Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2015 6:13:17 PM EDT
I was offered one in a trade, got really excited then the guy backed out. (surprise, surprise )
But now I really want one. I know its not a combat ready gun but the bull-pup style, the dual magazines, and the ability to run 24 mini slugs? Seems like a pretty good deal to me.
If I do get a dud, which with Kel-Tec, is quite likley; my FFL said that if there is ever an issue with a gun they sold me, I could take it to them and they would deal with the customer service/ warranty from the manufacturer.

HOWEVER: shotguns were never really my thing. I live in the suburbs so 99% of the time, I'm just shooting at paper in a claustrophobic lane which I can barely fit into.

What says you guys.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:30:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Try shooting clays with it just one time.
I'd even try it with cylume tracer rounds just to see if it worked or not.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm assuming that it would be very difficult to shoot clays with this?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:01:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Kel tec made it
Shotguns are loud at indoor ranges
It is an expensive toy
A nice rifle could be had for the same price
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:12:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Theres guys who pheasant hunt with them. You'll obviously, like any shotgun, need the right choke tubes. They make adapters for the KSG where you can add winchester or remington chokes depending on which adapter you get.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Watch the nutnfancy video with the KSG and pay close attention to when Chad ( a Keltec Employee) experiences a double feed and A) does not know whats happened to the gun B) cannot unf#*k the gun fast enough to save his ass were that a Murphy call. That will show you what happens to guns based on the Remington 17/Ithaca 37 action. No chamber visibility and no  separate ejection port for clearing jams.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:34:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a Bronze KSG for a short time because, like you, I just couldn't get the idea out of my head.  I shot about 80 rounds on slugs, buckshot and birdshot through the gun.  This gun kicks HARD.  I have a Mossberg 500 and a 590 (both lighter than a fully loaded KSG) and the KSG had significantly more felt recoil.  Something else that was immediately noticeable is the ejected shells hitting me on the wrist . . . EVERY TIME I pumped the action.  This may not seem like a big deal at first, but after you put 50 shells through the gun it starts to sting a bit.  In the end I decided to stick with my Mossbergs and Benelli and got rid of the KSG, loosing a few hundred bucks in the process.  I would not recommend buying one.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:01:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Take a pressure treated 2×6, cut off 26" of it and screw a piece of closet rod to the bottom of it as a grip. Put two screws in the top to mimic AR height sights. Now practice getting a repeatable cheek weld on it and imagine heavy recoil....
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:39:44 PM EDT
[#8]
One of my buddies recently bought a KSG. He went shooting with it once. Now it's a "gun safe ornament". I got a chance to play with it, and IMO it's a pretty kludgy thing.

If you're dead-set on a scattergun with dual magazines, you'd probably be better off with a UTAS.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Holding one in the stores felt really comfortable, I'm curious to see how it feels shooting when I buy one or get a chance to try someone's! Even with mixed opinions I don't think I can talk myself out of trying one! Would have 0 trouble reselling at least around here, they are gone in a flash.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#10]
A friend of mine bought the RFB, the PMR and the KSG....All have been back to visit Kel Tec...some multiple times. The RFB was sold to buy a Scar Heavy (got a sick deal!), the PMR sold after its 3rd trip back to its maker and the KSG was sold and replaced, after a coupla trips, with a Tri Star semi auto (of all things!)
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:48:46 PM EDT
[#11]
i guess you guys are right, its money better spent else where and to be honest i don't think a shotgun (for my uses) would do anything better than an ar or glock 17.
I do have a mossberg 600at, but that thing rarely ever sees the light of day. Its go a like a 22" barrel on it though.
I think its a novelty, cool gun, but is going to sit in the safe. and I don't buy safe queens really, every gun needs and purpose and a use to justify the purchase.

