Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2014 2:58:34 PM EDT
Hey! A 20 gauge pump kicks more than my 10/22 !!!  All kidding aside I thought the kick of my HD 20G 870 would be considerably less than my 12G model. As I found out yesterday that's not the case.  The other family members who may need to use it are NOT into shooting the 12 gauge gun.  So I'm going to try and alleviate the recoil of the 20 gauge.   If you've gone through a similar exercise with a 20 gauge please chime in with your thoughts!

1 Replace the recoil pad.  The piece on this Youth Model blows!  Hard as a rock.  Are there any R&R units available or will I have to go the fitted route?

2 Going to outfit the gun like my 12 G Shotty.  A magazine extension and a velcro side saddle with at least 4 extra rounds.  I'm hoping the extra weight will be worth some recoil reduction.

3 This is something I'm probably not going to spend the money on.  namely a barrel porting job.  Only if I hear here that it's worth every penny!

4th and unlikely too.....Try and find a Youth Semi -Auto 20G

Thanks in advance for any help!

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Mercury recoil reducer?  Or just add weight in the stock.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Do they sell "Low recoil" ammo? I have some for my 870 12gauge and it actually makes it tolerable to shoot.

Found it

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=89224

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Drop the magnum loads you probably were using.  A hit with a light load is better than a magnum miss and follow up shots are easier.  Mercury recoil reducer in the stock and a Kickeeze or Limbsaver recoil pad.

By far a semi auto 20 with lighter loads is about as sweet as it gets.

Barrel porting does not reduce recoil all that much.  If you do it along with back boring and adding weight, it helps but not enough for HD uses.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:37:29 PM EDT
[#4]
If your just shooting trap or skeet, look at the Winchester Win Lite 20ga or Fiocchi Target Trainer (both not easy to find). I just got back from shooting trap with my 11yo son. In his 11-87 youth model the Win Lite is  a real soft shooter. However it doesn't cycle the semi auto  action. They would work well in a pump.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#5]
in addition to the mentioned sorbothane recoil pads and weight addition...if you are equating "recoil" with being smacked in the cheek... look for a rubberized saddle that fits over the comb of the stock.. this will lessen the jolt to your face.... field grade guns have a drop to the stock, and if your cheek is on the stock where it belongs, under recoil the upward sloping stock will smack you in the cheek... skeet or trap wood breaks away from your cheek... you may be able to find shims that alleviate the drop angle problem if different wood is not available
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Shooting the 2 3/4" buck and Rem Sluggers.  I'm sure field loads would be soft..  Gun is strictly a self defense tool.  I don't mind the 12.  Especially with low recoil rounds and my Magpul stock.  I'd like to lessen the felt "kick" on the gun for my wife and daughter's sake. Never had a 20 before.  I naively thought it would be a much softer shooting gun.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:20:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shooting the 2 3/4" buck and Rem Sluggers.  I'm sure field loads would be soft..  Gun is strictly a self defense tool.  I don't mind the 12.  Especially with low recoil rounds and my Magpul stock.  I'd like to lessen the felt "kick" on the gun for my wife and daughter's sake. Never had a 20 before.  I naively thought it would be a much softer shooting gun.  
View Quote

Well not much you can do with the loads if your looking at HD use. I found the Federal 20ga Personal Defense 00 Buck about the lightest. I tested a lot of 20ga buck with my 870 pump vs my 12ga Mossberg 930 semi. The 12ga was with out a doubt softer shooting. The 11-87 Youth 20ga took some of the sting out of 20ga buck. Was one of the reasons why I sold the pump and got the semi. Try a better recoil pad and see if that helps enough.

Ive heard good things about the Mossberg SA20

Heres the 1187 Youth
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:59:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Just  let them deal with it.

Winchester, 1200,20g youth was my 7th Christmas gift.

I wasnt any bigger than any other 7yr old.

Adapt. Its a 20gauge.

If its REALLY so unbearable, just get a. 410.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just  let them deal with it.

Winchester, 1200,20g youth was my 7th Christmas gift.

I wasnt any bigger than any other 7yr old.

Adapt. Its a 20gauge.

If its REALLY so unbearable, just get a. 410.
View Quote

You know I think you're right!  If I "sell" it as not bad it won't be!  I think I'll try to get this stock.  It has a much better pad and call it good.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Try this. I found that it makes a big difference.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:15:35 AM EDT
[#11]
]Limbsaver pads work awesome.

I use one on my 20ga870.  I have a short stock with a slip over pad. So its got two recoil pads.  Lop works for me and my much smaller wife.

