Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2014 7:25:25 PM EDT
One semi-auto for:  sporting clays, dove, quail, coyotes, and 3gun what would you buy?

I don't mind swapping barrels.  Budget is up to $1000.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Good used beretta 391
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:18:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good used beretta 391
View Quote

Agreed, at that price point.   Maybe a Benelli M1 Super 90 if you can find one and want to easily add a magazine extension.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:01:00 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 for Bud... a used M1 with an extra 28" barrel
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:55:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I was looking at versa maxes, how do they rate?

I think I'd prefer a gas gun over an inertia gun.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:58:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

They don't

1100 competition synthetic if you want Remington

I'm in the same dillema as you OP Except for a 50% larger budget ceiling.  As far as I can tell, nothing fills all three disciplines without compromising.  But the semi auto Berettas are the best bet, used or new.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:14:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd vote Benelli M1/M2 for your needs.  Many different ways to configure it.  Pretty darn reliable.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Beretta 1301 Competition.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Vepr 12
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Vepr 12
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:00:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Swapping barrels is going to kill your $1000 budget... semi-auto shotgun barrels are pretty much all stupid expensive.

That being said, a 24-26" barrel should be at least adequate for everything you listed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They don't

I'm in the same dillema as you OP Except for a 50% larger budget ceiling.  As far as I can tell, nothing fills all three disciplines without compromising.  But the semi auto Berettas are the best bet, used or new.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't

I understand that there are going to be compromises.  I've been told I don't want an 1100 in AZ as the seals dry out yearly.

I'll try checking out the Berettas.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:13:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Vepr 12

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:18:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I understand that there are going to be compromises.  I've been told I don't want an 1100 in AZ as the seals dry out yearly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't

Where are you in AZ?  I might be able to get you behind an M2 and an M4 to check out.

CMS
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:28:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Do everything in every location possible, Benelli.  I had a friend who was running a Benelli without cleaning it just to see how many rounds it would go.  Last I saw him and that gun, it had run 5k rounds.  That was 2 years ago.  No clue if it went through 2013 or 14 without a cleaning but if it did it would be around 10k rounds now.  I don't suggest that's a good idea, he owned enough guns and shot enough he could do that new out of the box with one, it was a Super Sport.

If being able to neglect your gun or being absolutely sure it can run dusty or sub zero is not an issue then a Beretta is a good choice because you will eat less recoil.  If you know the majority of your rounds will be clays and lots of them, then Beretta.

If I was trying to do this with a budget and be swaping barrels to play 3gun I would do Benelli with Nordic mag tube.  The problem is even I you get a great deal on a used M1 or M2 the spare barrel wil be $500.  A good gun to find used would be a field version of an M1 with a 26" barrel.  You can use that as is for everything.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:29:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Good used beretta 391
View Quote

Something on this action.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone have any opinions on the Mossberg 930?  I looked them up, and the spare barrels are $200.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:14:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Researching the 391's, and it seems they can't accept a magazine extension.  So, unfortunately, the Berettas are out.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:41:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Researching the 391's, and it seems they can't accept a magazine extension.  So, unfortunately, the Berettas are out.
View Quote

So get a different gun for 3-gun
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#19]
So then I'd need two guns for $1000
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So then I'd need two guns for $1000
View Quote

Google Benelli M2 Practical.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:08:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Anyone have any opinions on the Mossberg 930?  I looked them up, and the spare barrels are $200.
View Quote

Yeah, I got one. It has problems. If I leave it loaded and go to shoot it, it won't feed from the mag. Hand unload it out the bottum, reload and then it feeds Would never trust it with my life.
I got 2 of the old savages that are clones of reminton m11s/browning a5s, bought them both as "parts guns" for $45 and $80, both required very minor parts, a spring on one and an ejector on the other. Both run 100%
I also have a saiga 12. Don't like how it won't funtion if the gas system is not on the correct setting for each ammo.

Sorry, that is the extent of my knowledge of semi auto shotguns.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#22]
My old HK imported Benelli Super Black Eagle has done time on the Skeet and Sporting Clay fields, dove, duck and turkey hunts, and 3 gun matches. It’s as close to a do-it-all shotgun as I can find.

But having only one gun is so…dull. You’re gonna want more
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:52:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They don't

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't

How does the versamax not rate? It seems like an awesome shotgun, I'm really wanting the tactical version.

Never mind, didn't recognize your avatar
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:14:05 PM EDT
[#24]
So I'm looking at Mossberg 930's, Remington 1100/11-87's, and possibly a versa max sportsman.  Benellis are out of budget here locally.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:33:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So I'm looking at Mossberg 930's, Remington 1100/11-87's, and possibly a versa max sportsman.  Benellis are out of budget here locally.
View Quote

So buy a used one...  A quick google search turned up an M2 Practical that sold here on ARF for $850.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:36:50 PM EDT
[#26]
I've never bought a firearm other than face to face transfers before.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:10:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've never bought a firearm other than face to face transfers before.
View Quote

It's easy.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:41:21 AM EDT
[#28]
I guess I'll have to look into it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#29]
So, recent events (my pregnant wife) have chopped my budget down to $600-$700.  I'm either selling or trading a Glock 17L for it.  

