Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2014 4:44:36 PM EDT
Hi ya'll,

starting my SBS project and I'm very undecided on furniture.  The last 18.5in 870 i built i used the Hogue LOP kit with stock and forend and loved how it felt and handled but recently i got a chance to mess with an 870 with the Magpul stock kit on it and man, what a sweet stock!  It just feels so right! :)

This project will be a 12.5in 870 and i really want to use the magpul stock, however i'm not sold on the looks of the magpul forend and i remember how much i loved the feeling of the hogue overmold forend.  

has ANYone done this mixture of furniture?  any pics so i could see how it looks?  Furniture would be black for this build due to some cerekoting of the barrel and receiver a nice OD green.  I googled and googled today with no such luck of finding this particular mix of furniture.  I'm hoping someone can help me here on the forum :)

Thanks ahead of time for your responses/pics!
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#1]
ive seen a pic of a Mossberg 500 with that set up...

I have a Maverick 88 Field pump... that I was planning on buying a tactical barrel for, to set up as a Home defender,(with that stock /forend  combo)  and then swap out barrels when I go bird hunting...

however I decided to opt for something different

so....

I just ordered a H&R pardner from Cabela's  (witch is like an 870 clone) that I plan to run with that set up instead

I really Like the Feel of the Houge Overmolded forend

but would rather run it with the magpul stock...  

I think it will make a very operational combo...  

I like it...

ive been plotting that combo for last couple of weeks...

I guess Great minds think alike...

ps...  I might have a great mind but... I cant type for crap...  lol...

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:29:49 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 on great minds! lol

Please post a pic if/when you do the setup.  I'm really tempted to just buy both forends since they are only about 25 bucks each anyways and just sell whichever i don't like.  I just remember loving the hogue forend during my last 870 build.  

Anyone else?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:30:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the Magpul stock and Hogue forend myself, I personally think that is the best combo.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:11:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I think I might just try it!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:02:32 AM EDT
[#5]
never mind
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Nevermind what?! :p

Hogue forend delivered today. Still waiting to pick up the stock. Probably this upcoming weekend. Once the barrel gets back from Rose Action Sports I'll snap some pics.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nevermind what?! :p

Hogue forend delivered today. Still waiting to pick up the stock. Probably this upcoming weekend. Once the barrel gets back from Rose Action Sports I'll snap some pics.
View Quote

Brotha, did you ever get any pics?

Thanks......Pachucko
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#8]
JUST finished this yesterday :)   I LOVE the combo of the hogue fore end and Magpul stock.  So glad i took the chance on it.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#9]

That set up does look really nice. The Magpul forend's extra length at the front makes it look a little odd on a SBS, especially a 12.5".  I am putting a 14" 870 together and one of my requirements is a light mounted at 9:00 ON the forend. A light mounted on the mag tube is way too far forward to be practical IMO.  There is no better forend than the Magpul for mounting a light in my opinion. I would love to have used one on my SBS, but I don't like the way it covers the barrel lug / nut. If you don't need to mount a light, the Hogue looks like a nice forend. I ended up taking a Dremel to the factory 870P forend to attach a Magpul cantilever rail section for my light.

I would like to see photos of any mods done to attach a light directly to the Hogue forend. It's a pretty simple mod on the Remington forend but I am not sure if it can be done on the Hogue.

</a>" />
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:04:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't make fun of this, I only spent about 5 minutes on it and just wanted to see what it looked like. I laid the rail section on top of the overmolded forend and cut the rubber with a razor knife. I then used a dremel tool with a sanding wheel to make a flat-ish spot for the rail section to sit on. I then ground the polymer rail section down to where it sits almost flush (I should have gone lower). Next, I drilled and tapped the plastic on the forend for a screw. Finally, I set the whole thing with JB Weld and threaded in the screw (also coated in JB Weld). Like I said, it doesn't look great but I just wanted to see on a forend I didn't care about much. I sent in the paperwork to shorten this shotgun so this forend won't fit forever anyway.

The light is a WMLX with a Surefire diffuser on it, it works AMAZINGLY well indoors.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#11]

So that's an H&R pardner in 12guage? What rear sight are you using?

Nice looking set up.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:52:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Remington 870 Police with Vang Comp sights
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:23:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Did Rose install the sights or Van Comp?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:47:33 PM EDT
[#14]
neither i had a local guy to me in NOVA do the sights.  Steve just cut and crowned my barrel for me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:48:06 PM EDT
[#15]
ordered the sights from Brownells btw
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:56:41 AM EDT
[#16]

That is one nice shotgun!
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:35:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Thank you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top