I sold my 14" project locally to fund a Benelli purchase, but, I found a vendor who has Factory take-off 14" barrels HERE.

Ordered.

I'm going off this list:

13488          Tube Nut 500A/835                                      
   11239P         M590/835 Mag Cap Parkerized                
   12410P         Magtube M514 Parkerized                          
   12392P         Magazine Spring Retainer 590/835 Parkerized    
   12194          Spring, Magazine 835                                    
   12359           Forearm, M514                                          
   16033P         Bbl Asm 514Bead Hvy/w Parkerized            
   12362P         Action Slide Asm 500/514 Parkerized              

Brownells has everything except the magtube and the mag spring retainer. Does anyone know of a source for those?

ETA: I have a stamp in hand and am converting an 18.5" 500 to SBS. Is the mag spring retainer the same and can it be reused? Also can the 500's magtube be cut down and re-used?

I ended up ordering the magtube and mag spring retainer directly from Mossberg right after posting this. They just got here a couple days ago. Their customer service is a huge pain to deal with and really poor communication. All that aside, they had no qualms selling me the magtube, so I'm assuming they're only opposed to selling the barrels. Aimpro still has barrels listed on their site at the link above.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#8]
That's what I used to make my own.  Bought the pistol grip version so that it starts and stays as a pistol grip shotgun.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's what I used to make my own.  Bought the pistol grip version so that it starts and stays as a pistol grip shotgun.

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy77/tjk45rocket/DSC00353.jpg
View Quote

That's sexy as hell!
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Mossberg has resumed civilian sales of 14" frontends as of late October, according to Shockwave Technologies! User comments on their phone ordering guide appear to confirm.

Didn't notice until I finished sourcing parts for a Remington 870 conversion
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 4:26:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Mossberg has resumed civilian sales of 14" frontends as of late October, according to Shockwave Technologies! User comments on their phone ordering guide appear to confirm.

View Quote

GREAT NEWS!

ETA: el linko
http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=2874
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 2:43:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I need one of these.
But, I gotta make mine with old school wood.  
Anybody have a source for wood birdshead grips?
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I need one of these.
But, I gotta make mine with old school wood.  
Anybody have a source for wood birdshead grips?
View Quote

Make one from a cheap stock.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 2:50:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

GREAT NEWS!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GREAT NEWS!

I sold my 14" parts locally when Mossberg cut off 14" part sales ...looks like that non-nfa project might be resurrected!
It's good Mossberg got smart and started selling 14" parts again.
It's high time we get to take advantage of all the BS legalities the ATF has put in place.  
They should have defined a PGO Shotguns as shotguns if they didn't wants us building these!
Reap it!
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't worry, all pgo not-shotguns will be dd's soon enough . . .
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 10:05:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Don't worry, all pgo not-shotguns will be dd's soon enough . . .
View Quote

The ATF wouldn't Be able to hire enough staff if 10% of owners would comply with an amnesty registration.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 11:57:09 PM EDT
[#17]
So-
Are these still legal ? Can these still be purchased??
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 1:31:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Shock wave technologies has the 14" kits for the mossberg back in stock!  Time to get your non nfa shotgun parts or do what I am fixing to and form 1 a regular 500 and have a nice sbs.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:34:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Shock wave technologies has the 14" kits for the mossberg back in stock!  Time to get your non nfa shotgun parts or do what I am fixing to and form 1 a regular 500 and have a nice sbs.
View Quote

I tried to resist, I really did...
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I tried to also but I couldnt now to find a mossberg jic in all matte black finish.  I think I found one just gotta call and order it now!
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:38:17 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Anyone know where this rebate can be had? Searched at Remington, no dice.

Looking for a smoking deal on a Mossberg 500 pgo in matte finish or a Remington 870 PGO matte finish.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I really hate you people. I have absolutely NO need for a non-NFA 14 inch 500; I really don't even like PGO shotguns.  
<sigh>
Shockwave shipped my kit quickly and packed it well. Good people.
Surprisingly, the local Academy not only had a couple of JIC 500s in stock, the counter guy knew exactly how to transfer it, and even mentioned replacing the PG with a Shockwave grip for greater comfort.
Now, to get that mag tube out without buggering up either it or the receiver.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here's a dude discussing a technique for removing thread lock on CZ Scorpions:
uncure locktight threads
Just don't hate me when you buy a Scorpion too.
Yeah you need one.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:08:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

uncure locktight threads
Yeah you need one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

uncure locktight threads
Yeah you need one.

