Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2014 5:16:22 PM EDT
I have been shooting backyard clays for a couple years now with my semi auto. I am going to shoot a couple matches at a club in the coming month's and am ready to upgrade my shotgun. I am thinking of an OU with atleast a 30" set of barrels. I am trying to keep the price around $700 give or take a little. What are the hives suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#1]
You might be able to find a used Browning Citori or Beretta 686 in that price range, but at that price it will likely have fixed chokes.  You will get a better selection if you can expand your budget to $900-$1000.

Some will advise you to look at lower end O/Us such as Huglu, Baikal or TriStar.  Those lower end guns might last a thousand rounds or so without problems, but they will begin to self destruct after that.  Also, the crappy triggers will cause you to develop all sorts of bad habits in clay shooting.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#2]
So if I do up my budget what would you suggest? Also what chokes should I use?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I shoot a Browning, friends shoot Berettas....best to try both... if you can find one of the newer Browning Citoris with the Invector Plus choke tubes, they typically come with factory lengthened  forcing cones and back bored... I shoot a light modified extended Briley choke... I have one in my 21" Benelli also
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Read, read a lot.  Shotgunworld and trapshooters have lots of good information.  Lots of BS also - like GD here.

It really depends on how much you want to shoot.  Good O/U's cost $, inexpensive O/U's give up something - quality, warranty, something.  A gal I know started with a Baikal o/u field gun.  It made it a couple years and the triggers crapped out in the middle of the state skeet tournament.  She upgraded to a Beretta (682).

If you're just talking an occasional round of skeet and you are not thinking about getting into subgauge tubes etc. buy a CZ - they are as good or better than most of the $1,000 +/- guns.  It's kind of a crap shoot how long they are going to last.  

If you're at all serious then look for a used competition model Beretta or Browning (I prefer Beretta because they fit me better, but Brownings are fine too)  You should be able to do well for under $2,000, and maybe $1,500.  Beretta 682's are really hard to beat.  The older 682 silver receivers can usually be found for around 1500 give or take.  The 682 Gold is a little newer, has a black receiver and will run a little more, The 682 Gold E is the latest and last evolution of the 682 and will run more (maybe $2500 +, They were over $4,000 new). The 686 series are pretty much the same mechanically but a bit cheaper, not as nicely finished - but a lot of them are field guns which can be a little light for skeet (also have automatic safety, no mid rib bead, no palm swells, etc)

My personal philosophy is buy the best gun you can for the money you have.  If you have 700 to spend I'd find the best autoloader you can find rather than a cheap o/u, for $700 you'll get a better auto than you will an o/u unless you get lucky.

Watch the trap and skeet clubs - guns are coming and going all the time there.  Shotgunworld and trapshooters both have classifieds sections, trapshooters is a bit more active in the classifieds section.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So if I do up my budget what would you suggest? Also what chokes should I use?
View Quote

I'd still stick with Beretta or Browning.   You will likely find a few used ones in that price range that have removable chokes.   Improved Cylinder is very popular as an all around choke, and will break clays decisively out to 45 yards or so.   Most used guns will come with a couple of chokes, with Improved Cylinder, Modified and Fulll being the most common.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:28:30 PM EDT
[#6]
What about the Winchester 101 series?  They any good?  I'm considering them myself
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#7]
For some reason, Winchester 101s kick like a mule.   Other Japanese made shotguns do not (Miroku, for example), so it must be the overall design.  

If you find a 101 that you like, I'd suggest shooting it a bit to see if you can live with the recoil.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:47:40 PM EDT
[#8]
What do you guys think of the new version of the ruger red label for clays?

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#9]
The revamped Ruger Red Label is OK if you intend to use it for hunting or occasional clays practice.  It is not intended or designed for high volume clay shooting, and thus will not have the longer term durability of even the Beretta or Browning entry level O/Us.  Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The revamped Ruger Red Label is OK if you intend to use it for hunting or occasional clays practice.  It is not intended or designed for high volume clay shooting, and thus will not have the longer term durability of even the Beretta or Browning entry level O/Us.  Just my opinion.
View Quote

That's all true... sad that Ruger has such a hard time making a good O/U (old or new version). The Beretta or Browning O/U are really where it starts for good quality double guns.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:24:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why isn't it designed for high volume?