EDIT: whoa....you guys actually talked me out of it....well done.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:57:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I have one and love it.  No issues, no shells hitting me in the wrist.  It's not a 870...not even close...it's a KSG.  With that being said , yeh it's a range toy, expensive too.  You need to really train with it and treat it like a KSG not a regular shotgun.  My mindset was 870..it was an adjustment.  My co workers have them as well.. no issues.. I guess we got lucky on our group buy.  If you got the money buy one... if you don't get a nice glock and a 870 and call it a day  Do your research and of course "believe" everything you see on youtube and the internet.  You can find plenty of people giving this gun praise and people bashing it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:44:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Why would I talk you out of it?  I have one and love it.  I have thee other shotguns (remy 870 and 1100 and 1919) and still like the Kel-Tec.  I sometimes shoot it in 3-gun matches when I use my AUG as I like to keep the platform (bull pup) the same.  I have never had a single problem with mine even in competition.  If you have the money I say go for it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#15]

The article is correct when it says that particular vert grip is held in place by a nylon pin/stud and that the Kel-Tec rail has a grove running down the center just like most HK's and many others.  You have to be a MORON to use that style grip on a channeled rail.  Any grip with two cross bolts will work without failure.  USER ERROR.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:04:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I picked handled one at my FFL today. I liked it alot. The action wasn't 500/870 smooth but it was alot smoother than some made it out to be.
I think it falls under the category of "I like it, but I don't need it or love it"
So if I find one at a good price (maybe around $600) I'll buy it, but I don't think I would bring myself to spend what some are asking for it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#17]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_162/1396196_WTS__Kel_Tec_KSG_unfired.html

ON THE EE Today  700 bucks plus shipping.. the prices are coming down.. you just gotta look around.  

Quoted:
I picked handled one at my FFL today. I liked it alot. The action wasn't 500/870 smooth but it was alot smoother than some made it out to be.
I think it falls under the category of "I like it, but I don't need it or love it"
So if I find one at a good price (maybe around $600) I'll buy it, but I don't think I would bring myself to spend what some are asking for it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

ON THE EE Today  700 bucks plus shipping.. the prices are coming down.. you just gotta look around.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

yep, i saw an ad on armslist one for $650, but it was too far to drive and spend the money.
thanks though
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:44:24 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

yep, i saw an ad on armslist one for $650, but it was too far to drive and spend the money.

thanks though
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks though
I wouldn't have been able to pass that up if I had the spending money! But holding one was so sweet! And like a previous poster said. Very slick action on the used one I held. Better than any new pump I've tried in store. Maybe not well worn 870 slick but better than a new one.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#20]
If you believe it is not combat ready, do not buy one.  

This shotgun has no reason raison d'etre (reason for being), other than as a home defense, fighting shotgun.  If, in your mind, it does not fit that role due to perceived poor reliability, then DO NOT buy one.

Alternatively, if you have time and money to spare, buy one.  Use it find out if it's reliable.  If it's not, get it fixed so it is.  To use this approach, you have to have the time and money, and patience, to spare.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:56:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Here's a 2011 video...  in the end you're the one making the decision to buy it... so research it as much as can

Keep in mind many improvements have been made since the GEN1 models.... there are still things on it IMO that need improving.

There are a lot of upgrades you can get for this as well.....just like ar15's continue to have over time.

http://www.policemag.com/videos/channel/weapons/2011/11/kel-tec-ksg-overview.aspx

http://www.policemag.com/videos/channel/weapons/2011/11/kel-tec-ksg-field-test.aspx

This article explains what was added or improved over time

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/kel-tec-unveils-the-new-ksg-dual-tube-pump-shotgun/

