Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/21/2014 6:54:24 AM EDT
Had never heard of these. Have these been out a while?? Be pretty cool to have a shorty AOW built on one if they work as advertised.

http://www.reapercamo.com/product60.html
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:35:04 AM EDT
[#1]
`interesting. seems like a fair price too.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:53:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I like it.  Looking for first hand expererience before I pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:11:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I have heard of them and there are many Youtube videos on them. Black Aces is a Florida based company that builds comlete mag fed shotguns on their own "Mossberg" receivers. They show that kit on their website for $435 unless I'm not reading something correctly, (or maybe that's a complete shotgun as this video seems to imply).

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgIi70yUK8s[/youtube]

This video shows how to convert a regular Mossberg. Not sure why they didn't use sound.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCdHp_-Ch6c[/youtube]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:16:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks awesome I'm buying one when I hit the States
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:53:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I have one headed to my dealer tomorrow,couldn't pass it up for $100.great people to deal with and they ship pretty quick.And your not reading it wrong on there website it is $435 just for the receiver
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Was hoping some of you guys already had these in hand
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one headed to my dealer tomorrow,couldn't pass it up for $100.great people to deal with and they ship pretty quick.And your not reading it wrong on there website it is $435 just for the receiver
View Quote

yea. all them parts for peanuts post up pic's buddy when ya get your build done. nice looking stuff for the $$$
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:38:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Was hoping some of you guys already had these in hand
View Quote

new to this thing. A Big thank's to OP for posting up. something about a drum mag.....I love
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:55:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah I like the concept. No matter how outdated scatterguns are they are still my favorite. I had one of the Knoxx sidewinder kits that I never got to work but loved the idea.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Only grip is they don't really work with saiga mags. You have to change the follower and then it doesn't work with the saiga. I don't see extra followers listed on their sight but I haven't called yet.  No big deal to have dedicated mags but all advertising list it like is standard saiga mags
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Only grip is they don't really work with saiga mags. You have to change the follower and then it doesn't work with the saiga. I don't see extra followers listed on their sight but I haven't called yet.  No big deal to have dedicated mags but all advertising list it like is standard saiga mags
View Quote

hopefully you boy's will keep an old man updated. It seems like a nice deal. keep this thread up guy's
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:10:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Problem is they dont have instructions on how to modify saiga 12 mags using their feed ramp/follower kit.

I have one and its bad ass but i dont like the spades on their propietary mags
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:57:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Problem is they dont have instructions on how to modify saiga 12 mags using their feed ramp/follower kit.

I have one and its bad ass but i dont like the spades on their propietary mags
View Quote

how much are there mags?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:18:30 PM EDT
[#14]
10rd mags are $50 a pop and I think the 5rds are $15.A buddy of mine ordered there Hulk model this weekend and they gave him a coupon for 10% off so I him throw some mags on his order.I think when you order the receiver kit
it comes with a follower,if mine comes in today I will let you guys know.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
10rd mags are $50 a pop and I think the 5rds are $15.A buddy of mine ordered there Hulk model this weekend and they gave him a coupon for 10% off so I him throw some mags on his order.I think when you order the receiver kit
it comes with a follower,if mine comes in today I will let you guys know.
View Quote

thank's for the update.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:05:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought one a few months ago to build into a 14" w/sb15... been waiting on a 14" front end from Mossberg to finish it... Any yes it does come with a replacement follower.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I bought one a few months ago to build into a 14" w/sb15... been waiting on a 14" front end from Mossberg to finish it... Any yes it does come with a replacement follower.
View Quote

This is what I am thinking about doing
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:41:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm pretty sure that's making an SBS since the braces are for pistols and there is no such thing as shotgun pistols.  Just something to think about.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure that's making an SBS since the braces are for pistols and there is no such thing as shotgun pistols.  Just something to think about.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who says the braces are for pistols and not firearms? You better tell it to the company who makes these receivers too http://www.blackacestactical.com/#!product/prd3/3250932101/black-aces-tactical-dt
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought 2 a few weeks ago. I have an efiled F1 (SBS) inbound for one of them, It should be approved any day now.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ATF letter specifically says pistol or other firearm... I wrote this up a while back to explain it to a friend, broken down barney style

Definition of a shotgun by MN and Federal law is.... a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder, and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.

definition of a short barreled shotgun is a SHOTGUN having one or more barrels less than eighteen inches in length and any weapon made from a shotgun (whether by alteration, modification or otherwise) if such a weapon as modified has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.

Part to recognize so far is a shotgun is intended to be fired from the shoulder.... a Pistol Grip Only shotgun is technically not a shotgun it is classified as a firearm because it's not intended to be fired from the shoulder....

