Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2014 8:14:51 PM EDT
I have a Mossberg 500c that was my grandfather's and was wondering what the approximate age is and if the older guns are worth more.

It has a 28 inch fixed choke (modified) barrel that doesn't have a vent rib on it just a bead sight on the muzzle.  It has a "jeweled" bolt, and there is no checkering on the stock. But there is vertical checkering on the forearm.  The serial number starts with a G107---.  Any help would be great.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:35:45 PM EDT
[#1]
No additional value for being old. A Mossberg 500 is a Mossberg 500 is a Mossberg 500. The fact that it's a 20 gauge helps a bit, but not much. In fact, deduct value for fixed choke and plain barrel. You've got a $150 to $175 shotgun. Common as dirt. No one will pay you more because it was your dear old grand dad's gun, either.

Sorry.

ETA: The fact that it has a serial number likely means it was made after 1968.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:38:29 PM EDT
[#2]
That's what I was thinking, just cerious if anyone could narrow the age down do to the features it has.  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's what I was thinking, just cerious if anyone could narrow the age down do to the features it has.  Thanks
View Quote

Shotguns had to bear a serial number after 1968. Screw-in chokes became common by the mid-1980s. Yours is probably a 1970s gun. When was your grandfather in his prime gun-buying years?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:04:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure when his gun buying years were.  Though this was the only Mossberg in his collection the rest were all Winchesters.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:24:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure when his gun buying years were.  Though this was the only Mossberg in his collection the rest were all Winchesters.
View Quote

In the life cycle of a man, guys tend to buy:

Affordable guns in their early gun buying years and while raising children
Nicer/more expensive guns when they're in their prime earning years (and the kids are more grown)
Guns they wanted but couldn't afford when they were young (or REALLY nice guns) once the kids are gone

When was your grandfather born? Add about 20-30 years and that's probably when he bought a plain barrel Mossberg.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top