The reason I was even asking about the Red Label is one of the guys on the squads ahead of us this weekend had one and was shooting it for over 30 years without incident.  He is a club regular.

I'm pretty new to this side of shooting sports.  Looking to get into a solid O/U without spending the equivalent of a entry-level Class III SMG on one.   I did notice that most shooters were using Brownings based on the characteristic gold trigger and buck marks.( this clue wasn't lost on me).  Got me thinking about looking for a used Browning or Miroku too.  There were obviously others on the field too, berettas, and then there were the guys with the high dollar guns.

I kind of like the clean lines of the Red Label, it's American origin, and Ruger's current customer service outlook.  I'm seeing lots of stories of beretta and browning service online.  I'd probably just go with a local smith if I can for any repairs from the sounds of it.  Not looking to spark a debate, but really looking for advice into my  first O/U in the $750-1300 range without handing my money over to the Turks if possible.  I'm not putting a blue ribbon on Ruger, but if anything, they are reliable and functional in spades albeit a bit chunky for every other shooting need.  The RL doesn't seem to stray that far from that sentiment.  And as stated, I do find it to be an attractive O/U coming from a world of rifles and pistols, but I can see how an enthusiast of o/U's may find them to look like an anvil.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:26:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The reason I was even asking about the Red Label is one of the guys on the squads ahead of us this weekend had one and was shooting it for over 30 years without incident.  He is a club regular.

I'm pretty new to this side of shooting sports.  Looking to get into a solid O/U without spending the equivalent of a entry-level Class III SMG on one.   I did notice that most shooters were using Brownings based on the characteristic gold trigger and buck marks.( this clue wasn't lost on me).  Got me thinking about looking for a used Browning or Miroku too.  There were obviously others on the field too, berettas, and then there were the guys with the high dollar guns.

I kind of like the clean lines of the Red Label, it's American origin, and Ruger's current customer service outlook.  I'm seeing lots of stories of beretta and browning service online.  I'd probably just go with a local smith if I can for any repairs from the sounds of it.  Not looking to spark a debate, but really looking for advice into my  first O/U in the $750-1300 range without handing my money over to the Turks if possible.  I'm not putting a blue ribbon on Ruger, but if anything, they are reliable and functional in spades albeit a bit chunky for every other shooting need.  The RL doesn't seem to stray that far from that sentiment.  And as stated, I do find it to be an attractive O/U coming from a world of rifles and pistols, but I can see how an enthusiast of o/U's may find them to look like an anvil.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That guy must have a one of a kind Red Label prototype.   They did not come out until 1995.

Notice how many Red Labels are successfully used on the competitive clays fields.   The answer is zero.   Red Labels get loose actions after not too many rounds when compared to better quality O/Us.  If you really like one, get it, but do not expect it to last nearly as long as a better quality O/U.

Ask the Ruger guy at your gun club if you can handle and shoot his gun.   Then compare it to a similar round count Beretta or Browning.   Notice the difference in lock up and top lever function and movement.  

Also remember, there is a marked difference between a "club regular" and a high volume shooter.   I shoot more clays in a month than the local "club regulars" shoot in a year.   Most if them are there for the social aspects alone.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That guy must have a one of a kind Red Label prototype.   They did not come out until 1995.

Notice how many Red Labels are successfully used on the competitive clays fields.   The answer is zero.   Red Labels get loose actions after not too many rounds when compared to better quality O/Us.  If you really like one, get it, but do not expect it to last nearly as long as a better quality O/U.

Ask the Ruger guy at your gun club if you can handle and shoot his gun.   Then compare it to a similar round count Beretta or Browning.   Notice the difference in lock up and top lever function and movement.  

Also remember, there is a marked difference between a "club regular" and a high volume shooter.   I shoot more clays in a month than the local "club regulars" shoot in a year.   Most if them are there for the social aspects alone.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good info thanks.  

