Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/20/2014 8:51:44 PM EDT
I'm looking to purchase my first ever shotgun. I've never owned one before and am looking to get into them.

My question is, what would be the ideal intro shotgun? Something I can use for defense, possibly hunting, and possibly skeet.

I'm not looking to break the bank and would like to keep it to $300 or less. New or used doesn't really matter to me.

My LGS had a used Mossberg Maverick Model 88 with an 18" barrel for $199. I kind of liked the feel of that and it had the Mossberg name. They also had a new Maverick Model 88 with 20" barrel for $275.

I live in the city and preferably want to keep the barrel length as short as possible (18") as most of the time the shotgun would be for defense and would be sitting in my closet.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I would try to find a Mossberg 500 combo , with the 2 barrels ( I shorter slug barrel and 1 longer for skeet )

Many options to grow with down the road
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#3]
870 in the short config.  buy spare barrel later
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:08:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. Keep it simple.Pumps are cheap and reliable. Either is good for a beginner and can be customized.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a big fan of the Remington 870.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:03:45 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want to shoot Skeet (it's fun and challenging) get a double barrel. imho. Pumps not so much, auto something would be my next choice. Not an expert here, just my observations from shooting at my local club.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:31:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Another vote for the Mossberg combo. In CA Big 5 has them at a reasonable price. I would opt to buy a used Mossberg than a new Maverick.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:35:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. Keep it simple.Pumps are cheap and reliable. Either is good for a beginner and can be customized.
View Quote

I agree.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:18:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Mossberg 500. Never been a fan of the 870. The more expensive ones are quite nice, but the entry level/lower end ones are shit imo.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:57:07 AM EDT
[#10]
A used 870 Wingmaster in any configuration you like, or a Mossberg 590. The only downside to a 590 is the availability of longer sporting barrels, which you may not really need. It's easier to clean their mag tubes (vs a 500) though, and you'll be doing that if you shoot it often,
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:56:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I really like my stoeger m3000.
Extended tubes avail, and inertia driven.

Almost a copy of the m1.

Txl
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:23:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm a big fan of the Remington 870.
View Quote

+87
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:36:09 AM EDT
[#13]
All descsisons have consequences.

If it were me I would get a Remington 870 (hands down, no doubts) with a sporting length barrel. I would buy an aftermarket 18In barrel. I would load the gun with your defensive load of choice and put the 18In barrel on it. When you want to go shoot birds or clays then bring the extra barrel and change barrels and unload at the gun range. When your done reload with the defensive load if your choice and put the 18in barrel back on.

When considering the longer barrel the only two advantages you get are a slower more fluid swing and an interchange choke. Most powder is burnt up in the first 18-20 inches of the gun so there is no speed bonus for the longer barrel. Almost all shorter barrels are a fixed cyl . Which is great for close flushing birds but my choke of choice for sporting applications is a light modified choke (between a modified and a imp cyl) the longer barrels have threaded ends to accept the variety of chokes.

So with this aforementioned setup you would have a very adequate sporting setup with a workable defensive platform. But the consequence is you don't get the extra shots from the extended mag tube, a side saddle for extra rounds, a light, and an optic if you choose to sue one which is more inline with a purely defensive platform.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:37:42 AM EDT
[#14]
The only question I might ask is are you left handed. If so I would highly suggest the browning BPS as it is bottom feed bottom eject.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:45:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Too bad you didn't get one of those Steven 320 for 99 from psa.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The only question I might ask is are you left handed. If so I would highly suggest the browning BPS as it is bottom feed bottom eject.
View Quote

No, I'm right handed. It seems like everyone is either saying the Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 so I will start looking into those. I didn't realize how easy it was to swap a barrel on a shotgun.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Too bad you didn't get one of those Steven 320 for 99 from psa.
View Quote

yea old winchester 1300 design bolt modded, on the carrier rails. I can strip these down to nothing in about 1 minute hell if and old guy like me is fast with these pumps you young boys should be twice ass fast

both the turk made SPX, and Chinese Stevens insides. Stevens chi com 320 on top. Winchester Turk SPX bottom. they are fast pumps.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:41:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Almost a copy of the m1.

