Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2015 6:25:25 PM EDT
I've got an 870 I'm thinking of having rebuilt into a SBS clone of the USSS Remington 870s that were available a few years ago.

Does anyone know what the front and rear sights are on those guns and if/where I can get a set?  I've seen them just referred to as "Ghost Ring" sights, but I can't find any ghost ring sights that look like the USSS sights.

Images for reference:  http://imgur.com/a/LJYEq

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I have no help to offer but now I want to build one as well.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:34:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too!

Please post if you find where a source is -Thanks and good luck!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:13:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I would call Remington. If I remember correctly, these were built in-house by Remington for the USSS.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:45:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Those were made by Iron Sight Gun Works

A gunsmith named Jim Rock of RPM XL purchased that company
http://rpmxl1.com/ourproducts_page.htm

Does a 14 inch hog leg really need sights? Considering the recent USSS headlines, they probably need all the help they can get

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Of course a 14" shotgun needs sights. I can use mine accurately out to at least 100yds (longest I've tried) with slugs. Couldn't do that with a slick barrel.  Sights make it a much more versatile arm.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:13:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I can tell you that my USSS 870 is plenty accurate. So, whatever sights are them work mighty fine.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:31:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I put the Vang sights on a customers 12" 870 and they looked right on it.  Bolt on rear, silver soldered on front.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:17:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Of course a 14" shotgun needs sights. I can use mine accurately out to at least 100yds (longest I've tried) with slugs. Couldn't do that with a slick barrel.  Sights make it a much more versatile arm.
View Quote

I don't agree it would need sights. The SBS has minimal applications, and 100+ yard slug accuracy isn't one of them. A simple bead sight should prove sufficient.

But if the USSS spec'd this adjustable ghost ring, who am I to argue?

ETA: cmshoot, I read in another post you teach combat shotgun courses, so don't take my response as a personal affront. But you certainly understand the purpose a SBS serves!
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I know the purpose my SBS serves, and what I teach my students to do with it.

In my experience, the gunfight is what it is going to be......not what you want it to be, or what you equipped yourself for.  

If you can equip your SBS, for a very reasonable fee, with a set of rugged iron sights that will enable you to engage from point-blank to 100yds, why not do so?  Why limit your effectiveness to conversation distances only?

One of the main features of the shotgun that has kept it so popular is its ability to employ a wide array of ammunition.  They are devastating in close quarters, but they can be accurately utilized at further distances if properly equipped.

I was toting a Remington 870 in my first gunfight and have had a soft spot for them every since. Granted, it was a 20" USMC-issue Rem870, but it had rifle sights and I knew how to use them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:43:39 AM EDT
[#10]
It's easy to agree with that since this USSS version is equipped with a full stock.

But pistol-gripped whipit variations of SBS are surely not included.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:07:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Me too!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too!

Yep. I want to do it too. I might actually like my 870 again if I did this.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:01:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't agree it would need sights. The SBS has minimal applications, and 100+ yard slug accuracy isn't one of them. A simple bead sight should prove sufficient.
!
View Quote

100yd slugs are not an issue whatsoever with a 14" shotgun, nor are 150yd, even 200yd slugs.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:24:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't allow pistol grip-only shotguns in my courses.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:10:17 PM EDT
[#14]
CMShoot Thanks.

This thread makes me want to add these sights to one of my 870s...
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:47:11 PM EDT
[#15]
You're welcome.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

100yd slugs are not an issue whatsoever with a 14" shotgun, nor are 150yd, even 200yd slugs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

!

I have one of the USSS guns... the 14" barrel has a fixed mod choke.... it shoots slugs and buckshot very well... much tighter than an 18" cylinder-bore gun.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the replies.  Has anyone contacted RPM XL yet to see if they're making these sights at all?  If not then I'll drop them an e-mail.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:51:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I emailed them Friday, no reply yet.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 5:28:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't know if or when they switched but all the ones I have seen use LPA sights.

ETA...

They also have synthetic stocks vs. wood (as previously pictured) so maybe LPA are on the newer ones.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top