Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 17
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:33:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Found a cheap violin case at a local antique store today-fits the Shockwave great. Need to buy some felt to re-line it and plan to add some wood spacers to the butt end for ammo carriers(planning to make a compartment with holes drilled, to hold individual shotshells without the boxes. May use some type of existing ammo carrier and fit that though).

Then I decided to add my machete to the top part of the case because why not?

Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:41:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Works great! Just eyeballing it in the house and it looks like it's on the money without even adjusting the W/E on it. The dot is bright as Hell and about the size of a quarter. I'm able to thumb activate it just by stretching past the safety. I hope like Hell it stands up to the recoil because I really dig this!
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:33:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I did notice that it is not as bright as I remember. What I remembered was that shining it on the white ceiling would make the whole room glow green. Pointing it in other places does not produce the same effect. Still damn cool though and cuts out the guesswork. 
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:58:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Still.....
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Works great! Just eyeballing it in the house and it looks like it's on the money without even adjusting the W/E on it. The dot is bright as Hell and about the size of a quarter. I'm able to thumb activate it just by stretching past the safety. I hope like Hell it stands up to the recoil because I really dig this!http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o529/sixnine2/20170714_212747.jpghttp://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o529/sixnine2/20170714_212807.jpg
View Quote
Love the stipple job. How many hours do you have invested in that?  Did you use a soldering iron or a purpose built stipple rig?
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:46:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe one hour?  Bought a hobby burner from Menards that came with different tips. Practiced on an old plastic pistol case til I found a texture I liked then started on the grip. I used scotch tape to mark the boundary lines then stippled along the tape. If you touch the tape it just melts in. Then I peeled the tape and tried my best to make uniform lines from side to side.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:40:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Got to the range to try the laser out yesterday. About half dozen slugs and 3 or 4 00. Sight didn't wander off zero so I'm happy as Hell!
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:17:02 PM EDT
[#8]
LGS called today and said the marinecote version is shipping.  I should have mine next week.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:58:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Took my Shockwave out for the first time and I love this thing!!  Recoil isn't bad at all (only was shooting bird shot) and my 7yo was emptying the tube with my help with no complaints.  Great firearm for sure!  Home run mossberg!
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:21:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Took my Shockwave out for the first time and I love this thing!!  Recoil isn't bad at all (only was shooting bird shot) and my 7yo was emptying the tube with my help with no complaints.  Great firearm for sure!  Home run mossberg!
View Quote
It's not bad shooting light buckshot either. Walmart has Suprema buckshot at $9.97 for 25 rounds. It's not Flite Control by any means but serves the purpose for use as practice/blasting  ammo. Seems loaded about as hot as a mid-level bird load, definitely not labeled as a magnum, and I'm sure it's not. Like I said, great for recreational use or vermin eradication. Have only shot one box so not sure how it is for use "when it matters".
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 5:02:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I have had multiple people email me asking for em to send them the photos of the modification process in my thread from three years ago.  The photos are being held hostage now wanting $35 a month but if you just do an image search they should all appear in the search results.  Just look for the orange ones.

Brazos609+Mossberg+MOE
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 12:41:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have had multiple people email me asking for em to send them the photos of the modification process in my thread from three years ago.  The photos are being held hostage now wanting $35 a month but if you just do an image search they should all appear in the search results.  Just look for the orange ones.

Brazos609+Mossberg+MOE
View Quote
I look forward to trying this in the next week or two.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 12:01:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Got my marinecote version.

Every place seems to be sold out of the mini shells.  Where can I get them?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:26:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Got my marinecote version.

Every place seems to be sold out of the mini shells.  Where can I get them?
View Quote
Can you post a pic please, I havent seen that variant.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Can you post a pic please, I havent seen that variant.
View Quote
I was at my gunsmith's yesterday. He just got in a few. I am thinking I might have to grab one.