Thank you!!
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#25]
just throwing this out there for comparison. I assembled this with a Maverick 88 and a damaged 500 barrel that I cut down to 18.25" (I used the Maverick barrel with full rib and accu-choke to fix up the 500)

The Streamlight flashlight/laser combo is a nice fit in this application. I have the laser zeroed at 15 yards.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:21:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
just throwing this out there for comparison. I assembled this with a Maverick 88 and a damaged 500 barrel that I cut down to 18.25" (I used the Maverick barrel with full rib and accu-choke to fix up the 500)
http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m520/makarov10/IMG_1037_zpseebktx2t.jpg

The Streamlight flashlight/laser combo is a nice fit in this application. I have the laser zeroed at 15 yards.
View Quote

Nice, I like that.  I put the shockwave grip on my Moss 500 18" with ventilated rib, I think it looks pretty sweet.  I still wish it was a PGO I could stick a 14" front end on though.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:24:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Nice, I like that.  I put the shockwave grip on my Moss 500 18" with ventilated rib, I think it looks pretty sweet. I still wish it was a PGO I could stick a 14" front end on though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m520/makarov10/IMG_1037_zpseebktx2t.jpg

Nice, I like that.  I put the shockwave grip on my Moss 500 18" with ventilated rib, I think it looks pretty sweet. I still wish it was a PGO I could stick a 14" front end on though.

No doubt, me too.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, just ordered a 14" front end from Mossberg. Would be much simpler if I could have done it on the website.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Well, just ordered a 14" front end from Mossberg. Would be much simpler if I could have done it on the website.
View Quote

What?  Where are they in stock?

ETA: oh I guess you have to call Mossberg to order it?  How much shipped?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:48:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Came out to $260 shipped. Yeah, you have to call them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#31]
PGO Mossberg shottie for $315

http://www.quanticotactical.com/asp/itemDetail.asp?dispItemNum=3392&type=C&subCatNum=34&CMN=Shotguns

ETA: looks like the price is $300 now
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:56:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Anyone know who to contact to confirm whether state laws agree with federal on these? I tried IA Dept of public safety and got a "this falls outside our area of expertise" answer. All I can find in IA weapon laws says short barreled shotguns are illegal, but nothing on "shotguns that aren't shotguns".

That, and why do PGO shotguns tend to bring more money than the same model with a stock and bird barrel? I would think a 500 is a 500, barring things like sights, optics and finish upgrades.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:33:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Has anyone asked if you can order the 14" ghost ring sight front end?
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 6:27:35 PM EDT
[#34]
So to make sure I got this covered. to make one of the non nfa firearms this combo will work

Mossberg part# 92514 Aprox  $ 215 shipped.
MAV M88 CRUISER 12M/20CB PG 20" barrel  from galeryofguns $267.14 total shipped to my local dealer
Raptor shockwave birds head.  $29

Buds has the front end kit for sale at 204 + the ride
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/712012558

cheaperthandirt also has them but I dont care for them.

And when I am done I should have a full heat shield,Barrel, and front end for the Mav I may be able to resell

thanks

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 9:01:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

uncure locktight threads
Yeah you need one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

uncure locktight threads
Yeah you need one.

This stuff did absolutely nothing for me. I ended up using a heat gun and a block of wood in the receiver and was able to turn the mag tube by hand.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 10:34:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I did 2 years ago when I built mine. I can't recall how much extra it was,  but it wasn't that much if I can't remember.  

Of course, it's mainly for looks.  Better practice with it before you line your eye up to the ghost ring.

<a href="http://s156.photobucket.com/user/AJ_Dual/media/20140816_131808_zpsczyr9sq2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t33/AJ_Dual/20140816_131808_zpsczyr9sq2.jpg</a>

I just need to figure out how to cut down the heat shield.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has anyone asked if you can order the 14" ghost ring sight front end?