Yes this can often be a social club with guns on the trap/skeet/clays field.  No problem with that if it makes them happy.  It keeps the dues low for my primary interest on the rifle and pistol ranges at the club.

Any recommendations in the $750-$1300 range even used?   If I really take to this, the sky is the limit on what I'll buy.  But I don't want to get involved in a $5000-$10000 gun while I feel out this sport.  If I'm short hanging myself, please say so.    I don't need to impress anyone but I'd hate to have to pack up and go home because my gun broke, or miss half a season waiting in repairs.  

I'm expecting to be shooting a lot.  But for fun.  Not looking to beat anyone but my previous scores for now.  If I take to it, I'll go all in.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:51:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I assume that you are looking for an O/U.  

With a $1300 limit, you *might* be able to find a gently used Browning Citori or Beretta 686 that has interchangeable chokes.  Your local clay shooting club is a good place to start.   Checking the bulletin board there, and ask some of the older guys if they know of anyone who has one for sale.   Buying local allows you to take it for a test drive, check the lockup, wood, overall condition, etc.  

I shoot a Beretta semi automatic competitively, so don't overlook a quality semi auto (Beretta or Benelli are both good options, albeit used in that price range for a good sporting gun).  

Trapshooter.com has a decent online sales area, with occasional deals to be had.  It will also serve as a resource for price ranges that wil aid you in your decision.

Upping your budget to $2k opens up a lot more options in new guns, but starting out used and shooting for a while will allow you to better decide what you want, and what kind of financial commitment you want to get in to.

If you do get bit by the competitive clays bug, keep in mind that the cost of even a higher end shotgun quickly pales in comparison to the overall cost of shells, practice and entry fees.  

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Correct on O/U

All good info.  Agree that the variable costs are larger if I plan on being truely competitive.  That's true of any sport.

Will look into semis as well.   Need to take a few more trips and talk to other shooters.  

I've been using my rusty, cracked 870 express in 20ga.  Clays still break.   The gun keeps trucking.  I'm still having fun.  But I'm looking forward to setting myself up for a a semi-serious attempt at immersing myself.

By the end of the winter I'm sure I'll be sharing whatever I ultimately choose here.. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#16]
You have been given a lot of good advice here.
Don't attempt to save money on a cheap O/U.
It will cost you in the long run.

You can save a lot by looking at a used Citori or Beretta with 28" barrels.
30" plus are all the rage, and everybody wants them, leaving the 28" as bargains.

I have both, prefer the 30", but realistically shoot about as well with the 28". I'm
just not as cool with the shorter barrels.

If you up you price a little, look at the Browning 525. You can get into a good used one in the $1400-1600 range, maybe a little
cheaper. they were real hot for a while, then Browning introduced the 625, and then the 725, cooling off the market for the 525 a bit.

I shoot a 525, and it is still my favorite, even over my Beretta 682.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#17]
For a $1,000 over/under start watching the Gunbroker auctions. Good deals slip through quite often these days. If it were me, I'd be looking for a Browning Citori or an SKB. I'm also fond of the old pre-Browning Miroku guns (either Miroku brand or Charles Daly/Miroku). Those will be fixed choke guns, though. Berettas are nice but finding one with 30" tubes and screw-in chokes for a grand is going to be pretty tough.

My own preference is the SKB. In fact I sold a friend my old Citori (for $1,000) and kept my SKB 785 because it fits me better. If you look at SKB guns, the model number tells you a lot. The higher the number, the fancier the gun (the internals are identical). A 5 at the end of a three-digit model number means it's a screw-in choke gun.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:40:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For a $1,000 over/under start watching the Gunbroker auctions. Good deals slip through quite often these days. If it were me, I'd be looking for a Browning Citori or an SKB. I'm also fond of the old pre-Browning Miroku guns (either Miroku brand or Charles Daly/Miroku). Those will be fixed choke guns, though. Berettas are nice but finding one with 30" tubes and screw-in chokes for a grand is going to be pretty tough.