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Definition of an AOW is... Any weapon or device CAPABLE OF BEING CONCEALED on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive;
A pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell;
Weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading; and
Any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire.

Such term shall not include a pistol or a revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition.

Definition of a concealed weapon is an oal under 26"

Sig brace cannot turn a firearm into an NFA device per the atf's technical branch. Therefore a pgo firearm with a shorter than 18" barrel and sig brace having an OAL of 26" or more would only be considered a firearm and would NOT fall under the NFA.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Okay this has sparked my interest now.  Does Black Aces make the receivers or modifies them?  Just wondering if they make them if you could get them to do a custom Serial Number.

If so I would build up a 10" SBS for sure.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 3:25:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Build one for a Stoeger M2000/M3000, so I can make a semi-auto PGO SBS that's 18" OAL and feeds from mags
Stoeger is recoil operated and has the action spring under the handguard, so it would be about ideal.

I can't remember what upcoming SciFi video game I saw something similar in, but it would be pretty cool as a door buster.

ETA: Found it, Millitech Crusher, this is just a rapid prototype prop, but you get the idea...

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 3:25:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Okay this has sparked my interest now.  Does Black Aces make the receivers or modifies them?  Just wondering if they make them if you could get them to do a custom Serial Number.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Black Aces received ATF approval to allow the SBS 15 brace on their 10" "shotgun" with the restriction that shouldering it makes it an SBS. Take that however you want.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

ATF letter specifically says pistol or other firearm... I wrote this up a while back to explain it to a friend, broken down barney style

Definition of a shotgun by MN and Federal law is.... a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder, and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.

definition of a short barreled shotgun is a SHOTGUN having one or more barrels less than eighteen inches in length and any weapon made from a shotgun (whether by alteration, modification or otherwise) if such a weapon as modified has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.

Part to recognize so far is a shotgun is intended to be fired from the shoulder.... a Pistol Grip Only shotgun is technically not a shotgun it is classified as a firearm because it's not intended to be fired from the shoulder....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

paragraph 4.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#27]
guess I will have to stap it to my arm when I go shooting with all my ATF buddies.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Does Black Aces manufacture the Mossberg 500 receivers?  Or are they from Mossberg?
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Does Black Aces manufacture the Mossberg 500 receivers?  Or are they from Mossberg?
View Quote

The way the magwell flares down I cant imagine they modify mossberg parts. Anything is possible but it would be a ton of work to do so.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#30]
These 500 mag fed receivers have really caught my attention.

So is it possible to order all the other parts for the Mossberg 500 to build a complete gun?  Where would you order the parts from? (someone have a checklist/parts list??? )  I'm not familiar with the Mossberg at all.

First start would be to order a one of those the Black Aces Pro Series 500 kits.
Where is the source for short barrels 7"-10" (Yes I plan to build a SBS and familiar with the NFA stuff)
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 5:34:44 PM EDT
[#31]
I figured a maverick or a used 500 would probably be the cheapest way of getting all the parts.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 11:19:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Build one for a Stoeger M2000/M3000, so I can make a semi-auto PGO SBS that's 18" OAL and feeds from mags
Stoeger is recoil operated and has the action spring under the handguard, so it would be about ideal.

I can't remember what upcoming SciFi video game I saw something similar in, but it would be pretty cool as a door buster.

ETA: Found it, Millitech Crusher, this is just a rapid prototype prop, but you get the idea...

http://images.rpgnuke.ru/cyberpunk_2077/other/1372798174-militech-crusher-8.jpg
View Quote

oh my
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:31:04 AM EDT
[#33]
I just ordered one of these sets, I already have the donor gun to get parts from.  I might make a SBS out of it, not sure yet, but either way it should be fun with my Salvo.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:46:29 AM EDT
[#34]
A few months ago I told an AOW builder, Ryan at Falling Skies Corp, about these receivers and he's selling an AOW version called the Black Betty now. Very Nice builds. Makes one hell of a compact breaching gun..
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
A few months ago I told an AOW builder, Ryan at Falling Skies Corp, about these receivers and he's selling an AOW version called the Black Betty now. Very Nice builds. Makes one hell of a compact breaching gun..
View Quote

Considering you join date and post count this seems like an advertisement more than anything.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:00:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Considering you join date and post count this seems like an advertisement more than anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's  called an assumption. Don't  work there, no revenue stream from the product, wasn't  paid to come here and post so it's  an unsolicited  endorsement, not an advertisement. This forum is public, yes? Anyone searching certain info on public search engines is brought here. I searched for some info on Mossberg 590A1 was brought here where I saw this thread, had something to contribute, joined and posted and you probably learned something you didn't know so where's  the problem with that?

