Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2014 9:21:55 AM EDT
My 870 Tactical comes with a full length/one piece (18 inch) shell tube. Im looking to have it cut to be even with my 14 inch barrel for my SBS build.  Is this something a gunsmith can easily do?  I even thought of not threading it after the cutting and just permanently installing the cap. Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#1]
That was my main reason not to buy a 870 and buy a mossberg 500 instead. Threaded from the factory.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:07:20 PM EDT
[#2]
New threads can be carefully cut with a lathe (the tube is thin) on the front end, or the tube can be removed from the receiver, cut at the receiver end and then soldered/pressed back into place.

A good gunsmith could do it, but I doubt it will be cheap.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:56:34 AM EDT
[#3]
My thought is to buy a gun with the short tube to begin with. Unless you are attached to that particular gun I cant imagine it being cheaper. You can find short tube 870's all day long for 300 new or less on the used market.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:09:05 AM EDT
[#4]
^This.^

You'll save yourself a lot of money and trouble in the long run.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:41:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My 870 Tactical comes with a full length/one piece (18 inch) shell tube. Im looking to have it cut to be even with my 14 inch barrel for my SBS build.  Is this something a gunsmith can easily do?  I even thought of not threading it after the cutting and just permanently installing the cap. Any thoughts?
View Quote

Unless you have a special 14" barrel with a specially positioned lug to allow the use of a matching length tube you will have to use a tubular spacer slid down over the tube to give the tube nut something to push against the lug with.

If I was doing this I would, make a study hardwood, steel or aluminum jig that located off of the top and one side of the receiver and had two v-blocks for contact along the length of the tube. Once the jig fit is proven on the existing tube I would, with a torch, melt the existing solder braze and remove the tube, cut it to desired length, deburr and prep for resoldering, and upon ensuring that I have a compatible match in silver solder I would reheat and insert and resolder using the jig as a guide.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:20:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Unless you have a special 14" barrel with a specially positioned lug to allow the use of a matching length tube you will have to use a tubular spacer slid down over the tube to give the tube nut something to push against the lug with.

If I was doing this I would, make a study hardwood, steel or aluminum jig that located off of the top and one side of the receiver and had two v-blocks for contact along the length of the tube. Once the jig fit is proven on the existing tube I would, with a torch, melt the existing solder braze and remove the tube, cut it to desired length, deburr and prep for resoldering, and upon ensuring that I have a compatible match in silver solder I would reheat and insert and resolder using the jig as a guide.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm confused. He is talking about having his tube shortened so that a standard 870 barrel fits on it. No spacers or anything else needed.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm confused. He is talking about having his tube shortened so that a standard 870 barrel fits on it. No spacers or anything else needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The mag cap presses against the barrel ring to hold the barrel into the receiver. The OP mentioned having his Tactical model (long) mag tube cut down to match the length of a 14” barrel (which would have the mag tube ring in the standard location. That is going to leave a space between the cap on the end of the (cut down) mag tube and the mag tube ring under the barrel. A spacer would be needed to let the mag cap (however you it attach to the cut down tube) keep the barrel held into the receiver.

With the millions of standard 870 barrels out there that new “tactical” 870 with its new mag tube and barrel configuration is gonna cause a lot of confusion.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#8]
What about a standard length tube/receiver with a plus 1 extension (and trim the +1 to match the 14” barrel length?

Much cheaper and easier to do project that cutting – threading - brazing, etc. a factory mag tube
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The mag cap presses against the barrel ring to hold the barrel into the receiver. The OP mentioned having his Tactical model (long) mag tube cut down to match the length of a 14” barrel (which would have the mag tube ring in the standard location. That is going to leave a space between the cap on the end of the (cut down) mag tube and the mag tube ring under the barrel. A spacer would be needed to let the mag cap (however you it attach to the cut down tube) keep the barrel held into the receiver.

With the millions of standard 870 barrels out there that new “tactical” 870 with its new mag tube and barrel configuration is gonna cause a lot of confusion.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I really am missing something here. If he cuts the mag tube down to the standard length and has it threaded how is it going to be any different than a standard 870 at that point???

I agree that the new guns are going to be strange although if you were starting over I think it makes more sense. Hell, the only reason we have 18" barrels as the standard is our stupid laws anyway. 14" makes just as much sense especially with 4 shot tubes being standard.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:15:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I may the confused one..

What we need is for the OP to clarify whether he wants his current tactical model mag tube cut down to (1) match the overall length of a 14” barrel – or - (2) match the original (standard) mag tube length that works with the susual 870 barrel of any length.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I may the confused one..

What we need is for the OP to clarify whether he wants his current tactical model mag tube cut down to (1) match the overall length of a 14” barrel – or - (2) match the original (standard) mag tube length that works with the susual 870 barrel of any length.
View Quote

Nope I missed where he said even, my apologies buddy. I just assumed he wanted it to be standard length.

My advice to OP remains the same. Buy a old style 870 and start from there or if you cut your tube cut it to the original length.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:00:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Buy an old PD gun if you are going Form 1.
These guys are worth crap after you've sunk $200 into the stamp. Don't get me wrong it's neat but I am glad I picked up mine for a bargain long ago,  said to have come from the Georgia SBI which gives it some character I guess.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top