Txl
View Quote

another very fast pump got the 3000
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:53:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm looking to purchase my first ever shotgun. I've never owned one before and am looking to get into them.

My question is, what would be the ideal intro shotgun? Something I can use for defense, possibly hunting, and possibly skeet.

I'm not looking to break the bank and would like to keep it to $300 or less. New or used doesn't really matter to me.

My LGS had a used Mossberg Maverick Model 88 with an 18" barrel for $199. I kind of liked the feel of that and it had the Mossberg name. They also had a new Maverick Model 88 with 20" barrel for $275.

I live in the city and preferably want to keep the barrel length as short as possible (18") as most of the time the shotgun would be for defense and would be sitting in my closet.

Thanks.
View Quote

all around 24-26 inch inch Turkey gun, screw in chokes. 18" kinda iffy for field use. A. good used mossberg 835 24" turkey thats a start. with choke tubes. dang good guns usually fair priced used. they handle 3 1/2" if you can handle the beating.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:00:40 PM EDT
[#20]
this is a new 835. mine are old. aluminum trigger guard assemblies  shop old 835'shttp://www.mossberg.com/product/shotguns-pump-action-mossberg-835-ulti-mag-835-ulti-mag-turkey-standard-trigger/62238
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:22:08 PM EDT
[#21]
this is what I keep in my bedroom - mancave. slings are off a few. for pic's. they are always loaded with 2 3/4" #4 Buck. I just prefer #4 better payload. I hold a small light in my left pump hand.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:46:15 PM EDT
[#22]
once your eyes are crap ( like mine ) you can always saddle up to one of these it runs good on high brass. they ain't cheap no more

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#23]
these are the cheapo Turk built ATI autoloaders. $199.00 in the day. funny 18 1/2" full choke bunch of boy's bought them on ar15.com. good beaters.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Cheap ass ATI.  all gone now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM50uhVA6q4
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:28:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was more looking for a pump action to start.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#26]
H&R Pardner pump.

It's a chicom clone of the Remington 870 +/-

Reliable, cheap, good starter gun.

been mentioned / reviewed on this site many times.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:15:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
H&R Pardner pump.

http://www.galleryofguns.com//prod_images/NP1-P18.jpg

View Quote

Just be aware that due to differences in mag tube length, 870 barrels wont interchange.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
H&R Pardner pump.

View Quote

good solid shotty, not near as fast as the Winchester.1300, or it's clones, Winchester SPX pump or Stevens 320. Trust me on this
you ain't gonna field strip any 870 or clone, Mossbergs as fast as me on a 1300 based platform ain't gonna out shoot me either. with a pump.

get that shitty Stevens 320. Clean her up good. Cut that shit forend down. Get Strike Zone oil, it is excellent removing that chi com waxy cosmoline I heat my actions,ect. a little before new cleaning

have your buddy time you. it will be CASE CLOSED! and you only get better with muscle memory ( use ) ain't but the best 870, or Mossy boy's run with this shit!...
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you might not be able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone hunting and home defense that 835 turkey gun by Mossberg is yer best bet in a hunting/home used 250.00,about the best defense rig for the money 24'' tube/ screw in chokes. ain't that long of a tube. they rattle a bit, but they run
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:26:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
H&R Pardner pump.

View Quote

own a few, plus old 870's. I simply ain't as fast with 870's or Mossbergs... to keep up with Winchester 1200/ 1300. or there clones

I clean cut those cheap ass Steven's forends the way they should be to fight with. H&R is a good solid shotgun

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm not really sure what "intro shotgun" is but save yourself the time, regret, and money and just buy a used Rem 870 Police Magnum or a Mossberg 590A1. Forget any other two pumps that anybody else may have mentioned in this post, especially the knockoff 870's. Terrible advise.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:42:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm not really sure what "intro shotgun" is but save yourself the time, regret, and money and just buy a used Rem 870 Police Magnum or a Mossberg 590A1. Forget any other two pumps that anybody else may have mentioned in this post, especially the knockoff 870's. Terrible advise.
View Quote

