Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2014 4:25:40 PM EDT
Due to an issue with the barrel on our dept. shotgun I did a tax-free Form 1 and had the barrel cut to 14" and a bead installed.  Issue is the bead's essentially on the barrel without the small riser that Remington installs so one has to aim at the belt line to hit upper chest area of standard targets.  Can anyone recommend an aftermarket sight that would compensate for this or am I better off attempting to get what Remington currently installs and having that attached?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:49:53 PM EDT
[#1]
A factory style base and bead can be installed (message sent with details)

This stick on sight might work too

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:52:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Due to an issue with the barrel on our dept. shotgun I did a tax-free Form 1 and had the barrel cut to 14" and a bead installed.  Issue is the bead's essentially on the barrel without the small riser that Remington installs so one has to aim at the belt line to hit upper chest area of standard targets.  Can anyone recommend an aftermarket sight that would compensate for this or am I better off attempting to get what Remington currently installs and having that attached?
View Quote

You can install a tall fiber optic front sight pretty easy. Otherwise install the small riser and then the bead
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:22:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a gunsmith to install (solder) a riser and bead, unless you want something else, like the low-pro XS rifle sights. Those are nice.

So what "issue" was this?

Wrecked unit, or fired with the muzzle underwater?
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#4]
The "issue" is classified

The Tru-Glo sight is interesting, I wonder if a sling plate or the retaining ring on the barrel would interfere with it?  That would likely be my most cost effective option. Anyone ever used one on a 14"er?
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:48:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I suspect they both would. Possibly you could notch it to clear. I wouldn't use it, personally. I don't think it's durable enough to hold-up. It'd be cool if you proved me wrong though.

So now I'm down to simple barrel obstruction. You can't hide from the truth...
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I run the Wilson Combat/Scattergun Tech Trak Lock sight on my 14" 870. Great, ghost ring-style setup.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:57:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know, for the $14 it'd cost I may just give it a whirl.

It's worse - It has to do with a belief that the barrel was originally 20" and then having a local smith shorten it by 1.5" instead of to a total length - picking up what I'm putting down?  I'm not authorized to divulge any further information regarding this matter..
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:32:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I completely understand!

ATF would, I'm sure, as well. Undertaken "on behalf of" the agency and all that... timeframes can become less relevant.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:06:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, the tax-free Form 1 only took about a month at a time when everyone else was waiting 6+ months.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Went with the TruGlo option.  It fits fine and stayed on for a whole (whoop-dee-do, I know) string of buckshot.  It was also high enough to bring the POA/POI closer to normal.

I guess we'll see how it holds up, just an FYI.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Well that first pic shows factory mag cap, i.e. no extension and is really a breacher @ approx. 12"
Otherwise you can order a Williams ramped sight base and change out the dovetail sight blades.  These bases can be screwed on like the removeable sights on a Rem or Win hunting rifle that you subsequently fill with plug screw when you add a scope.
Silver solder it that way to go if you want a perm riser.  Cannot be removed without a torch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top