Quoted:
Any range reports since the add ons?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any range reports since the add ons?

Quoted:
I've owned mine for a while....taken it to the range three times.

1) Hard recoil with anything other than target loads. I put a Limbsaver on it AND an aftermarket muzzle brake. More shooting will be needed to see if these items help with slugs.

2) Short stroking is easy to do. Rack it hard and this will not be an issue. The two times that it was slow to feed were operator error.

3) Very fun gun to shoot and to own. Looks and feels cool.

I like it and look forward to shooting it again. It's got an Aimpot on it and a Tapco VFG (the shorter one).

Range report:
I ran quite a few different slug/buck/target loads through the KSG yesterday. All 2 3/4.  (...keeping in mind the whole time that the idea was to compare felt recoil as it is now with how it was before the instalation of the Limbsaver and the muzzle brake.)

All target loads--light and heavy-- felt perfectly fine.

The two types of low recoil slugs were also fine. The felt recoil was less than it was before the modifications, but slightly more noticable that the target loads mentioned above.

The last type of shells tested were Law Enforcement 00 buck. They had a bit of a kick, but still no discomfort. I wouldn't want to shoot a lot of them back to back. That might have lead to some discomfort.

No standard slugs, no 3" shells were tested.

I'm very pleased with the results.

If I were a bigger dude or if I never had shoulder surgery, maybe none of this would matter.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:13:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I just put the Mesa Tactical rail on mine with the 12 round shell carrier. That added weight really helps mitigate recoil.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:18:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just put the Mesa Tactical rail on mine with the 12 round shell carrier. That added weight really helps mitigate recoil.
View Quote

Really?

Can you link me or give us a picture?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:10:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Really?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:55:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Heavy duty, homie!

I think we're both using the same VFG.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:17:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I sold my Gen 1 and I'm seriously thinking of getting another one. They are fun, I'm glad to hear most of the problems have been ironed out.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I never really considered buying one after my initial interest and reading some early reviews. The "accident" described in the link below is a situation I never thought about; the possibility of the support hand running the forend slipping (or a vertical grip breaking) and the hand getting  in front of the muzzle. I checked snopes to see if it may be a rumor and found nothing.

Can you really get your support hand in front of the muzzle while shooting it?

Does a pump action bull pup shotgun really make sense? For those that like yours, good for you. I just attended a 3 day shotgun class with my 14" 870P and know for certain I have no interest in the KSG.

KSG Accident
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:42:54 PM EDT
[#9]
DWood,
You know, I felt the exact same way you do until I got to run one and then I HAD to have one. They are a whole different kind of fun and quite frankly, possibly the ultimate HD shotgun because they are so manueverable and very accurate. Regarding the grip shearing off the rail and the hand slipping in front of the barrel, I just don't see how it could happen unless the forend was damaged by extreme abuse from the operator. First of all, I would think you would notice that your hand slipped off the forend before you pulled the trigger. Additionally, I have hundreds of rounds through mine and I'm not exactly gentle with it and I've had zero issues to speak of and no sign that the rail on the forend is at any risk of failure.  IMO, a guy who is capable of doing that shouldn't own a firearm at all.

Quoted:
I never really considered buying one after my initial interest and reading some early reviews. The "accident" described in the link below is a situation I never thought about; the possibility of the support hand running the forend slipping (or a vertical grip breaking) and the hand getting  in front of the muzzle. I checked snopes to see if it may be a rumor and found nothing.

Does a pump action bull pup shotgun really make sense? For those that like yours, good for you. I just attended a 3 day shotgun class with my 14" 870P and know for certain I have no interest in the KSG.

KSG Accident
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Had a green KSG. I loved it until I shot it. After 45 rounds I couldn't shoot it anymore. My wrist was so bruised every time I ejected a shell it hurt. It didn't miss a beat in the few rounds I fired, but it didn't miss my wrist. It is now sold and with the proceeds I bought a preban Colt AR15.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:21:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Had a green KSG. I loved it until I shot it. After 45 rounds I couldn't shoot it anymore. My wrist was so bruised every time I ejected a shell it hurt. It didn't miss a beat in the few rounds I fired, but it didn't miss my wrist. It is now sold and with the proceeds I bought a preban Colt AR15.
View Quote

I saw several Youtube vids on this very subject.

That's why I bought a pair of military flight gloves at an Army Navy store....even before I ever fired the thing. The gloves cover half of your forearm.

You're right about the ejecting shells, though.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:14:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

That's why I bought a pair of military flight gloves at an Army Navy store....even before I ever fired the thing. The gloves cover half of your forearm.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

$4 wrist sweat band protects my arm, most of the shells don't hit me though.