I use the same system on my 12ga 500.  Shot 200 slugs one day, mostly 3 in.  Slightly bruised but not really hurtin

Personally i believe recoil is mostly in your head.  Have them shoot the 20g listen to them bitch, give them a solid 12ga round or two, then let them shoot the 20 again.

I think the word i'm lookin for is perception.  I thought the 375h&h was the end all for me, till i shot something bigger.  Felt the same way about the 06,45/70,300 etc..
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:26:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Learned the same thing. I ended up getting a 12 gauge 1100. Shoots a lot softer than a 20 gauge 870. Also have a 12 gauge 870 with 2 mods. The Knox recoil reduction stock which works well if you hold the gun correctly, and a used barrel with an older Poly Choke that was ported BEHIND the choke. That barrel made a huge difference. But honestly, the 1100 is the softest shooter.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:00:17 AM EDT
[#13]
a rubberized saddle pad attached to the comb helps lessen the smack to the face... this one has been on my Benelli for multigun for over 8 years ... starting to show a little wear

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:36:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes I know about the "Push-Pull technique and to tell the truth I wasn't following it very strictly when I took the 20G out.  I'm going to keep it and upgrade the recoil pad.  That video is great.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 2:09:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Awesome video.

+1

Low-recoil shells

Get wood buttstock.

Get Limbsaver pad.

Add weight.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 2:45:40 AM EDT
[#16]
This is what I use:

http://www.pachmayr.com/home/vindicator-pistol.php

You have to trim the top rib w/ a pocket knife to fit the 20 ga's smaller frame.  Run #3 buck, very easy to run.  You can get extended magazines for it as well, may soak up some of the recoil to begin w/.  I run a full choke.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:48:53 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd guess that if shooters are bothered by the 20ga. youth model recoil, it is probably because they are not holding/shouldering the gun correctly. LOP may still be too long or (more likely) too short! Stock fit is critical with any shotgun.

Try this;

1) Start shooters out with some light birdshot loads. Avoid the "Heavy Field" loads and Buckshot or Slugs (for now).

2) Have the shooter shoulder the gun by raising the muzzle to about 45 degrees with the ground and place the butt into the shoulder pocket THEN lower the muzzle until the stock has a good weld with the shooters cheek. This is a quick fix for a stock that doesn't quite fit the shooter but not a substitute for getting a properly fitting gun. Try to avoid craning the neck to find the stock.

3) Pull the stock into the shoulder pocket with the shooting hand while pushing the forearm out with the support hand. Please note that this does not have to be knuckle-whitening, arms-shaking force. A solid but comfortable grip with both hands should suffice.

4) make sure the shooters follow-through on the shot. Many novice shooters actually begin to lower the gun after they have mentally decided to take the shot but before their finger actually pulls the trigger. I actually had to show my Son video of what he was doing before he believed me!

5) As their confidence improves with light loads you can move up to better suited hunting and defensive loads.

On a personal note. I am not a big fan of training shooters with a 20ga. I have found the full weight of a 12ga combined with very light loads (on par with any 20) is a better platform for new shooters.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'd guess that if shooters are bothered by the 20ga. youth model recoil, it is probably because they are not holding/shouldering the gun correctly. LOP may still be too long or (more likely) too short! Stock fit is critical with any shotgun.

Try this;

1) Start shooters out with some light birdshot loads. Avoid the "Heavy Field" loads and Buckshot or Slugs (for now).

2) Have the shooter shoulder the gun by raising the muzzle to about 45 degrees with the ground and place the butt into the shoulder pocket THEN lower the muzzle until the stock has a good weld with the shooters cheek. This is a quick fix for a stock that doesn't quite fit the shooter but not a substitute for getting a properly fitting gun. Try to avoid craning the neck to find the stock.

3) Pull the stock into the shoulder pocket with the shooting hand while pushing the forearm out with the support hand. Please note that this does not have to be knuckle-whitening, arms-shaking force. A solid but comfortable grip with both hands should suffice.

4) make sure the shooters follow-through on the shot. Many novice shooters actually begin to lower the gun after they have mentally decided to take the shot but before their finger actually pulls the trigger. I actually had to show my Son video of what he was doing before he believed me!

5) As their confidence improves with light loads you can move up to better suited hunting and defensive loads.

Good stuff Makarov  Thanks

On a personal note. I am not a big fan of training shooters with a 20ga. I have found the full weight of a 12ga combined with very light loads (on par with any 20) is a better platform for new shooters.
View Quote

Good stuff Makarov  Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top