Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2014 10:25:51 AM EDT
I have significantly more time on 870s than any other shotgun.  I have been considering a Mossbeg 590A1 as my primary shotgun to replace my 870.  I like several aspects over the 870, however I have noticed in the 8 different 590 and 500s that I have had the opportunity to shoot the mag springs are noticeably weaker that the 870s that I have used.  Is this common?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, their mag springs suck and I highly recommend you replace them with Wolff XP springs.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, their mag springs suck and I highly recommend you replace them with Wolff XP springs.
View Quote

Yep, especially if you ever get an auto.

A 3 pack is like $15 shipped.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1

What he said...

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds good thanks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:20:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

metal follower too
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:24:07 PM EDT
[#6]
a good pump used to be standard in my day. sadly so much junk nowadays I'm 57 now...........so much for fancy CNC shit QC?

Go to a show and buy some old shit
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:55:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I replaced my mossberg spring with a replacement from scattergun technologies. Much more positive feeding now.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:39:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I have access to around 30 870 police magnums and 4 590s that I use for shotgun training.  The 870s seem to break a fair amount of ejectors, shell stops that come unstaked frequently, and trigger groups/shell lifters that shit the bed.  Not to mention the horrible rifle sights that were chosen over the bead at a time prior to ghost rings.  

From my observations on a significantly smaller scale vs the 870 I have found the 590 to be a rather crude design with many parts easily replaced without a certified gunsmith.  Better ergonomics, dual extractors, seemingly less complicated trigger mechanism, and the ability to get a sub $500 police duty rated gun with a drilled and tapped receiver and very rugged ghost ring sights is very appealing. The magazine springs being weak in every 590 that I handle does cause concern, but that is easily remedied.  I did watch some interesting malfunctions on the 590s this week while teaching a shotgun school.  It appears the weak springs cause the shells to sluggishly eject from the mag tube which cause some issues.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:15:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did this with my Mossberg.  It wasn't that old, probably made when I was a teenager, (it does have a serial number).

I am a firm believer in changing springs if they weaken over the years, and many times they do.

Brand doesn't matter much when it comes to springs.  Springs are a consumable commodity, they will some times need replacement.

Not always though.  I have never felt the need to replace the mainspring in a 1911, for example.  Of course, they are overly strong to begin with.

Most tube fed shotguns with some years and some use on them will probably benefit from new mag springs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top