As for the hand in front of the barrel issue.. its a bull pup shotgun, compact in size... use it as intended and don't act like a jackass when firing it.  Put a hand stop on the rail if you're worried about it.   You can see 100's of videos online of people accidently shooting themselves with all kinds of handguns and firearms (muzzle awareness, laser rule, training is key).
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:02:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I love mine. It is not going to win you any medals with clay pigeons, but it is what it is,-a compact shotgun with a high capacity. I tried a UTAS and for me, it was not comfortable at all to shoot or hold. You get used to the action and the prices are coming down,although I can't imagine how much more,but you never know.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:16:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I was close to buying one but called it off upon reading questionable comments like these. I also read that the recoil is absolutely brutal, something to keep in mind with my goal of it being manageable by everyone in the household. But I mainly wanted a semi-auto.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#24]
The clearance drill for the 870, drop to one knee, activate the slide release with trigger hand, grip forend tightly and keeping muzzle up and forward strike the butt of the weapon on the ground vigorously, simple action. What's  the clearance drill for the KSG? So far all I've seen is shake KSG vigorously in between shoving fingers up into action hoping obstruction falls out while cursing and dodging incoming.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:54:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Came to post this.  

And its a novelty.  Most experienced shooters an d people who's opinion I trust said they were meh.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Get a saiga 12 put a kushnapup kit on enjoy
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Came to post this.  

And its a novelty.  Most experienced shooters an d people who's opinion I trust said they were meh.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Came to post this.  

most people that I asked said meh also.. Its on the list of "if I see it at a really good price, I'll get one" but other than that, I don't think I'll be getting one.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#28]
VEPR 12........problem solved
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:19:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not really, it's too long and it may or may not have issues cycling different loads
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Not really, it's too long and it may or may not have issues cycling different loads
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I cant argue the too long thing, as that is personal opinion. The cycling issue is resolved by following a few steps / 40 min of prep work. I just took my brand new VEPR 12 out this past weekend for the first time, shot 120rds of 1145fps federal tactical low recoil buckshot without a single issue, as fast as I can pull the trigger. I then shot a mixture of 2 3/4" slugs, buckshot, birdshot, and 3" magnum buckshot and slugs without any issues.

I wanted the KSG for awhile, but this thing KILLS it in reliability if you spend 40 min upfront to make sure it runs smooth as glass
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:44:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

just a plain jane pump. 18.5 barrel- 20 in.  old wingmaster, 870 police, mossy 500,590,835, ect.

practice your loading skills with a simple pump.

me I'm a bit faster with Winchester 1200- 1300's. that's just me though

never luv'd kel-tec. sub 2000
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:54:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

no. it can be a picky eater eve with factory mags

best bet is a smooth old $250.00 used Wingmaster.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:00:55 AM EDT
[#33]
these are fast and smoooooth. like silk on silk.

they're faster than I am.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:49:34 PM EDT
[#34]
maybe try a Benelli Nova or Super Nova? I've handled them. never shot one though. I don't think I'd gain speed over a smoothed 1200-1300 Winchester though.

Benelli's  loading gate does stay up though. just food for thought.

I have an old beat to shit rattle trap Mossberg 835. it's always been good.

shotguns are like every other thing in life.   die hard chevy fans, ford fan's,, glock, 1911, AR vs AK.......you know the drill.

never bring up shotguns in the GD. forum here.....LOL.          
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 3:51:33 PM EDT
[#35]
For a SHTF bedside shotty I have 12" SBS Remy 870.  For a great "fun" shotty I love my KSG.  I also got it to use for 3-gun matches as my rifle is an AUG and I like to keep the "bullpup" theme going.  Mine has run 100% without any problems so far but I only have a few hundred rounds through it between 00Buck, Slugs, & #7 shot.  I saw this "Burnt Bronze" colored one in my local shop and it was calling my name.  I am sure they have worked out the bugs as mine is in the 63,800 range according to my serial number.  I have heard there are over 65,000 KSG's out in the wild.  It is dead nuts accurate with a T1 Micro in a Fortis absolute co-witness mount and Midwest Industries BUIS.  The Magpul vert grip really helps with reliable cycling and muzzle control.  Also added an extended mag tube selector so I can switch between mag tubes with the wrist of my shooting hand.  No need to take your hand off the grip or support hand off the hand guard to switch tubes.  The breacher style brake is something I added because I thought the muzzle terminating at the mag tube caps looked a little strange.

Link Posted: 2/3/2015 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Get this instead

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top