Attachment Attached File

Not my photo.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Still don't understand why it is only the receiver that is coated.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:57:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
That confounds me too.  Since the survival version has the barrel and tube coated.  I'll have to find a matching cerakote color and get that taken care of.

@Slimjim sorry bout that, didn't get pictures taken.  But it look exactly like the one posted.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:02:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Laziness....

They have one line for this. To finish the barrels, etc... would take up time. Easier just to get virgin receivers from the marine line and slap it together. 
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 5:01:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Marine NP3 coating is what it is as far as I knew for the finish. it shouldn't cost much to send barrel and magazine tube in to be made to match.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 5:46:21 AM EDT
[#20]
If you have to do that its going to be about the same cost if you just send your receiver too and get a definite match.

Quoted:
Marine NP3 coating is what it is as far as I knew for the finish. it shouldn't cost much to send barrel and magazine tube in to be made to match.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Has anyone tried a Vang Comp +1 on theirs?
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Has anyone tried a Vang Comp +1 on theirs?
View Quote
I use a +1 s&j Hardware on my 18" 590a1and think it's pretty much grunt proof.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:36:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you have to do that its going to be about the same cost if you just send your receiver too and get a definite match.
View Quote
You are probably correct, I saw the other day they are doing this with the Mossberg 590a1 marine version is only a receiver with the NP3 coating. I don't get it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:14:49 PM EDT
[#24]
How long is it? I'm trying to figure out if it will break even with the barrel or how far it goes past.
ETA: Never heard of S&J and didn't pop up on Google when I was looking, thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 12:20:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How long is it? I'm trying to figure out if it will break even with the barrel or how far it goes past.
ETA: Never heard of S&J and didn't pop up on Google when I was looking, thanks for the tip!
View Quote
Really well made. I got mine from eBay and it's missing the retaining clip so I used wire to keep the sling plate on.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 12:01:10 AM EDT
[#26]
You have a conversion Shockwave right? Kit built not an off the shelf? I measured mine and it looks like 1.5" breaks even. The S&J is 2.75" and would be about 1.25" past the barrel (on my factory model). I'm waiting to hear back from Nordic components about their extension. Their extension nut might be long enough by itself then I would just have to cap it somehow.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 12:39:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You are probably correct, I saw the other day they are doing this with the Mossberg 590a1 marine version is only a receiver with the NP3 coating. I don't get it.
View Quote
Winchester did similar years ago with one version of the 1300. All weather on the receiver(silver color), blued steel parts.  Add me to the list of "not getting it". Why put the coating on the part that needs it the least?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 5:58:08 AM EDT
[#28]
It all boils down to if they build it people will buy it.

Quoted:

Winchester did similar years ago with one version of the 1300. All weather on the receiver(silver color), blued steel parts.  Add me to the list of "not getting it". Why put the coating on the part that needs it the least?
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:53:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You have a conversion Shockwave right? Kit built not an off the shelf? I measured mine and it looks like 1.5" breaks even. The S&J is 2.75" and would be about 1.25" past the barrel (on my factory model). I'm waiting to hear back from Nordic components about their extension. Their extension nut might be long enough by itself then I would just have to cap it somehow.
View Quote
That pic is of a full stocked 18.5" barrel 590a1.

