Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2014 11:47:55 PM EDT
Hello folks,  I like to SBS my Benelli M1, just like to know what is the best shortest barrel length I should go for?  I like it to be able to chew most type of shot shells so it doesnt have to be too short, and who (gunsmith) that I should contact for the job, thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:44:02 AM EDT
[#1]
The only factory SBS length is 14". You can find these barrels on Gunbroker or elsewhere, totally drop-in and ready to go. These use the factory +1 magazine extension.  Going shorter than this will mean extensive custom work to fit a new front sight and new magazine cap. Class 3 Supply used to do a very short conversion of the M1 called The Hammer, but they discontinued this many years ago.

The M1 is an odd bird with short, non-factory barrels. All M1 barrels are very thin walled and have a down taper from about 10-12 inches. You'll need a taller front sight to get it to work.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:11:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I have an M1 with a 14" barrel with a permanent 4" brake from the factory. I haven't seen these barrels sold separate. I need heavy loads to cycle the action. Game loads #6 minimum. I might just change the spring out to see if it will allow function with lighter target loads. 00B functions just fine :)

The front sight is a blade and I'd like to install a fiber optic in it's place. It will definitely be a custom sight to get the height and the front sight is not removable.

The brake doesn't really ease the recoil on this gun IMO. Added a Limbsaver butt plate to reduce felt recoil and stay on target better.  

Not sure if this helps with your question, but might help with what to expect with a 14" barrel.  

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:30:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Just buy a factory 14" barrel and drop it in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top