Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2014 9:21:59 PM EDT
Recently picked up a Police 870 with standard 4+1 capacity. Planning on packing it for camping in a few weeks, and I'd like to throw on a light—I've got a SureFire Scout on my rifle and thought I'd swap it out for the time being, and look into a dedicated light down the line. All I need is a clamp with a rail mount option, and I've been eyeing Mesa's offerings. This is my first time playing around with illumination on a shotgun, so here are my questions:

Is anyone here running the Mesa Barrel Clamp (not to be confused with their Magazine Clamp) on their gun, and if so, how has it worked out?

Obviously the Magazine Clamp offers contact with a greater surface area, but does this make it a (significantly) more stable design? So much so that I should consider installing a magazine extension just to run this clamp?

Is there another approach to mounting a traditional light to a extension-tube-less 870 that I'm overlooking?

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I think of a magazine extension as a necessity. Elzetta also makes some mounts, give them a look.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:31:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Put a $5 piece of magpul rail directly on your fore-stock and mount the light to that.  Not perfect but works for a camp gun.  I use mag clamps with a rail and lights like TLR's so I can cut down on the total gear being carried and they will work with any gun I travel with.  Multipurpose is nice when space is limited.  At home or in the field I use larger lights but I live in a very remote area.

I prefer the Nordic clamps but Mesa is just as solid.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think of a magazine extension as a necessity.
View Quote

Not me.
OP, the Magpul forend makes mounting a light real easy. I don't run a light on mine though.
My 870P-

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted: I think of a magazine extension as a necessity. Elzetta also makes some mounts, give them a look.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted: I think of a magazine extension as a necessity. Elzetta also makes some mounts, give them a look.

For HD or whatever I'd agree, but camping is a different story. I'd rather avoid the added weight. I'll be reaching for the bear spray first anyway.

Quoted:
Put a $5 piece of magpul rail directly on your fore-stock and mount the light to that.  Not perfect but works for a camp gun.  I use mag clamps with a rail and lights like TLR's so I can cut down on the total gear being carried and they will work with any gun I travel with.  Multipurpose is nice when space is limited.  At home or in the field I use larger lights but I live in a very remote area.

Rather not drill into the purty walnut handguard. Could buy a beat-up duplicate I guess, but at that point why not get a MOE. I like the TLR idea though, they seem to be popular on shotguns.

Quoted:
OP, the Magpul forend makes mounting a light real easy. I don't run a light on mine though.

This is probably the quickest/cheapest/easiest solution. Just wish I could keep a little walnut on the gun. Already swapped the rear stock for a synthetic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top