Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2014 9:26:38 AM EDT
I am looking for the 3 inch shell with highest velocity and highest payload of buckshot (OO or OOO)on the market (ME per pellet).  I am not interested in dispersion.

Thank you,

TT
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:44:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#2]
My advice is try them before stocking up.  I steer clear of those type of loads because they are very punishing.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:57:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My advice is try them before stocking up.  I steer clear of those type of loads because they are very punishing.
View Quote

Huge +1! 3" shells offer only a little bit more payload for a lot more recoil.
Also, in most shotguns, you'll lose one round in capacity.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:22:23 AM EDT
[#4]
It's not fun.  Here's 24 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:09:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Anything with 15 pellets?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:57:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anything with 15 pellets?
View Quote

A quick Bing search brings up:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2900126368/winchester-super-x-magnum-ammunition-12-gauge-3-buffered-00-buckshot-15-pellets
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/123030/remington-express-ammunition-12-gauge-3-00-buckshot-15-pellets-box-of-5

You're not going to get the velocity from a 15 pellet load that you will with the 12 pellet loads.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:13:06 PM EDT
[#7]
That is correct no free lunch. I think if I was going to punish myself with 3" buck I would rather have the extra pellets.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:20:28 PM EDT
[#8]
The absolute worst kicking firearm I ever shot was an 870 using three inch number four buck.  Even with a recoil pad it was one and done.  Exactly what are you trying to kill?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:08:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The absolute worst kicking firearm I ever shot was an 870 using three inch number four buck.  Even with a recoil pad it was one and done.  Exactly what are you trying to kill?
View Quote

Not trying to kill anything.  Just want the hottest load out there if someone had done the testing/review, etc.
Recoil doesn't effect me.  Much.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:23:15 AM EDT
[#10]
It will after you shoot a box of 3 inch buck, way to much horsepower for me anyway.
Quoted:

Not trying to kill anything.  Just want the hottest load out there if someone had done the testing/review, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:15:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I did a lot of research on this about a year ago. Hornady Critical Defense easily came out on top. - JMHO, as always YMMV

Penetration was impressive (often 2x Federal 13200) with minimal shot deformation. Because it is 8 pellets instead of the typical 9, the recoil is not as punishing as you might expect. I found them very controllable with an easy return of sights on target.

Pro-Tip: Hornady's Zombie Defense 12 load is identical in every way except for the packaging/labeling. Sometimes you can find one or the other a little cheaper.

ETA- 1600fps!

ETA#2- Don't confuse punishing recoil with "power" (rate of energy transfer) and don't equate more pellets with being more effective. Eight 00 pellets travelling at 1600fps is far more effective on soft tissue than 18 of the same pellets travelling at 1120fps or 15 pellets travelling at 1220fps. My assertion is based on observed results on deer (many deer with various loads) and what you can calculate using the energy formula.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:42:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As others have said the 2 3/4 shells are a better choice, even with a shotgun you want the ability fire followup shots and it's just a lot easier with standard length shells.  Out of my 590 I actually like 2 3/4 buck - 3" no way.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I run the Remington 00 and have no problems.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:39:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I have shot it all.  Recoil does not effect me in the way it does others.  I am not concerned with a follow up shot.  I am not concerned with pattern.  Just energy per pellet, maximum amount of pellets.

Is there an online source that breaks this down?  And FWIW, those listed velocity are usually out of a very long barrel, and of different sizes making side by side comparisons difficult.

However, thank you for the suggestions.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:25:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Is there a big velocity change in different barrel lengths on a shotgun?? My understanding was that there is not much of one because of how low pressure they are compared to pistol of rifle rounds.

What are you planning on shooting?? If your pellets over penetrate and go all the way through your target that may not be ideal.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:50:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is there a big velocity change in different barrel lengths on a shotgun?? My understanding was that there is not much of one because of how low pressure they are compared to pistol of rifle rounds.

What are you planning on shooting?? If your pellets over penetrate and go all the way through your target that may not be ideal.
View Quote

Shotgun barrel length (shot not slug) does NOT make a huge difference in developed velocity. Depending on the powder and load you might get a marginal increase from 18" to ~22" (5-10fps/inch) but after that it is typically negligible until you start to see velocity loss from friction. HERE is a good article from SAR about it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top