Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2014 9:18:21 PM EDT
Hey guys, I stopped in the local Cabelas and they had several Browning A5 shotguns.  I've always liked the A5 / Model 11 since my dad had one growing up, and I love to work on and restore old shotguns.  Three of them caught my eye, but I don't know how much they for or what to look for to tell a good one from a bad one.  

The first one was $400 and they dropped it to $$315 OTD.  It has poly chokes, but they seems to be stuck.  The finish was decent, probably 85-90%, and the barrel was just regular - no vent rib.  All the screws looked good, so I don't think anyone tried getting inside.  The wood was decent, but would need to be refinished.  

The second one was an A5 Light Twelve for $590 OTD IIRC, but they dropped it to $550.  I think I could get them to go lower because it had been there a long time.  The barrel was ribbed, not vent rib, but did not have any chokes.  The finish on this one was very similar as the first - 85-90%.  The wood was definitely worse, but no cracks in the forend, it just needs cleaned up.  Again, the screws looked good, so I don't think anyone tried getting inside.

The third one was also an A5 Light Twelve.  I was probably 90-95% with the best wood of all, but it was $660.  Again, they would probably negotiate, but this one seemed really high from the outset.  I forget the type of barrel, but I remember that the barrel was not threaded for chokes.  

As I described them, what do you guys think of these 3 guns?  How are the prices?  What should I look for before buying?

UPDATE:
I am now the proud new owner of a Browning A5 (the first gun I described above).  My buddy that knows all about A5s and Model 11s met me at the store and looked all 3 guns over.  He said the first one was the best.  I ended up getting it for $296 OTD.  

I plan on refinishing the wood and giving it a good cleaning.  Working on the barrel now, going to my buddy's house tomorrow to clean the internals.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:45:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I own one my father got while we were stationed in Germany in the '50s. Belgian made is the most desirable. At the prices you mentioned my first instinct is that they are Japanese. I have no experience with the Japanese product, but the Belgian guns are excellent shooters. They are not as sexy as the newer gas operated semi-autos out there, but mine has always been very reliable. Brownells has parts and springs for them last time I looked, so if I were you I would buy a complete set of springs to use if something breaks. And get a new set of friction rings for the same reason. If they are Japanese guns, at those prices I would consider buying them as shooters. Refinish to your hearts content, and shoot the crap out of them. If they are Belgian, consider a trip to the Browning shop for authorized refurbishment. And then shoot them alot.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:28:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I own one my father got while we were stationed in Germany in the '50s. Belgian made is the most desirable. At the prices you mentioned my first instinct is that they are Japanese. I have no experience with the Japanese product, but the Belgian guns are excellent shooters. They are not as sexy as the newer gas operated semi-autos out there, but mine has always been very reliable. Brownells has parts and springs for them last time I looked, so if I were you I would buy a complete set of springs to use if something breaks. And get a new set of friction rings for the same reason. If they are Japanese guns, at those prices I would consider buying them as shooters. Refinish to your hearts content, and shoot the crap out of them. If they are Belgian, consider a trip to the Browning shop for authorized refurbishment. And then shoot them alot.
View Quote

The barrels of all the ones I was interested in said Browning St. Louis, MO on the side of them.  I didn't check the receivers,
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:45:03 PM EDT
[#3]
check out the link below. it should help you identify the guns and  their origins. hope it helps.
If it was made in Belgium, it will say so somewhere on the barrel iirc.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-594651.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top