The conversion I did won't allow extensions
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 9:53:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Still waiting to hear back from Vang Comp and Nordic about the length of their extensions. Enough inquiries will eventually result in new products.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#31]
The Vang Comp is 2.25". That puts the tube about three quarters of inch  past the barrel. I'm not sure if that'll stick out far enough to bug me or not.
ETA: Nordic can eat a dick since they haven't bothered returning my emails, Brownell's emailed me the information about 10 minutes after I sent the inquiry and they said it was just under 2.5". This makes Vang Comp the winner.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 3:56:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Well it looks good, but I cant get that 6th shell in the tube. I'm not sure if it's hanging up on something but damn. I'll play with it and see if it allows an extra 3" or if another brand shell will fit any different but as much as I like the look $75 is a lot not to get that +1. I've got two other Mossbergs it can go on but damn I had my hopes up. At least nobody else will waste $75 on this.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o529/sixnine2/20170810_143409.jpgWell it looks good, but I cant get that 6th shell in the tube. I'm not sure if it's hanging up on something but damn. I'll play with it and see if it allows an extra 3" or if another brand shell will fit any different but as much as I like the look $75 is a lot not to get that +1. I've got two other Mossbergs it can go on but damn I had my hopes up. At least nobody else will waste $75 on this.
View Quote
Which follower are you using? Which shells?
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 2:19:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Well it looks good, but I cant get that 6th shell in the tube. I'm not sure if it's hanging up on something but damn. I'll play with it and see if it allows an extra 3" or if another brand shell will fit any different but s much as I like the look $75 is a lot not to get that +1. I've got two other Mossbergs it can go on but damn I had my hopes up. At least nobody else will waste $75 on this.
View Quote
sixnine, Are you trying to get 6, 3" shells in the Mag Tube, Or 6. 2&3/4" shells in the Mag Tube, WITH the 1 Shot (2.25") Extension on?

I was under the impression that the Mossberg Shockwave was supposed to be able to get the following in the Standard Mag Tube;

5- 2&3/4" Shells
4- 3" Shells
8 Aguila Mini-Shells

Please let me know if I'm wrong.

Even by adding the 2.25" Extension on the Mag Tube, I Do Not see where you would be able to squeeze 6 3" shells into the Mag Tube,
and even the 6th 2&3/4" shell would be tight.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

sixnine, Are you trying to get 6, 3" shells in the Mag Tube, Or 6. 2&3/4" shells in the Mag Tube, WITH the 1 Shot (2.25") Extension on?

I was under the impression that the Mossberg Shockwave was supposed to be able to get the following in the Standard Mag Tube;

5- 2&3/4" Shells
4- 3" Shells
8 Aguila Mini-Shells

Please let me know if I'm wrong.

Even by adding the 2.25" Extension on the Mag Tube, I Do Not see where you would be able to squeeze 6 3" shells into the Mag Tube,
and even the 6th 2&3/4" shell would be tight.
View Quote
It comes painfully close to accepting six 2.75's, in fact it will just barely take six shells of #8 birdshot but not 00. I can also now fit five 3" shells in the tube. So it increased the capacity of the weak loads and the capacity of the holy shit loads but not the useful ones.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:52:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It comes painfully close to accepting six 2.75's, in fact it will just barely take six shells of #8 birdshot but not 00. I can also now fit five 3" shells in the tube. So it increased the capacity of the weak loads and the capacity of the holy shit loads but not the useful ones.
View Quote
Try a different brand of 00 buck.

CD
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#37]
I went through my stash and found that the Remington, Federal, and Winchester loads were the same length. Herters and S&B have that weird disk thing in the end instead of a crimp and end up being as long as the crimped 3" loads. Just out of curiosity I grabbed six birdshot loads and they fit just fine. They appear to be about 2mm shorter than the buck loads and that adds up to 10 or 12mm in the tube which is just enough room to get that 6th shell in. I'll look for something shorter in the future but for now I'm stuck with what I got.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Anyone know the best way to mount a light on the Mossberg shockwave?
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
The GG&G one for a 590 works well for me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lightweight & low profile are more important to me than lumens. I have a GG&G modded Magpul forend on my Shockwave, and as soon as they arrive I'll be adding a short rail & 20 lumen MFT torch to the Magpul (although the Streamlight RM-1 has possibilities as well).
I'll post a pic here as soon as I can.

Tomac
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
I am using a CDM Gear MTRS mount then added a Gear Sector offset mount to that. I already had the Gear Sector mount and SF 6p. Using the Gear Sector mount raises the SF up so that I have full use of the entire forend and can still activate the light easily but not accidently. So far I like the set up.

