Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2014 8:23:00 PM EDT
I just picked up a beautiful  very very very old Rem.mod11.  Can you guys who have worked on these and made them HD shotguns post some pics. I'd like to get an extended magazine tube for this.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:38:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Supposedly the extensions for the 870 will fit, if you shorten the threaded part on the extension, IIRC.

You can't put a clamp on the barrel as it moves under recoil.

Post some pictures. I have an ancient one, and I'd like to see how yours compares.

Cut to riot length(20"). Need to replace the recoil spring and friction ring, and end it to Guncat for a front bead.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:39:58 AM EDT
[#2]
This may or may not be helpful. It is a handwritten tally sheet from the Remington factory for model 11 shotguns produced from Sept. 30, 1919 to February 1926.

Mine was manufactured in July of 1923 and while it shows its age, it still runs perfect
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been eyeing one for a SBS, I just don't need one of course.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:37:12 PM EDT
[#4]
My serial is 275***
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:33:36 PM EDT
[#5]
870 extensions work with a spacer or you have to shave the threads down on mag tube which I would not recommend.

Mine was made in 1906 before they got the model 11 name. One of these days I might get it refinished but I like the character it has. I replaced the forend with a SILE stock so I wouldn't ruin the original. It is my go to fun gun and has been the most reliable auto loader I have owned.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:50:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

870 extensions work with a spacer or you have to shave the threads down on mag tube which I would not recommend.

View Quote
Thanks for the refresher on the mag extensions. I couldn't remember which way it was off the top of my head.

Oh, and SN: 20xxx

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:58:46 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want to really improve the handling change the lifter out to a two piece browning unit. You can get all the parts from MGW when they are in stock. No more having to push the release to load and you get the speed feed function of a browning A5. Best place to find original parts for the model 11 is Sarco

Got me beat on the serial number 81XXX. Love these old humpback shotguns. They just point naturally for me.

Two piece lifter in my model 11

Original Forend with two repaired cracks.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:44:25 PM EDT
[#8]
This one still needs some work, but I do plan to put a 870 +2 extension on it with a nylon spacer. I bought a unfitted stock set from Great American Gunstock Co which is no longer in business. I did the fitting and finishing myself. Eventually I will hot blue the metal on it.

I like seeing all the old stocks and early safeties. I have a Remington Autoloading Shotgun (RAS) from my maternal grandfather that unfortunately is a goner. The sleeve on the barrel failed, bent into the magazine tube and deformed it. This is the only failure I have seen on these shotguns except for cracked wood.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:48:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is mine with a Remington Model 10 pump.

I believe this Model 11 was made in 1916, if i recall correctly.  It came as a cheap Charlie Brown Christmas tree forgotten about and left in a corner of a gunshop for $190! with a polychoke.  I cut the barrel and parked it.  Refinished the wood, which was oil soaked.  Now its clean and mean!

This one holds 5 rounds, which is plenty for me.  Its a handy shotgun and a lot of fun to shoot.  It shoots cheap Rio buckshot well and the cheap walmart low brass loads (usually federal) without fail.  

</a>" />

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#10]
The 2 piece lifter is something that I've considered, but the parts aren't cheap.

I see that most of the guns posted are standard, rather than special grade.

The uncheckered stocks are a tell.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#11]
My dad (now mine....I "stole" it....lol) has a Remington M11 with a factory 20" barrel, that had a polychoke installed.   I put on a 3-shot tube extension.  Standard 870 tube plus a Shim and it works perfect.   Not a single problem with it, perfect little riot gun.  Looks awesome too :D

Just thought I'd chime in and say it could be done.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:18:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a fair collection of the A5 16's hanging around the house.  Something about them I guess.   Nothing out of the ordinary factory spec though.  

Theres a couple of cool guns here.  

Pretty cool reference of different models.

I really want one of these.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#13]
276xxx here...

Had thought that was 1923 manufacture from the markings on the barrel (barrel SN matches receiver), but the above info does not concur. Anyway, its old. A great gun to be sure and a lot of fun to shoot, but not something I'd ever use for Homeland Security. That is best left to an 870 or 500/590.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top