So far I've been offered a Stoeger M3000 with a 24" barrel and a +5 extension.  I'm also looking at used 1100's, and new Mossberg 930's.  If none of those are work having I'll just keep shooting my pump guns.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:20:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

So, recent events (my pregnant wife) have chopped my budget down to $600-$700.  I'm either selling or trading a Glock 17L for it.  

So far I've been offered a Stoeger M3000 with a 24" barrel and a +5 extension.  I'm also looking at used 1100's, and new Mossberg 930's.  If none of those are work having I'll just keep shooting my pump guns.
View Quote

I know it is a bit outside your price range but you might want to look at an SX3. Most come standard with a decent 26-28" barrel, you can get tube extensions for them, and they are stupid simple to take care of.

The one thing I don't like about them is the lack of aftermarket stocks. Other than that, it's my do all shotgun. I swap barrels out for a rifled slug barrel during hunting season and back on with my bird barrel after.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:51:03 PM EDT
[#31]
You really need two guns for that list.  Clays, doves, etc and three gun are mutually exclusive.  I won't say it can't be done, but you're going to have to make a lot of compromises and probably won't be happy with the results.  Decide what you're going to do the most and head in that direction.  Used Beretta 390 series are probably your best bet in that price range and are excellent clay bird guns.  Not so much three gun.  Benellis, even used ones, aren't going to fit your budget.  

There is no universal shotgun.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Used Benelli M2. Can be found in your budget and will do whatever you need it to do.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 7:27:22 AM EDT
[#33]
I've got a Mossberg 930 and I have never had a problem with
it at all...Shoots everything I feed it...
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:49:54 AM EDT
[#34]
For your budget and if you do it right you will have some ammo money left.

Shop around for a used 1100 you can test ride to make sure it works.

Everybody and their uncle makes stocks (so can get it to fit YOU which is most important), ext. tubes, race hardware and barrels in every configuration under the sun.

Seals? There is only 1 o-ring seal on the gun that you can get at any good hardware store or even off Ebay, I have only changed mine once since 1981 and that was just because I could.

The gun has seen a steady diet of bird, buck and slug, thousands of rounds at 3gun, skeet (gone 75 straight a few times), sporting clays in the 40's a few times, 5 stand and a couple rounds of trap and done well at all of them except trap and that was by no means the guns fault.  I just don't like trap.

By the way it is a lot of fun to whoop some of the others with the black gun at what they consider their game. I don't tell how many years I was at it though.

All this has been done with a slug barrel and a fixed modified choke 28in. bird barrel. They didn't even have screw ins when I got this gun and never saw the need on this one.
99% of the time with the bird barrel, once you know where it puts a slug the rest is cake.

I bought a 930 for grins to give the old girl a rest, go over to Brian Eno's sight look up the 930 issues mine had all of them in one shape or form, 3000 rounds later and alot of tweaks it now runs knock on wood.

Good luck!
The old saying "Beware of the man who only shoots one gun" does somewhat apply, although I  don't qualify.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:50:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Sorry double tap, so not to waste the space a pic of the beast the way it is run 99% of the time.

Started out as a basic 1100 field gun.

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 7:58:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for the reply trigger.  That's pretty much what I'm looking for.  I've seen a few 1100's locally for pretty cheap.  Are they anymore reliable than the 930's (without any problems).

I did a little reading over at the Brian Enos forum.  The main thread they point to is a guy that did a ton of changes with less than 300 rounds through his shotgun?
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 2:07:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply trigger.  That's pretty much what I'm looking for.  I've seen a few 1100's locally for pretty cheap.  Are they anymore reliable than the 930's (without any problems).

I did a little reading over at the Brian Enos forum.  The main thread they point to is a guy that did a ton of changes with less than 300 rounds through his shotgun?
View Quote

Well, when you say without any problems that would be dead reliable hard to beat, right!!

There are many threads on BE forum about the  930s, starting with one of the top tuners having high hopes for them but found they were not a solid enough platform for various reasons and now won't even touch one.

In my case the 1100 has run many more thousands of rounds and had no issue, my 930 ran like a champ out of the box then started to act up around 1000/1500rds, the tweaking began and at about 3000 I had the sore spots under control.
Five separate issues to be exact all rearing their head in combo and individually, some more often than others making it a little harder to solve.

First and most important the piston and rings have to be kept clean, an absolute must for this gun to run.

The 1100 has been around way longer so you will have way more options to get it set up to your liking.

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 3:00:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

The 1100s are good guns, but they can be quite tricky to get to run reliably with light loads AND heavy loads.  One or the other is easy.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:10:13 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a 930 and FN MK1 SLP.
The 930 has been a pleasure to shoot with less felt recoil and better reliability.
Granted I don't have thousands of shells down both guns but I have put between 500-1000 through each.
Clean your gun and it should treat you well.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:19:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You really need two guns for that list.  Clays, doves, etc and three gun are mutually exclusive..
View Quote

Can you explain why?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top