Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2014 8:56:50 PM EDT

so I sent my Mossberg 930 spx out to be threaded for choke tubes.... I was thinking if I used full choke I could get tight groups at 25 yards, say with in a 10 inch square, i bought a box of federal flight control buck, and at 37 yards all the pellets and the wad where in a 6 inch square,  i was totally impressed, but not so much with critical defense hornady as it sucked at 25  yards.

so i though i could just choke my barrel and get about the same results with my home load, well not even close... i am shooting home cast #4 buck 21 pellets in a winAA12 clone wad with AA hulls and 16 grain of titewad powder, and no matter what i did even going up to 22 grain of powder, even waxing the pellets in the wad, even went to 4 other wads including some reclaimed flight control wads. and at most i get 50 percent of the pellets in the target and the other 50 who the hell knows where they go.

i have to have tight buck at 25 yards, i don't want a huge spread, and i don't want to blow hundreds on federal ammo, i though about sluthing a round of the federal but the wad cannot be found on the market that i know of, i emailed bpi to ask them but no reply, guess i should call

any way does any one have any suggestions to get that range out of my buck shot, i have tried full, mod, imp mod, cyl and turkey choke tubes my best pattern was imp mod and it was pretty decent at that distance with walmart suprema ammo but not with my home load
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I have tried to load up buck also, can't even get close to Federal FC, and i found out that Hornady's verson does not come close either. Federal has got it right.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:41:03 PM EDT
[#2]
You need to cast harder. Buffer will also help. Just a thousandth  will make a big difference in your choke. How fast it chokes down. Buckshot is way different than birdshot.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:27:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Casting hard and buffering will help some but you can only get so close, you're not going to be able to duplicate the Flite Control. What are you casting your shot out of? The harder it is the lest it'll deform and it will pattern better. I wouldn't use too tight a choke as that can deform the buckshot and make it pattern poorly.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#4]
How concentric are your pellets?  I heard old timers talk about rolling shot on a piece of glass using an upside down tea cup to round their shot before loading.  Could be an old wives tale.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:12:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have tried to load up buck also, can't even get close to Federal FC, and i found out that Hornady's verson does not come close either. Federal has got it right.
View Quote

It's not that Federal has it right, it's that the Hornady stuff is WAY faster. 1600fps as opposed to 1145fps. The faster the shot, the quicker it opens up. If you buy the Federal with Flite Control at a higher fps, it opens up much faster than  the 132-00.

OP, you aren't going to even get close to Flite Control  /  Versa-Tite with hand loads and standard wads.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's not that Federal has it right, it's that the Hornady stuff is WAY faster. 1600fps as opposed to 1145fps. The faster the shot, the quicker it opens up. If you buy the Federal with Flite Control at a higher fps, it opens up much faster than  the 132-00.

OP, you aren't going to even get close to Flite Control  /  Versa-Tite with hand loads and standard wads.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

as far as fps you are right on their... the hornady shit sux, but then again it is 1600 fps.  I did find a guy who had a shit tone of fc wads for sale.   also I am using a home made #4 buck shot mold I made right now I think I have a  IMP MOD choke in the gun, it seems to choke the tula "suprema" buck shot the best.

the chokes I own are as follows  imp, imp mod, full    I do have a few fc wads that I recovered and ran threw the dishwasher to heat them up and let the petals fold back down I might try loading them some time soon.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:43:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

as far as fps you are right on their... the hornady shit sux, but then again it is 1600 fps.  I did find a guy who had a shit tone of fc wads for sale.   also I am using a home made #4 buck shot mold I made right now I think I have a  IMP MOD choke in the gun, it seems to choke the tula "suprema" buck shot the best.

the chokes I own are as follows  imp, imp mod, full    I do have a few fc wads that I recovered and ran threw the dishwasher to heat them up and let the petals fold back down I might try loading them some time soon.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just so you're aware, Flite Control wads one work with Cylinder and Improved Cylinder chokes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:03:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Just so you're aware, Flite Control wads one work with Cylinder and Improved Cylinder chokes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

huh ?
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:28:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

huh ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

huh ?

Testing has shown that tighter chokes will often make worse patterns for Flite Control.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:51:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

huh ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

huh ?

Sorry. Stupid auto correct (I'm on a tablet) . It should say "only"  instead of "one".

As was stated, once you go tighter than improved cylinder, the pattern begins to open dramatically.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#11]

I am thinking about getting a regular "cylinder" choke to put my 930 back to cylinder bore ( like it was factory ), it currently has a I/c ( improved cylinder ) choke in it, which does ok with suprema buck shot but works well with nothing else.

once I get back to cylinder, I am still not having good luck loading my own buckshot, I am loading #4 buck and testing the load at 25 yards and am lucky to get 50% of the pellets on a 15x15 sheet of paper ( bullseye  target ) to me that's just not

acceptable, so any help on a good wad to use with AA hulls, if their isn't any thing good for the AA hull then which hull/wad and powder combo would be better then what I am using ( aa red hulls, waa12 white wad, titewad powder ).

trying to get coffee can sized groups or smaller at 25 yards is really driving me freaking crazy, so some one get me pointed in the right direction, with links to good wads and all that even load data that gets you the groups I am looking for would

rock, I have attached below a pic of two different chokes both cylinder that I am thinking of getting, advice on them would be nice, if the 38 dollar one is worth it or get the 18 dollar one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131177736393?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380899016282?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:28:53 AM EDT
[#12]
You aren't going to get coffee can size paterns at 25 yards with anything aside from low recoil federal Flite Control. Doesn't matter what powder, wads, hulls, etc you use. Expect a 2' pattern at 25 yards with a cylinder choke.  Just the way it is.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:22:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You aren't going to get coffee can size paterns at 25 yards with anything aside from low recoil federal Flite Control. Doesn't matter what powder, wads, hulls, etc you use. Expect a 2' pattern at 25 yards with a cylinder choke.  Just the way it is.
View Quote

not true, I get a 15" square at 25 with the suprema  buckshot from Walmart, and that's ok I guess but surely a hand loaded round can produce a little better group, but if not I know a place to buy the flightcontroll wads so I guess ill just buy them and go from their
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:17:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Ahhhh, thats why Federal has it right, they done there homework.
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Sorta. Like I said, if you buy the faster federal Flite Control stuff, it shoots just like the Hornady.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#16]
The only loads federal makes with the FC wad that go 1600 fps are steel loads, not lead buckshot,and there steel BBB and BB shoot very tight patterns with open chokes. With lead or even copper plated lead buckshot they distort the pellets and go of in different directions when they reach speeds much over 12 to 1300 fps.
Quoted:
Sorta. Like I said, if you buy the faster federal Flite Control stuff, it shoots just like the Hornady.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The only loads federal makes with the FC wad that go 1600 fps are steel loads, not lead buckshot,and there steel BBB and BB shoot very tight patterns with open chokes. With lead or even copper plated lead buckshot they distort the pellets and go of in different directions when they reach speeds much over 12 to 1300 fps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I found flight control 1345 fps 00 buck today at gander mountain for 5 bucks a box, that's not a bad price when you consider the R&D and the price of all the components to work a load up, so now I need to buy the shit out of it hahaha
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top