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 4:16:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
At least Keltec is trying different things.
View Quote

The KSG action is old too. It's the same action as the Remington model 17, the Ithaca 37 and the Browning BPS all based on JMB's original design.
The KSG I got to run was a friend's and while it functioned great the cheek weld sucked and I would never choose that action type for a defensive shotgun mainly because after running and repairing 37's I've seen what a simple double feed or failure to extract does to that type of action. It renders the gun a club. A gun with a separate ejection port can be cleared if there is a feeding malfunction. A gun thats feed function blocks access to the chamber thereby blocking ejection/clearance renders the gun inoperable without major attention that can cost you your life if there is no transition weapon. If those lifter arms bypass a jammed empty, they try to pick up a new shell, now you have a new shell on the lifter so how do you get the stuck empty out?  I've done it, its hard and all it takes is for an extractor to slip, an empty to stick or one of the shell lifter arms to bend just a hair. In a standard feed and eject system this can be worked around, in these guns you're fucked.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:09:45 PM EDT
[#14]
on the wrist hitting.

I havent had this problem personally but watching others shoot the KSG I think it comes down to where your placement is on the buttstock. If you fire it like an M4 where your putting the small bottom section of the butt in your shoulder and riding it high to get a cheek weld without dipping your head as much it makes your grip arm come OUT more at about a 15 degree angle from under the ejection port.

If your more an old school shooter and  stock weld the butt to the top of the buttplate and lay your head down to get cheek weld your arm is more likely going to be in line with the weapon.

neither effects your shooting accuracy with this weapon ( although I have heard squad snipers being taught to use the bottom of the butt plate hugher on thier shoulders to keep the head erect more for cheek weld.)

so.. Open your armpit a but bend your wrist so the recoil is in your shoulder and not coming down your arm.. then try ejecting shells
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
DWood,
You know, I felt the exact same way you do until I got to run one and then I HAD to have one. They are a whole different kind of fun and quite frankly, possibly the ultimate HD shotgun because they are so manueverable and very accurate. Regarding the grip shearing off the rail and the hand slipping in front of the barrel, I just don't see how it could happen unless the forend was damaged by extreme abuse from the operator. First of all, I would think you would notice that your hand slipped off the forend before you pulled the trigger. Additionally, I have hundreds of rounds through mine and I'm not exactly gentle with it and I've had zero issues to speak of and no sign that the rail on the forend is at any risk of failure.  IMO, a guy who is capable of doing that shouldn't own a firearm at all.

Quoted:

KSG Accident
View Quote

Doesn't anyone read the whole article any more?  For all of you that are worried about a vert grip breaking off and shooting your pump hand off, the person this happened to is a moron.  Yes, I said it.  I have little sympathy for people that do "stupid" things with guns.  The problem he had is that he used a vert grip that attaches with a single nylon stud that runs up through the center of the grip.  The rails on the KSG have a groove running down the center like most HK rails.  They are not mil-spec.  The virt grip he used had "nothing" to hold it onto the rail except a little stud/screw tension.  If you use a vert grip that has two cross bolts like a Magpul or Tango Down it would be damn near impossible for the grip to slide off.  His grip did not "break off" like some are saying.  This story is like a game of telephone, it keeps morphing every time it is told.

Rant over

ETA: I have a Remmy 870 SBS (with 12" and 14" barrels) and although that is my HD gun I definitely use my KSG more when I go out shooting.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 4:45:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I think maybe u don't know what you talking about.
My ksg has no groove running down the rail that a person would attach a very grip
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 5:59:55 PM EDT
[#17]
double tap
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
DWood,

Doesn't anyone read the whole article any more?  For all of you that are worried about a vert grip breaking off and shooting your pump hand off, the person this happened to is a moron.  Yes, I said it.  I have little sympathy for people that do "stupid" things with guns.  The problem he had is that he used a vert grip that attaches with a single nylon stud that runs up through the center of the grip.  The rails on the KSG have a groove running down the center like most HK rails.  They are not mil-spec.  The virt grip he used had "nothing" to hold it onto the rail except a little stud/screw tension.  If you use a vert grip that has two cross bolts like a Magpul or Tango Down it would be damn near impossible for the grip to slide off.  His grip did not "break off" like some are saying.  This story is like a game of telephone, it keeps morphing every time it is told.

Rant over

ETA: I have a Remmy 870 SBS (with 12" and 14" barrels) and although that is my HD gun I definitely use my KSG more when I go out shooting.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
DWood,

Quoted:

KSG Accident

Rant over

The rail is solid like a picatinny spec but the stud on the grip sheared off. That grip had no cross bolt or block like a Magpul or Tango Down it was like the old Knights grip. That said I have still seen reports of the Keltec rail sections snapping off on people. I would not trust a polymer  rail on a dynamic component  like a pump forend anyhow, murphy is everywhere.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top