I did 2 years ago when I built mine. I can't recall how much extra it was,  but it wasn't that much if I can't remember.  

Of course, it's mainly for looks.  Better practice with it before you line your eye up to the ghost ring.

<a href="http://s156.photobucket.com/user/AJ_Dual/media/20140816_131808_zpsczyr9sq2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t33/AJ_Dual/20140816_131808_zpsczyr9sq2.jpg</a>

I just need to figure out how to cut down the heat shield.

Awesome thanks! I'm not really a fan of heat shields so that won't be a problem. Just wanting to have the front end on hand for a Form 1 build before July.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm tempted of making my own 14" shotgun using the shockwave lug and grip for the Mossbergs. Should I use a maverick 88 or Mossberg 500 pgo firearm?
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 8:23:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm tempted of making my own 14" shotgun using the shockwave lug and grip for the Mossbergs. Should I use a maverick 88 or Mossberg 500 pgo firearm?
View Quote

Either would work fine so long as it's pistol grip only from the factory. I went with a Mossberg because I wanted the matte black finish and black bolt.

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 8:53:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That is probably what I'll do with it too once I'm done playing with it as a PGO with the Shockwave birds-head grip on it. What stock are you going to use?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome thanks! I'm not really a fan of heat shields so that won't be a problem. Just wanting to have the front end on hand for a Form 1 build before July.

That is probably what I'll do with it too once I'm done playing with it as a PGO with the Shockwave birds-head grip on it. What stock are you going to use?

Probably just factory speedfeed or magpul one. I'm gonna give it until April in hopes of finding a police trade in 14" with ghost rings then I'll just make one.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 1:14:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

835. PGO, short barrel, 3 1/2" magnum. Post video. You'll probably look like this
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 1:25:57 AM EDT
[#44]
So...United States v. Thompson-Center Arms Co. doesn't apply to a PG firearm?  

If a pistol can be converted to a carbine, and back, shouldn't a PG firearm be convertible to a shotgun (stock + 18.5" barrel) and back?

Or would it take another court case to settle that?
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 11:55:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Follow-up to my own post... I figured out that even if you cut it down, the 590 heat shield won't fit or work with a 14" barrel, the front end is made for the taper of an 18-20" barrel, and the forward tab with the two bolts is going to block the fore-end from cycling all the way forward and closing the bolt. Also, the two bolt-holes in the heat shield's front tabs are partially blocked by the barrel itself if you can get it on there.

There is a company that can do a 14" heat shield, but I don't know if it'll fit a ghost-ring/rifle blade front sight barrel. They charge $158, and need to get your barrel, because they need to tap the sides of the magazine tube retainer ring on the barrel to make a mounting point for the reasons I discovered above.
View Quote

To add to this information. If you have the Surefire 621 forearm there is no gap at all between the forearm and the barrel lug. The forearm covers nearly half of the lug so any drilling and tapping of the lug may want to take this into consideration to avoid interference.

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don not believe the Maverick 88 is offered as a from the factory PGO. Such a model is not listed on their website. In that case using a NON-PGO as a host gun would require a tax stamp before you went to anything with a barrel length of less than 18'.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#47]

gallery of guns has them item #31091
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:29:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If a pistol can be converted to a carbine, and back, shouldn't a PG firearm be convertible to a shotgun (stock + 18.5" barrel) and back?

View Quote

Very interesting idea-common sense would say if you change parts in the right order and never have the stock and short barrel installed at the same time you've got nothing to worry about based on the TC precedent, but ATF isn't exactly known for exercising common sense.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 7:01:04 AM EDT
[#49]
and if the ATF is watching you close enough to know you are swapping barrels and stocks on a shotgun well you have bigger problems coming soon.

Quoted:

Very interesting idea-common sense would say if you change parts in the right order and never have the stock and short barrel installed at the same time you've got nothing to worry about based on the TC precedent, but ATF isn't exactly known for exercising common sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 9:29:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Would this also mean that any shotgun could legally be converted to a 14" barreled version with shockwave grip, not just a PGO shotgun?
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top