One more thing about these receivers that most dont know is that it's  more than just swapping parts which is tough enough with the bolt without an arbor press. Also each mag and proprietary  follower needs to be fit for reliable feeding and function just like a Saiga shotgun.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:19:04 PM EDT
[#37]
I purchased one of these receivers.
While putting it together the smith found that the firing pin was to short.
Called the vendor and they are sending a new bolt assembly out Monday
Great customer service so far. I'll update as the build progresses
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#38]
I also bought one of these and just got it last week. The only parts I have bought so far are the stock and a 10 round mag.

Anyway I do plan to Form 1 it into a SBS, could someone that has a 500 tell me what the length is from the receiver to end of barrel and what that barrel length is? Thanks
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That's  called an assumption. Don't  work there, no revenue stream from the product, wasn't  paid to come here and post so it's  an unsolicited  endorsement, not an advertisement. This forum is public, yes? Anyone searching certain info on public search engines is brought here. I searched for some info on Mossberg 590A1 was brought here where I saw this thread, had something to contribute, joined and posted and you probably learned something you didn't know so where's  the problem with that?

One more thing about these receivers that most dont know is that it's  more than just swapping parts which is tough enough with the bolt without an arbor press. Also each mag and proprietary  follower needs to be fit for reliable feeding and function just like a Saiga shotgun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, sounds like a shill.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:44:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I also bought one of these and just got it last week. The only parts I have bought so far are the stock and a 10 round mag.

Anyway I do plan to Form 1 it into a SBS, could someone that has a 500 tell me what the length is from the receiver to end of barrel and what that barrel length is? Thanks
View Quote

length cut off just ahead of the barrel nut is 15-1/2 inches

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:28:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Umm that doesn't tell me anything I wanted to know.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:38:16 PM EDT
[#42]
He's telling you the length of the barrel when cut in front of the barrel nut...15.5". A factory SBS has a shortened mag tube so the barrel is 14" on those.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:44:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A shill is paid...
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:15:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
He's telling you the length of the barrel when cut in front of the barrel nut...15.5". A factory SBS has a shortened mag tube so the barrel is 14" on those.
View Quote

14 inch is a 590.
I don't think the factory makes an SBS 500.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:27:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

14 inch is a 590.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

14 inch is a 590.

You are correct, cept he's  asking what the barrel length is for a 500 chopped. 500 mag tube is similar length as 590 18.5" barreled shotgun and holds 5 rounds. 590 factory sbs has 6.5" forend instead of 7.625" and the shorter mag tube.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:32:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry I thought you wanted to know how short you can go without altering the mag tube and barrel.
Rule of thumb is add 1 inch.
Example: A 20 inch measurement from the receiver to the end of the barrel measures 21 inches inside to the breechface.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:37:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You are correct, cept he's  asking what the barrel length is for a 500 chopped. 500 mag tube is similar length as 590 18.5" barreled shotgun and holds 5 rounds. 590 factory sbs has 6.5" forend instead of 7.625" and the shorter mag tube.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

14 inch is a 590.

Thats what i answered. You can cut to 16 inches without shortening the mag and moving the barrel lug.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:00:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Thats what i answered. You can cut to 16 inches without shortening the mag and moving the barrel lug.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

14 inch is a 590.

Right I was agreeing with you because  Shermantor seemed confused. Quickest way to gauge barrel length and where to cut is drop a rod down the barrel with a closed action and mark the rod at the muzzle. That's the barrel length.. measure back from the mark to gauge how far back from the muzzle you should cut. Leave a little for refacing the muzzle.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:00:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Sorry I thought you wanted to know how short you can go without altering the mag tube and barrel.
Example: A 20 inch measurement from the receiver to the end of the barrel measures 21 inches inside to the breechface.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, that is more what I am looking for, so it's about 1" in difference.  I don't have a barrel yet so I am unable to measure it myself.  I was asking so I can put the OAL length within a half inch or so on the Form 1,  which I plan to get to the CLEO for sign off later this week.

So I plan to build a SBS with a 10" Barrel. So to figure out my OAL: length from front of the receiver to the end of the but stock extended is 23.25" + ~9.25" for the 10" barrel minus the about 1" so I'll go with .75" to give me an OAL of 32.5"

I know for the 10" build, I will have to move and modify the take down lug under the barrel, modify the magazine tube, and the Action Slide.  I called one place to get an estimate to do that and it was $400.00  I think I'll be able to do it myself or have some buddies help me out.  I was thinking I can actually work on doing all the mods minus cutting the barrel before I even get the approved Form 1 back, (well that depends on how long it takes with my procrastination might be approved before I even get the barrel ordered LOL)
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Sidewinder is back in business making conversion kits.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top