LOL. I'm not sure this is a good intro. Go buy them and beat them! 870 police is good, old wingmasters fine,say'n the rest suck. not so smart someone might smoke your ass
there are faster guns than you mention just so yah know someone may hand you your ass on a plate!..........just say'n

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:53:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

this is average for a fella used to a smooth 1300 anyone decent will smoke an 870, just say'n....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbd8biIvNL0
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:24:57 AM EDT
[#34]
I currently own 4 870's and my good friend owns a mossberg 500. Both are good shotguns, however I prefer the 870.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:25:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Almost a copy of the m1.

Txl

got the 350 pump and 3000 auto.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#36]
My only question is if the 1300 is so frigging wonderful and the 870 is so bad, why can you still buy new 870s and they quit making the 1300
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I grew up shooting an old 870 Wingmaster and it was a great gun. I don't know if I'd buy a new 870 though. I'd rather buy an old used Police Magnum or Wingmaster. I've never shot a Mossberg or any other pump guns.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Remington 870 or Mossberg 500.  I prefer the Remington since the action fit and finish us usually better than the Mossberg but both will do the job.  Start with a 28" barrel with modified choke and later you can add a slug barrel for deer or a 18" open barrel for riot/home defense.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

this is average for a fella used to a smooth 1300 anyone decent will smoke an 870, just say'n....

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just because it can be cycled faster with practice, doesn't mean it's the better shotgun overall.

He didn't mention how much training that took, how many times he accidentally short-stroked it (re-takes ?), or if he was actually trying to hit anything with that firepower display.

If I'm trying to "smoke" stuff with speed, I'll take my Benelli. They truly are overall better, and correspondingly more expensive.

Winchester/FN/clones are also easier to field strip, but their parts just don't last as long. That's true of REAL Win/FN, so who knows with clones?

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Just because it can be cycled faster with practice, doesn't mean it's the better shotgun overall.

He didn't mention how much training that took, how many times he accidentally short-stroked it (re-takes ?), or if he was actually trying to hit anything with that firepower display.

If I'm trying to "smoke" stuff with speed, I'll take my Benelli. They truly are overall better, and correspondingly more expensive.

Winchester/FN/clones are also easier to field strip, but their parts just don't last as long. That's true of REAL Win/FN, so who knows with clones?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes. many good pump shotguns out there. really the key thing is what works for certain people. then alot of practice after that.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:19:20 AM EDT
[#41]
So I found out my uncle has a Remington 870, probably at least 6 years old, that he never uses and just sits in his safe. I'm gonna see if I can take it off his hands if he's willing to sell it for a decent price
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 2:10:42 AM EDT
[#42]
870 (Wingmaster or Police ONLY) or a Moss 590A1. If you don't get your uncles and you decide on a Mossberg don't even bother with any other 500 model except the 590A1 (military/police version).

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 2:11:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

LOL. I'm not sure this is a good intro. Go buy them and beat them! 870 police is good, old wingmasters fine,say'n the rest suck. not so smart someone might smoke your ass
there are faster guns than you mention just so yah know someone may hand you your ass on a plate!..........just say'n

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^ Retard. "faster"? Who cares.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:35:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess you really don't know your way around scatter guns hugh? sad thing

all the guy's in video don't either gr a brain kid!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBOaMIzXZqg
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 2:16:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Reported bickering. Locked until one of the regular mods get here.

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:03:33 PM EDT
[#46]
I will watch this thread.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Mossberg 500s are always a good choice. Used $100-200. Remington 870s also a good choice.

Another 870 clone is the Interstate Arms Hawk. Well reviewed. Heavier than an 870 though. Can find them on sale $150-$200
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_288/products_id/77643/Interstate+Arms+HAWK+12+GA.+PUMP+DEFENSE+SHOTGUN+WRAIL
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#49]
sorry. all is well. any pump is most likely decent
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#50]
at least we all like us some shotguns
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top