My own preference is the SKB. In fact I sold a friend my old Citori (for $1,000) and kept my SKB 785 because it fits me better. If you look at SKB guns, the model number tells you a lot. The higher the number, the fancier the gun (the internals are identical). A 5 at the end of a three-digit model number means it's a screw-in choke gun.
View Quote

Miroku / CD is exactly what one of the guys recommended for a good "starter" gun.  

I know who miroku is from my experience with rifles.  No question they are quality.  Well assure they make many Brownings.

I'm also thinking of taking a trip over to Connecticut shotgun to see what I can absorb without being a pest.   They are out of my range at the moment, but I a quick study.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Miroku / CD is exactly what one of the guys recommended for a good "starter" gun.  

I know who miroku is from my experience with rifles.  No question they are quality.  Well assure they make many Brownings.

I'm also thinking of taking a trip over to Connecticut shotgun to see what I can absorb without being a pest.   They are out of my range at the moment, but I a quick study.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EVERY Browning Citori is, in fact, a Miroku. In the early 70s, Browning negotiated an exclusive contract for U.S. sales of Miroku guns and that marked the end to the old Charles Daly Mirokus. Miroku-branded guns don't bring the same money as a Browning, but they are actually the same quality (though the old Charles Daly Mirokus are earlier generation guns and parts are an issue).

I really like the old Miroku and Miroku/Charles Daly shotguns, but there are trade-offs if you go that route. First, they're at least 40 years old. Parts availability is pretty sketchy. Also, you're looking at fixed choke guns. A 30 inch barrel gun is going to be choked full and modified (or tighter). It's easy enough to have the chokes opened to something more usable. You may or may not be able to have the barrels threaded for thin-wall choke tubes. I had my 28" barrel Miroku over/under threaded for tubes but the same guy who did that work refused to thread the barrels on my Miroku/Charles Daly side-by-side and opened the chokes instead. It all depends on how much meat there is to the barrel walls.

Still, you can get some beautiful guns for not much money. I recently bought a 30" Charles Daly/Miroku Superior Trap gun on Gunbroker for $565 shipped. It's got fantastic wood and really nice engraving. It's just a beautiful gun -- much nicer than anything else you could buy for $600 but, again, there are trade-offs.

FWIW, I actually think the CZ guns are worth looking at. I shoot with a couple of guys who use CZ over/unders and they're happy with them. I have a 20 gauge CZ Bobwhite side-by-side and it's a great gun for the money.

And again, I like the SKB guns. They're not made any more but the old importer in Omaha, Nebraska, has a shit ton of parts and offers great service. I'd look for a 505, 605 or better (i.e. 585, 685, 785). I paid $1,100 for a 30" 785 that is just a fantastic shotgun. I also have a fixed choke (skt/skt) SKB 500 with 28" tubes that I paid $500 for (I use it as a loaner when a friend wants to try shooting skeet). I'm an SKB fan.

The safe advice, though, is to find a used "B-gun" (Browning or Beretta). If you have $1,000 to spend you can find a used Browning Citori with screw-in chokes if you beat the bushes. It may take a while to find that deal but those deals are out there. At $1,000 you're probably looking at 28" barrels and likely a field gun instead of a target specific model. I wouldn't buy a 26" barrel gun personally, and I'd try my bestest to find 30" barrels. You're going to have to be really good at beating the bushes to find a desirable Beretta for $1,000.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:57:08 AM EDT
[#20]
I've been looking at over/unders myself lately, not sure what made the bug bite me but here I am.  I think I'm just going to stick with my 870 28" until I can afford a good Browning.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Ok I just went and looked at a bunch of silver pigeons and citori 725's

Pretty damn nice.  Even with my admittedly limited level of knowledge and skill, that's a lot of gun for the money compared to the next rung up.

The beretta felt nicer but the browning fit me nicer.  Need to shoot both.

Here is a question from left field.  I'm also curious about the Browning A5.   I picked up a light 20 and it was really nice feeling.   Any reason to not consider these old autos?   I know they are not in the same category as the beretta or newer browning O/Us.   I just need to get the A5 out of my system I think.