Link Posted: 10/11/2017 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Laziness....

They have one line for this. To finish the barrels, etc... would take up time. Easier just to get virgin receivers from the marine line and slap it together. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Laziness....

That was my thought as well.  They'll probably update the SKU with a new price when they do it proper.
I'm Going to buy one of these for my BIL to keep on his boat when they get 100% marinecote.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:28:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Thoughts on adding a heat shield to the 590 (Shockwave).  I kind of like the look.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:19:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
With the GG&G modded Magpul forend, I added a short length of M-Lok rail and the 20 lumen MFT Torch. On paper, this works great as its low-profile, lightweight and the switch is easily accessed w/the support-side thumb.
In practice, though... Recoil kept painfully impacting the end of the light/rail onto the tip of my thumb.

So, switched the rail/light to the 3 o'clock side which eliminated painful boo-boos but made the switch more difficult to access.
As an experiment I replaced the MFT Torch w/a TLR-1 from one of my handguns and I was surprised at how easy it was to do both momentary & constant-on w/my middle finger yet it's nowhere near my fingers during recoil.

I may end up ditching the whole "lightweight/low-profile" thing and just go w/a TLR-1.

Tomac

ETA: GG&G is now further modding their Magpul forends to allow use of their light rail kit.

Shockwave w/MFT Torch at 9 o'clock before moving it to 3 o'clock:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#45]
I just got an email from Mossberg!

The 20 Gauge Shockwave is in Production!
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 4:08:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nice
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:26:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Anyone feeling generous enough to do a write up on how to install a heat shield on one of these??
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:33:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

With the GG&G modded Magpul forend, I added a short length of M-Lok rail and the 20 lumen MFT Torch. On paper, this works great as its low-profile, lightweight and the switch is easily accessed w/the support-side thumb.
In practice, though... Recoil kept painfully impacting the end of the light/rail onto the tip of my thumb.

So, switched the rail/light to the 3 o'clock side which eliminated painful boo-boos but made the switch more difficult to access.
As an experiment I replaced the MFT Torch w/a TLR-1 from one of my handguns and I was surprised at how easy it was to do both momentary & constant-on w/my middle finger yet it's nowhere near my fingers during recoil.

I may end up ditching the whole "lightweight/low-profile" thing and just go w/a TLR-1.

Tomac

ETA: GG&G is now further modding their Magpul forends to allow use of their light rail kit.

Shockwave w/MFT Torch at 9 o'clock before moving it to 3 o'clock:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1593/PA100004-333808.JPG
View Quote
Ended up moving the light/rail to the 3 o'clock position as recoil causes the light/rail to impact the tip of my support-side thumb. TLR-1 works well at 3 o'clock, I can easily manipulate the lever switch w/the middle finger of my support-side hand.

Tomac

ETA: This isn't critical, but does anyone make a +1 for the Mossberg that doesn't extend too far beyond the muzzle?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Nice
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice
It’s up on the Mossberg site...
http://www.mossberg.com/product/590-shockwave-6-shot-20-gauge/

It’s listed as a 590, I guess maybe it’s built around the 12g receiver?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 8:17:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Ended up moving the light/rail to the 3 o'clock position as recoil causes the light/rail to impact the tip of my support-side thumb. TLR-1 works well at 3 o'clock, I can easily manipulate the lever switch w/the middle finger of my support-side hand.

Tomac

ETA: This isn't critical, but does anyone make a +1 for the Mossberg that doesn't extend too far beyond the muzzle?
View Quote
I put a Vang Comp +1 on mine and it sticks out about three quarters of an inch past the barrel. Just one hitch, it will not accept an extra 2 and 3/4 buck shot shell. It will take 1 extra birdshot or slug and even 1 extra 3" shell, but not a 2 and 3/4 buck. The buck shells seem to be a millimeter or so longer and that is just enough to keep it from getting that extra shell out.
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top