Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2014 12:38:45 AM EDT
I just bought a Ruger Red Label that I plan on shooting trap with and noticed that the lower barrel has a lighter trigger pull than the top and also, obviously the lower barrel is on a lower axis than the upper and therefore recoil should feel a little different than the top barrel.

My question is if there is a problem with using the bottom barrel primarily for trap and as the first barrel to be fired during hunting which will result in it be shot way more than the top one.

Is it a common phenomena to only use one barrel when shooting trap? I have always switched between the two every other game of 25 shots. But then again I was shooting a SxS back then and it didn't really seem to matter to me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:30:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just bought a Ruger Red Label that I plan on shooting trap with and noticed that the lower barrel has a lighter trigger pull than the top and also, obviously the lower barrel is on a lower axis than the upper and therefore recoil should feel a little different than the top barrel.

My question is if there is a problem with using the bottom barrel primarily for trap and as the first barrel to be fired during hunting which will result in it be shot way more than the top one.

Is it a common phenomena to only use one barrel when shooting trap? I have always switched between the two every other game of 25 shots. But then again I was shooting a SxS back then and it didn't really seem to matter to me.
View Quote

No problem. That is the way 99.9% of Trap shooters use their O/U guns

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:36:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Boy it's great to have my favorite shotgun shell supplier answering questions!!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No problem. That is the way 99.9% of Trap shooters use their O/U guns

This. It's very common, and is not an issue.

Shooting the bottom barrel only will also put less stress on the hinge mechanism compared to the top barrel, since the bottom one is closer and puts less leverage on the hinge when fired. I don't know that it will make a meaningful difference in the life span of the gun, but in theory, 100k shots through the bottom barrel would cause less wear than 100k shots through the top barrel.

Boy it's great to have my favorite shotgun shell supplier answering questions!!!!

I was thinking when Mr. Pare (whether its the younger or the older) added to the conversation we should all circle our chairs and listen for a while. Those guys know a few things about the shotgun sports.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:17:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Seems most guys in my league use the top barrel because its easier to load.  I go back and forth.  For some reason on my CZ Canvasback I always use the lower barrel.  On the Franchi Instinct I use the top.  On the side by side I usually go with the left barrel.  I miss equally well no matter what barrel I use.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:35:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I'm moving to Fairbanks and am not anticipating there being any three gun to shoot so I am planning on shooting trap until I'm good enough to join a league. I don't think it should take too long since I seem to learn shooting sports quickly.

This is why I bought the Red Label. Its funny too because I originally was going to trade for a Franchi Instinct L but when I saw the Ruger on the used gun rack for $999 used but unfired I instantly fell in love. The stock has great figure for a $1000 gun too and I love the aggressive checkering. Not to mention the gun breaks open way easier than the Ringneck I traded in tword it which will be great on the trap field. I start getting really wore out after four back to back games not to mention shooting the SxS 100 rounds straight would require a glove on my support hand so I wouldn't get burned and that just looks silly on a trap field.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:50:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Won't hurt anything.

I almost exclusively shoot my top barrel, but that's because my gun has fixed chokes, and the top barrel is full, while the bottom is modified. I shoot better with the full choke.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:17:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I like you guys.  You've always done right by me.  I ordered a Beretta 687 Sporting Clays gun from you in about 1990/1991. We went to a Skeet shoot in Phoenix in about 2007 IIRC, ammo availability was an issue and you can't bring enough on the plane to get through a shoot, so I called up Gamaliels and asked if you'd deliver to the hotel we were staying at - no problem.  Several flats of ammo waiting at the front desk when we checked in, I was Hero for a day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top