I also found a nice used older CZ SxS in what appeared to be black chrome.   It was really nice.  But I'm not going to let myself get a SxS.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:56:58 PM EDT
[#22]
you're welcome...

https://www.krieghoff.com/
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:08:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
you're welcome...

View Quote

LOL.   Please enlighten the class on those $700 - $1300 K guns.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:11:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
you're welcome...

View Quote

Yeah I don't need that to get into busting clays

I'd rather buy a transferable Uzi for that quid
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:40:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
you're welcome...

Oh I thought he said 7000 my bad
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#26]
What do you clays guys think of the new Belgium built Winchester 101?

Got to shoot one this a.m.  It was nice, but I don't know what nice is except for obvious superficial workmanship.  Even in this category, the winchester was pretty nice.

Researching prices, they seem to be very fair for an O/U that isn't in the junk gun class.   Looks like close to $1100-$1200 of you can catch a good sale, or under $1500 otherwise.

I also handled, but didn't get to shoot a beretta A400 Xcel.  That thing is wild looking.  The owner could really tear shit up with it.   What's that, about $1500-$1600 real world prices?

Recoil isn't a huge issue, but I don't want a punishing gun.  I like light 20ga loads out of my 870, but will go to 12ga if it's a gun that won't beat me up.

Again, I'm a novice and don't know what I want other than a gun that I can grow into in sporting clays, informal skeet, and some trap.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:17:32 AM EDT
[#27]
I have never seen a Winchester 101 used in a registered sporting clays or FITASC shoot (outside of a novice).

101s are famous for heavy recoil.

A400s are excellent semi autos, easy to clean and very soft shooting.  They are worth every penny.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:37:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have never seen a Winchester 101 used in a registered sporting clays or FITASC shoot (outside of a novice).

101s are famous for heavy recoil.

A400s are excellent semi autos, easy to clean and very soft shooting.  They are worth every penny.
View Quote

The new ones are supposed to be much better.  They are a different gun.  Made back in Belgium, not Japan.  But the numbers do speak to their adoption.

Really liking the A400. Nooks like something my wife can shoot too.  While not ideal, I can't swing two guns right now, so if I can get something that both of us can start with, It would be ideal.  She is no slouch when it comes to shooting, but getting pushed around for hours by a 12ga with no recoil reduction is going to get old.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:45:28 AM EDT
[#29]
If your budget is dead at the $700+/-.

Look around for an older Citori with standard Invector  barrels, chokes are available in every configuation under the sun and cheap compared to others.
They are around in your price range if you look hard enough you can find them in Trap, Skeet and Field models.
Every now and then you find a closet queen someone bought and lost interest in the games.

Trap and Skeet guns will get you straighter stocks and higher ribs plus longer barrels much better for target games, IF they fit and shoot where you look the label means nothing (S,T,SC).

As far as a true sporting models Might be an old GTI  model (which in my opinion were pretty much rebranded field models with a few tweeks) around but most of the sporting models are post Invector making them Invector-Plus which means more $$.

Other than my 3gun shotguns I only own and shoot "Trap" guns because that is what fit me best and I don't much shoot trap, every other shotgun game but.

Good luck and enjoy the shotgun sports.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:51:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If your budget is dead at the $700+/-.

Look around for an older Citori with standard Invector  barrels, chokes are available in every configuation under the sun and cheap compared to others.
They are around in your price range if you look hard enough you can find them in Trap, Skeet and Field models.
Every now and then you find a closet queen someone bought and lost interest in the games.

Trap and Skeet guns will get you straighter stocks and higher ribs plus longer barrels much better for target games, IF they fit and shoot where you look the label means nothing (S,T,SC).

As far as a true sporting models Might be an old GTI  model (which in my opinion were pretty much rebranded field models with a few tweeks) around but most of the sporting models are post Invector making them Invector-Plus which means more $$.

Other than my 3gun shotguns I only own and shoot "Trap" guns because that is what fit me best and I don't much shoot trap, every other shotgun game but.

Good luck and enjoy the shotgun sports.

View Quote

Very solid advice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top